ADVERTISEMENT

Top Players Depart Ahead of 2023-24 Season

E2dog82

Cow
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2011
I was scanning the Army Athletics website and noticed an article about the naming of this year's team captains--Charlie Peterson and Kwabena Davis.

Men's Basketball Name Charlie Peterson and Kwabena Davis Captains

They're both Firsties, nothing particularly surprising about their selection as co-captains.

However, reading over the article, I noticed the following comment about Charlie Peterson:

"His 7.9 points per game last season are the most on the team amongst returners."

I knew Peterson wasn't close to being the leading scorer, so I checked the current 2023-24 season roster, and three players who should have been returning for this season are no longer listed:

Jalen Rucker, 16.6 ppg

Ethan Roberts, 12.4 ppg

Coleton Benson, 11.6 ppg

So along with the graduation of Chris Mann, 10 ppg, they've lost the top four scorers from last season.

Appears Army is returning to the dark days of the 1990s as the perennial basement dweller in the Patriot League [Sigh . . .]

Both Roberts and Benson were coming off outstanding season performances as plebes and they clearly had sufficient talent to compete for starting positions elsewhere. I guess the lure of the transfer portal was too much to resist, especially after the coach that had recruited them, Jimmy Allen, decided not to stay at Army.

Rucker was going to be a Firstie and would already have a service obligation. Not sure why he would opt out of the program. I'll leave it at that in the absence of any knowledge of the circumstances. Wouldn't be right to speculate.

We already knew that we lost outstanding players who had not yet begun their cow year, so I am not at all surprised to lose some who had. After all, Allen recruited them too.

We'll see how things go.

Reactions: jiacono
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT