ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go!

ArmyMadDog

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2011
10440107_10152521069059137_8746293318323788856_n.jpg

Originally posted by sflonghorngirl:
Big college football fan here. Like to get a pulse of your season predictions. Bowl eligible team?
Really hard to say now, but come back after summer practice has concluded.
wink.r191677.gif

I have a feeling Army will be a really good team this year, there going to come into every game with a chance to win, I think they upset some people who would otherwise write them off as an easy win, I think their going into Standford stadium and playing them real tough this year

Big college football fan here. Like to get a pulse of your season predictions. Bowl eligible team?
New coaching staff with different systems makes it difficult to predict, but Army has a lot of experience returning to include a very talented and deep running back corps which is the heart of the offense. Same is true of the WR corps with one of the starters from last season currently on third team in the depth chart. Offensive line is a mixed bag with some changes in philosophy having caused some moves. Defensively we have a lot of experience returning on the DL and the defensive backfield is the best we've put on the field in years with plenty of experience. A lot will depend on how well some of the new linebackers perform in the new defensive system, but I think we'll be improved on defense this year.

Personally I think we're bowl bound this year.

Originally posted by Copplin82:
I have a feeling Army will be a really good team this year, there going to come into every game with a chance to win, I think they upset some people who would otherwise write them off as an easy win, I think their going into Standford stadium and playing them real tough this year
This is Stanford's "rebuilding" year. They lost 25 starters. I think y'all have a great chance to keep it close. I hope I'm wrong, but think this is the beginning of mediocre football for Stanford. I want to be a David Shaw fan but his conservative play calling has cost them a few games. And 1st year without Harbaugh's recruits.

Originally posted by goodknight65:
New coaching staff with different systems makes it difficult to predict, but Army has a lot of experience returning to include a very talented and deep running back corps which is the heart of the offense. Same is true of the WR corps with one of the starters from last season currently on third team in the depth chart. Offensive line is a mixed bag with some changes in philosophy having caused some moves. Defensively we have a lot of experience returning on the DL and the defensive backfield is the best we've put on the field in years with plenty of experience. A lot will depend on how well some of the new linebackers perform in the new defensive system, but I think we'll be improved on defense this year.

Personally I think we're bowl bound this year.
You think possible 6-1 record going into Air Force weekend?

6-1 before AFA would be a tad optimistic. I would expect us to be underdogs against Wake Forest, Ball State, and Rice as well as Stanford of course. A 4-3 record going into the AFA game would make most Army fans ecstatic.

Originally posted by goodknight65:
6-1 before AFA would be a tad optimistic. I would expect us to be underdogs against Wake Forest, Ball State, and Rice as well as Stanford of course. A 4-3 record going into the AFA game would make most Army fans ecstatic.
Right on. I'm use to higher standards at Texas. Hope Strong will direct us in the right path.

Good luck on your season!
smile.r191677.gif

I think we'll need 7 wins because I don't believe games vs. non-scholly FCS teams (i.e., Yale) count towards bowl eligibility. Throw in the fact that the Navy game doesn't count either because of its late date and that's a tall order. I wouldn't be surprised by 5-6 wins going into Navy but the stars would have to align to get us 7.

On the other hand, it's hard to say how good other teams will be. If last year we'd beaten the teams on our schedule with one or fewer wins vs. other FBS teams, we would've gone bowling.

Originally posted by aleclee:
I think we'll need 7 wins because I don't believe games vs. non-scholly FCS teams (i.e., Yale) count towards bowl eligibility. Throw in the fact that the Navy game doesn't count either because of its late date and that's a tall order. I wouldn't be surprised by 5-6 wins going into Navy but the stars would have to align to get us 7.

On the other hand, it's hard to say how good other teams will be. If last year we'd beaten the teams on our schedule with one or fewer wins vs. other FBS teams, we would've gone bowling.
I am pretty much in agreement with you, but I'm pretty comfortable saying that we can pull of a solid 7 win season.

With Army you can usually tell by the first game if you'll be shooting blanks all season. If Army does good vs Buffalo (who should be weaker than last year) then things look good. If Stanford was at Home I might like Army's chances. Stanford struggled with option for first half last year. They are built real tall ( 6'6" was short on Stanford OL) and all those Army midgets running around their legs gave them problems. Alas Army playing on the West Coast could be a killer since long away trips are like kryptonite to Army. Maybe coach Monk has some new training approaches from his Navy days. Monk beat Florida last year and Stanford could have a trap game on their hands. Ball St is a concern.

This post was edited on 6/27 7:20 PM by ashokan

Originally posted by ashokan:
With Army you can usually tell by the first game if you'll be shooting blanks all season. If Army does good vs Buffalo (who should be weaker than last year) then things look good. If Stanford was at Home I might like Army's chances. Stanford struggled with option for first half last year. They are built real tall ( 6'6" was short on Stanford OL) and all those Army midgets running around their legs gave them problems. Alas Army playing on the West Coast could be a killer since long away trips are like kryptonite to Army. Maybe coach Monk has some new training approaches from his Navy days. Monk beat Florida last year and Stanford could have a trap game on their hands. Ball St is a concern.

I agree completely that the Buffalo game will tell us a lot about the rest of the season. We held our own against Ball State for most of the game the last time they came to Michie, and they lost their star quarterback to graduation. Their backup guy at QB was pretty bad last year (2 of 9 pass completions). Add tp that we now have their former defensive coordinator who knows what they do and at this point I think we have a good chance of beating them at home.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/10/5482730/ball-state-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

I HATE it when so called Army fans disconnect themselves from the football program by addressing the team as Army versus, "us, we, etc.".

IMO, just move on, please!

Originally posted by OntheHudson87:

I HATE it when so called Army fans disconnect themselves from the football program by addressing the team as Army versus, "us, we, etc.".

IMO, just move on, please!
party0006.r191677.gif

"I HATE it when so called Army fans disconnect themselves from the football program by addressing the team as Army versus, "us, we, etc.".

I'm not on the team. I didn't go to West point. I wasn't in the military. I don't make any donations. I don't have friends or relatives on the team. I'm just a sports fan. I actually like not knowing too much about players. I like no names on the jerseys. I like that I'm watching a slice of the Long Gray Line. Living next to WP and seeing my first game in 1967 I've seen so many cadets come and go I'm more aware of the physical contours of that line than most of the new cadets that will be arriving soon. I don't look at the team and think "we". That would be psychotic. Plus having been on a college football team and having watched it for years I can tell you most teams see themselves as a unit, family etc and everyone else is on the outside to one degree or another. An Army player can know there are other cadets who don't like them, fans who will boo them, writers who will write them off. In a player's mind "we" is a very small circle. Maybe you're in it but I'm 100% certain I'm not, and most players would be fine with that because they know the deal better than fans

This post was edited on 6/28 9:40 PM by ashokan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT