ADVERTISEMENT

Army West Point Wrestling 2016-2017

USMA74

First Captain
Jul 9, 2012
The resurgence of Army Football has captured the most attention of Army Sports Fans, recently. The Army Wrestling has been slowly building a strong program, using similar tools; refurbished facilities, good coaching, improved recruiting and retention. The Army West Point wrestling team concluded the 2016-17 posting a 7-5 record in Duals with a 5-3 mark in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.

Army also won the annual Star Match versus Navy, as the Cadets captured the Star in two-of-three years since winning three straight from 1960-62. Head coach Kevin Ward became the second coach in Army history to defeat the Middies on multiple occasions and the first to win two of his first three Star Matches.

Army finished in 18th place at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, and Army won it's second All-Academy Championship title in as many years. This was the first time in program history that the Black Knights won back-to-back All-Academies championships.

In the postseason, the Cadets placed fourth at EIWAs, completing their first years having consecutive top-five finishes since 1991-92. The seven podium finishes was the most for Army since 2006. Four Black Knights traveled to St. Louis, Mo., to compete in the NCAA Championships.

Thanks for the info..l too have followed the resurgence of Army Wrestling with a smile a mile wide. I agree Coach Ward has taken a similar approach to that of Coach Monken and we are seeing the the results of a well executed plan (in both sports). The complete domination of us by Navy over nearly 50 years was down right sickening. Wrestlisg is a true martial sport and something we should excel in. I am glad (I apologize for the nautical analogy) the ship has been righted.
Go Army and beat Navy again and again.

Reactions: sixbrad and USMA74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT