ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Muenzer and the bonds of brotherhood.

finnane

Yearling
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2007
I first met Danny Muenzer and his family in 2004. He was a young skinny kid in the St Edward Crusader youth football program in Elgin, IL. Danny was probably just 11 yrs old, fast though, one of the fastest kids in the league. And he loved to play. My two sons, Shane and Evan loved to play with Danny, because he was fast, and tough. Danny ran hard. He never died easy. He didn't waste the effort and sacrifices his blockers made. Kids like my boys, on the line appreciated a teammate like that. Each one of his TDs was also one of theirs, and he scored often.

I remember his father well. He always took time to find me at the games and chat a bit. Danny's family is generous, loving, friendly ... just a beautiful group of human beings. I was lucky to know them for a time. Danny played a year behind Shane and a year ahead of Evan for the Crusaders. I imagined Danny would enroll at St. Edward HS and continue to play with my boys. A family situation made that impossible and Danny enrolled at Elgin Community HS. He was missed at St. Edward, but his father still came to every St. Edward football game to see Danny's pals turn the page for a losing program, and become winners. He was just as excited for Danny's former teammates as he was for Danny. Danny was having some success of his own. He was a natural leader, and Elgin HS needed someone like him. He encouraged his teammates to work hard in and out of the classroom to earn a better future. They looked up to and admired him.

I admired him. Danny was a handsome, articulate, boy then; and most impressive was the genuine respect he had for everyone around him, old and young alike. When I learned that Danny was being recruited by ARMY Football, from his father, I was thrilled with the idea that he might play with Shane again. Shane had been recruited but ultimately not offered by ARMY. He determined to earn his own appointment and walk on top the team. And so he did. Danny was admitted to USMAP, and so it looked as if he and Shane (2014) would share a uniform again. In the following year, Dan was a top defensive player at USMAP and Evan was recruited by several schools, none more than USMA and USAFA. I was so certain he'd chosen USAFA that I'd bought him one of those blue and silver hoodies from Colorado as a Christmas gift. I was mistaken. That hoodie remains in its plastic seal at the back of a closet, forever unused. Evan made the decision to join his blood brother, and his Crusader brother at USMA. And so he did. Evan committed as a direct admit to the class of 2016, the same as Danny. Incredible, that 3 youth football players from a Midwestern town, from the same small school team, would share the field again in division 1 college competition, for one of the most storied programs and the most prestigious institution in the nation (...like Evan said to me after he committed to USMA, "Shane's my brother, period. Besides, how does anyone say no to West Point. I mean it is West Point after all"). In 2004-2006.... no one would have believed it if I'd said it might happen then... not even me.

It didn't happen. Danny ran into a bump in the road. He'd secured his appointment to USMA. But very late in the academic year at the prep school he made a mistake, which resulted in an honor violation, voiding his appointment. ( It must be understood here that Danny's mistake was more clerical than any other thing. And a second offense after an earlier out of bed after lights out... watching tv. He had forgotten his citation page on a math final/major assignment. Apparently he'd left it in his barracks and was told by a teacher not to bother, it wasn't needed. It was. Times were tough. Budgets had been slashed and cadet positions were at a premium. Minor violations that had, apparently been shrugged at in the past, were now reason for separation ... I may have mis-remembered... I may be misinformed... it's not important. I don't cast blame here. I'm just telling a story. It was what it was. But it wasn't sinister, certainly not on Dan's part.) Dan was denied appointment to USMA.

Dan's father told me how Dan handled this. He was upset that he had disappointed his family. He acknowledged his mistake and took full credit and blame for it. And he was determined to correct it himself. Dan received advice from some LT COL out there unknown to me, and he listened. There was a path back to USMA, but it wasn't guaranteed, and it wasn't easy. Dan took it. He enlisted in the army and applied to go to Ranger School. His intention was always to regain his honor, and find admission to USMA from the enlisted ranks. Dan was a young man who faced real challenges like he faced young tacklers in youth football. He would run through the tackles until there was daylight, and then he was unstoppable. So, it seemed likely to me, that any day, I'd hear from his father about new appointment to USMA; if not this year then the next.

As it turns out, Dan met this girl, and fell madly in love. She loved him too. Dan's path changed. USMA was no longer the goal. He was to be a father, and so he needed a new plan. He served his country. He was a fantastic father. And he loved his fiance deeply, and she loved him. I recently heard her say that "she would love him forever, just as she promised".

Dan died this past Monday in an evening rush hour accident in Charlotte, NC, when his motorcycle struck the rear of a box truck. I wish the story ended otherwise. It broke my heart to hear of it, and it breaks again to write the tale, imperfect, as it is. But do me a favor. Honor Daniel Muenzer tonight after you read this. Say a prayer for his family. They are in great pain. The ARMY Football class of 2016 lost a brother; young Sean Callaghan before the start of their final season. Now they have lost another brother, Daniel Muenzer, just before graduation. He is loved by the ARMY Football class of 2016, as a brother. He was brother to so many before.

I first met Danny Muenzer and his family in 2004. He was a young skinny kid in the St Edward Crusader youth football program in Elgin, IL. Danny was probably just 11 yrs old, fast though, one of the fastest kids in the league. And he loved to play. My two sons, Shane and Evan loved to play with Danny, because he was fast, and tough. Danny ran hard. He never died easy. He didn't waste the effort and sacrifices his blockers made. Kids like my boys, on the line appreciated a teammate like that. Each one of his TDs was also one of theirs, and he scored often.

I remember his father well. He always took time to find me at the games and chat a bit. Danny's family is generous, loving, friendly ... just a beautiful group of human beings. I was lucky to know them for a time. Danny played a year behind Shane and a year ahead of Evan for the Crusaders. I imagined Danny would enroll at St. Edward HS and continue to play with my boys. A family situation made that impossible and Danny enrolled at Elgin Community HS. He was missed at St. Edward, but his father still came to every St. Edward football game to see Danny's pals turn the page for a losing program, and become winners. He was just as excited for Danny's former teammates as he was for Danny. Danny was having some success of his own. He was a natural leader, and Elgin HS needed someone like him. He encouraged his teammates to work hard in and out of the classroom to earn a better future. They looked up to and admired him.

I admired him. Danny was a handsome, articulate, boy then; and most impressive was the genuine respect he had for everyone around him, old and young alike. When I learned that Danny was being recruited by ARMY Football, from his father, I was thrilled with the idea that he might play with Shane again. Shane had been recruited but ultimately not offered by ARMY. He determined to earn his own appointment and walk on top the team. And so he did. Danny was admitted to USMAP, and so it looked as if he and Shane (2014) would share a uniform again. In the following year, Dan was a top defensive player at USMAP and Evan was recruited by several schools, none more than USMA and USAFA. I was so certain he'd chosen USAFA that I'd bought him one of those blue and silver hoodies from Colorado as a Christmas gift. I was mistaken. That hoodie remains in its plastic seal at the back of a closet, forever unused. Evan made the decision to join his blood brother, and his Crusader brother at USMA. And so he did. Evan committed as a direct admit to the class of 2016, the same as Danny. Incredible, that 3 youth football players from a Midwestern town, from the same small school team, would share the field again in division 1 college competition, for one of the most storied programs and the most prestigious institution in the nation (...like Evan said to me after he committed to USMA, "Shane's my brother, period. Besides, how does anyone say no to West Point. I mean it is West Point after all"). In 2004-2006.... no one would have believed it if I'd said it might happen then... not even me.

It didn't happen. Danny ran into a bump in the road. He'd secured his appointment to USMA. But very late in the academic year at the prep school he made a mistake, which resulted in an honor violation, voiding his appointment. ( It must be understood here that Danny's mistake was more clerical than any other thing. And a second offense after an earlier out of bed after lights out... watching tv. He had forgotten his citation page on a math final/major assignment. Apparently he'd left it in his barracks and was told by a teacher not to bother, it wasn't needed. It was. Times were tough. Budgets had been slashed and cadet positions were at a premium. Minor violations that had, apparently been shrugged at in the past, were now reason for separation ... I may have mis-remembered... I may be misinformed... it's not important. I don't cast blame here. I'm just telling a story. It was what it was. But it wasn't sinister, certainly not on Dan's part.) Dan was denied appointment to USMA.

Dan's father told me how Dan handled this. He was upset that he had disappointed his family. He acknowledged his mistake and took full credit and blame for it. And he was determined to correct it himself. Dan received advice from some LT COL out there unknown to me, and he listened. There was a path back to USMA, but it wasn't guaranteed, and it wasn't easy. Dan took it. He enlisted in the army and applied to go to Ranger School. His intention was always to regain his honor, and find admission to USMA from the enlisted ranks. Dan was a young man who faced real challenges like he faced young tacklers in youth football. He would run through the tackles until there was daylight, and then he was unstoppable. So, it seemed likely to me, that any day, I'd hear from his father about new appointment to USMA; if not this year then the next.

As it turns out, Dan met this girl, and fell madly in love. She loved him too. Dan's path changed. USMA was no longer the goal. He was to be a father, and so he needed a new plan. He served his country. He was a fantastic father. And he loved his fiance deeply, and she loved him. I recently heard her say that "she would love him forever, just as she promised".

Dan died this past Monday in an evening rush hour accident in Charlotte, NC, when his motorcycle struck the rear of a box truck. I wish the story ended otherwise. It broke my heart to hear of it, and it breaks again to write the tale, imperfect, as it is. But do me a favor. Honor Daniel Muenzer tonight after you read this. Say a prayer for his family. They are in great pain. The ARMY Football class of 2016 lost a brother; young Sean Callaghan before the start of their final season. Now they have lost another brother, Daniel Muenzer, just before graduation. He is loved by the ARMY Football class of 2016, as a brother. He was brother to so many before.

Thanks for sharing and I am very sorry to hear of this tragedy of this life cut short. R.I.P. young man and you are still part of the West Point brotherhood, and many who you will be meeting in heaven.

Hey Finnane, I am sure that was tough for you to share/write, but I am also sure that the family appreciates your heartfelt sincerity & transparency. By the way, I am glad to see you back on GBK and I trust that all is well with your sons!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT