ADVERTISEMENT

Army Players on the All Independent Team

goodknight65

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2013
Phil Steele recently released his pre-season All Independent Team.

First Team included Terry Baggett and Steve Shumaker

Second Team included Geoff Bacon, Raymond Maples and Robert Kough

Clearly Kough is an unlikely candidate at this point given that he is not even listed as a starter coming out of spring practice. Without knowing what the competition is from other independents, d what other changes would you recommend if you were advising Phil?

My initial thought is that Larry Dixon belongs on the team, although I'm sure he's reluctant to put three Army running backs on the team.

The other guy I think deserves some pre-season consideration is Jenkins at CB.

Kough? He is not even a starter for us anymore!

Originally posted by DocJayy:
Kough? He is not even a starter for us anymore!
Clearly Phil's staff didn't consult our depth chart in coming up with choices. If I was asked to pick a replacement from the DL it would be Ugenyi or Glover. I think both of those guys will do well this coming season.

Dixon is a good back but runs hot/cold - makes the heartburn fumble etc. if he had a good line he would be awesom because he runs like a bowling ball given the space. Sometimes watching games I see guys do things that make them stand out and Baggett is like that. I watched him from the end zone once and he made some nice plays out of nothing with some flashy moves I don't see too often. Last time I saw something like that was Devon McCourty (Patriots) at Rutgers during his senior year.

I should say if he had a power running line. A run game line like the one Temple had when it pulverize Army a few years in a row would be good fit for Dixon style. I'm not sure option run in Dixon's best fit. Not that he's bad.

Steele always does a good job, but into market, he's a little dated for my taste. The daily stuff that I get from GBK makes stuff Steele and other similar publications like getting updated football infer while in a coma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT