ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL ARMY-RICE PREDICTION THREAD

DocJayy

General of the Army
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2006
Okay now - this is our first two game winning streak under Monken.

Army 30
Rice 24

HOME COOKING IS STILL IN EFFECT!

As usual, I have no prediction of the score.
wink.r191677.gif
I just dropped in to say that it's been a long time since the Army Team has kept things together after a strong outing. Lots of practice dealing with adversity seemed to leave the team somewhat unprepared for dealing with prosperity.

It'll be interesting to see how this team "bounces back from a win". If we're right about Monken, the team should do alright.

Rice is not a bad team at all and better than Ball State if you ask me.

Army 27

Rice 24

Two pretty good offenses, two bad defenses - get your track shoes on.

Rice throws it a lot in a hurry-up - we had better win the turnover battle.

Optimist

Army 42
Rice 39

ARMY 24
RICE 20

As already mentioned, another close game, but we "hang on" once again and move to 3-3.

Originally posted by swburke:
Two pretty good offenses, two bad defenses - get your track shoes on.

Rice throws it a lot in a hurry-up - we had better win the turnover battle.

Optimist

Army 42
Rice 39
Rice has done very well in the second half all season; so we need to get out ahead early and hang on in the second half again. Holding down the turnovers and the penalties will be very important this game and Grochowski will have continue the job he did against BSU.

The Rice QB injured his left shoulder (not his passing arm) in the Miss State game, but he came back in the second half and played the entire game last week. He's been a threat running the ball, but if he has a bad shoulder, he may not push it as much.

Army 41
Rice 38

As much as I want us to be 3-3 by the end of Saturday, I just think we are still learning how to win and win again.

Rice 34
Army 28

Last week I listed the reasons I thought Ball State would win the game and I was delighted to be wrong - I am hoping that my reverse prediction will result in another Army win this week so I will say why I think Rice should win this one - Rice is apparently huge across the line and will have a big size advantage over us - Rice has played 2 top 15 teams and Army has played 1 - We were shut out at Stanford and Rice scored at least twice against both Notre Dame and Texas A&M - Rice has a good QB who is a very good passer and pass defense is always our Achilles heel - Army has now won 1 game in a row and Rice has won two games in a row - Army has not won back to back games since the 2010 season (I was at the big Duke win :)) - I think Rice has won the last 2 games against us and I believe I read Rice has been to 2 bowl games in a row? In any event I think Rice should win this game something like Rice - 38 - Army - 31 but I am hoping that my prediction will be wrong two weeks in a row and help Army pull off the upset again! :)

Originally posted by pregirlsgrad:
Last week I listed the reasons I thought Ball State would win the game and I was delighted to be wrong - I am hoping that my reverse prediction will result in another Army win this week so I will say why I think Rice should win this one - Rice is apparently huge across the line and will have a big size advantage over us - Rice has played 2 top 15 teams and Army has played 1 - We were shut out at Stanford and Rice scored at least twice against both Notre Dame and Texas A&M - Rice has a good QB who is a very good passer and pass defense is always our Achilles heel - Army has now won 1 game in a row and Rice has won two games in a row - Army has not won back to back games since the 2010 season (I was at the big Duke win :)) - I think Rice has won the last 2 games against us and I believe I read Rice has been to 2 bowl games in a row? In any event I think Rice should win this game something like Rice - 38 - Army - 31 but I am hoping that my prediction will be wrong two weeks in a row and help Army pull off the upset again! :)
Rice has one absolutely huge offensive tackle, Gray, 6-8 345, but at an average of 307, their OL is only slightly bigger than Ball States at 303, and considerably smaller than Buffalo's at 319. They also have one very big DT, Covington, 6-1 300, but their 4-man DL averages 265, which is 7 pounds bigger than Wake Forest's 4 man line, and about the same average as most 3 man DLs including our own at 262. They use a 4-2-5; so they have a nickel back instead of a third LB, and their two LBs are a bit smaller than most at 220 and 225.

Rice has played in 11 bowl games since 1938 with 4 appearances in the Cotton Bowl. In their last appearance in the Cotton Bowl in 1957, they lost to Navy 20-7. Rice has earned bowl bids the past two seasons, and beat AFA 33-14 in the Armed Forces bowl in 2012 and lost to Mississippi State 44-7 in the Liberty Bowl in 2013.

Army's record against Rice is 1-2-1 with losses of 38-31 in 2008 and 48-14 in 2006. We tied in 1995 and won in 1958.

We're equally deficient in rushing defense (93d) and passing defense (94th) this season; so pick your poison. Rice has a balanced attack, similar but not equal to Stanford's. They rank 37th in Rushing Offense and 72d in Passing, but they have more passing yards than rushing yards. Buffalo and Stanford both rank higher in passing and Yale has far better stats in both rushing and passing, which suggests that it's nothing we haven't seen before.

They will be tougher to beat than Ball State, but I'm hoping that momentum is on our side and we'll play relatively error free football.

So far the Army Defense hasn't shown the ability to stop an offense of Rice's caliber. Allowing a mediocre Ball State offense to get 24 points doesn't point to any substantial improvement, therefore I would anticipate Rice is going to put a good number of points on the board.

Rice 41
Army 31

Vegas Line Had Army plus 2.5 ....will take the BlackKnights in this one with a small bet....Won last weekend with Army LETS MAKE IT 2 IN ROW .....Army 34....Rice 30....GO ARMY
uzi.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT