ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL ARMY-BUFFALO PREDICTION THREAD

NJFAN

Commander in Chief
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I do have some concerns with our injuries up front on the OL and will we have the type of pass rush that can slow down the Bulls passing attack.

But I also think that we will see the results of a coaching staff that has the team playing as hard and physical as we have seen since the 2010-11 Armed Forces Bowl winning squad.

Army 28
Buffalo 20

This will be a close, only because Buffalo has one game under their belts and we are just kicking it off.

Army 24
Buffalo 21

Late FG is the difference

Not much data to go on and first games are a crap shoot. Buffalo has one under their belt and that is to their advantage. We are at home and need to get the W.

If you look at the schedule, if we don't win here, it could be a long first year for Monken and Co. Lots of experince in the offensive backfield - like others really want to see if the D has improved.

Army 31
Buffalo 24

Buffalo receivers will find it more difficult getting catches over our taller and more experienced secondary, and the new and improved Army defense will make up for an inexperienced Army OL. Buffalo will have a hard time stopping Dixon and Baggett.

Army 24
Buffalo 13

Buffalo won't be able to stop our offense, which ultimately will be our best defense on Saturday

army-2011-nike-pro-combat-football-uniforms-and-cleats-17-600x443.jpg

Army 28
Buffalo 17

No prediction here except to say a win is a must. Beat Buffalo and six wins are possible. A loss probably relegates us to another miserable season as far as wins and losses go.
flush.r191677.gif

My gut feel is that most of the predictions on the thread for Army's offensive scoring output are too optimistic. I'm very concerned about the lack of depth and experience owing to injuries on the O-line. Also, I'm thinking that transitioning to Monken's system vs Ellerson's is still a work in progress and will take more time into the season to truly be fruitful.

I'm banking on the Defense showing improvement over last year and figuring that the Army D will be better able to stop Buffalo's offense than 1-AA level Duquesne.

Playing at home ought to give Army a bit of an edge. Odds makers are picking Army by 3.5 to 4. They're probably unsure about Army but influenced by Buffalo's struggle against a mediocre FCS Duquesne team, as well as Army playing at home.

I'm not confident but I'll go with

Army 20
Buffalo 17

If I'm wrong about the Defense, it could be an ugly game for Army and a long, tough season.

Tough and tight first game for us, but once we put aside the 1st quarter jitters, it's on.

Army 30
Buffalo 21

Originally posted by E2dog82:

My gut feel is that most of the predictions on the thread for Army's offensive scoring output are too optimistic. I'm very concerned about the lack of depth and experience owing to injuries on the O-line. Also, I'm thinking that transitioning to Monken's system vs Ellerson's is still a work in progress and will take more time into the season to truly be fruitful.

I'm banking on the Defense showing improvement over last year and figuring that the Army D will be better able to stop Buffalo's offense than 1-AA level Duquesne.

Playing at home ought to give Army a bit of an edge. Odds makers are picking Army by 3.5 to 4. They're probably unsure about Army but influenced by Buffalo's struggle against a mediocre FCS Duquesne team, as well as Army playing at home.

I'm not confident but I'll go with

Army 20
Buffalo 17

If I'm wrong about the Defense, it could be an ugly game for Army and a long, tough season.
Pretty solid response to the many who looked at Buffalo's offensive success against a pretty undermanned Duquesne D.

If we are able to perform better on the defensive side than Duquesne did, we are in for a long season.

A thought just crossed my mind to look at Monken's first game as HC at Georgia Southern in 2010, then the second game caught my eye too.

His first game was against Savannah State at home. SS did go 1-10 that year, so maybe not a good indicator. However, GS was 5-6 in the 2009 season and did not run the option offense, so GS got a new HC (first season) and had to learn a new offensive scheme. GS ran for 61-431 yards and passed 7-10-0 for 109 yards. GS had one turnover, to zero for their opponent. Defense held SS to 80 yards passing and 92 yards rushing. Game was 27-0 at halftime and ended 48-3.

The next weekend, GS played eventual 9-4 Navy at NMCMS and lost 13-7. Navy kicked two FGs in the first quarter and Dobbs scored in the 2nd. GS score on a pass in the 3rd quarter with one minute to go. GS rushing was 39-73 while passing 4-9-0 for 36 yards; the Squids were 43-109 rushing and 5-8-0 for 84. GS lost a fumble, Navy had no turnovers. Navy averaged 285 yards a game that season, while GS averaged 261.

My take away, Monken had his team ready to run his option offense in the first game, and I think the players had not run it the previous four seasons. And his team came out with a very decent defense in its first two games, and averaged 298 total yards per game.

And in the second game, both teams played against defenses familiar with the option, and they pretty much shut down both offenses.

So I'm thinking Army's offense is going to come out against Buffalo humming, and so will its defense. Monken has raised the expectations to nothing less than best. I expect Army's first four drives to lead to three scores and the Bills clearly not ready for the misdirection and speed of the Black Knights.

I think you are going to see a lot of mistakes and a lack of big / explosive plays. JM will play it more conservative than RE, who by the end, with our D, was going for it on 4th and 2 on our own 35. JM will have the mentality (since he wasnt here) that draggin the Bulls into the deep 4th Qtr water is just fine. The lack of mobility of Licata and being home will help us edge it out. ARMY 26 BUFF 24

Sal picks Buffalo, 28-27. C'mon, Sal. What? We miss an extra point? A two point conversion at the end of the game?

Phil Steele, on CFB Daily, has us 34-21.

I believe we will win big. 35-17.

Beat Buffalo!

Got two out of three right.
Buffalo had a hard time stopping Dixon and Baggett once they got passed the LOS.
Carnegie and Jenkins looked very good in coverage and are almost half way to matching last season's total INTs in the first game.
Linebacker play was poor and DL wasn't able to put on much of a pass rush. Need some work there.

Would never have expected us to score that many points, and we certainly needed them in the end.

Thanks, but it was the Black Knights of the Hudson who WON!!!!

Congrats to the ARMY football team!!!! and the Women's soccer team (won also), and men's soccer team (tied Zoomies).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT