ADVERTISEMENT

Victory Feels Good! A few observations...

Jul 25, 2008
Beating Navy and winning the Bowl game today were both huge. I do have a few observations from the game today.

1. #2 for UNT, their right corner, wanted nothing to do with having to tackle any of our backs. My Dad (a NTSU..Mean Joe Green Day's...grad) and I had a good laugh about it...caught it very early in the game. I had never seen a football player play so chicken. It was blatantly obvious.

2. In the 2nd half and most of the 1st, Army almost exclusively ran to Army's right. I'm wondering if anyone has insight on this. Can we not pitch effectively left handed? Is the left side of our line weaker? I was scratching my head. Army ended up being successful enough running to the right to win, but...

3. ...Back to #2 playing chicken. Army wouldn't have had to even account for #2...wouldn't have even had to block him (given the tight sets in the 2nd half, they basically had 11 in the box). I was waiting for the shocking option left to #2's side that never happened. I think Army could have been even more successful had they mixed up the direction of runs more.

All of that said, I'm thrilled with the win...the kids clearly played together and played hard. Army is back!!

Reactions: akaTheRifleman
Beating Navy and winning the Bowl game today were both huge. I do have a few observations from the game today.

1. #2 for UNT, their right corner, wanted nothing to do with having to tackle any of our backs. My Dad (a NTSU..Mean Joe Green Day's...grad) and I had a good laugh about it...caught it very early in the game. I had never seen a football player play so chicken. It was blatantly obvious.

2. In the 2nd half and most of the 1st, Army almost exclusively ran to Army's right. I'm wondering if anyone has insight on this. Can we not pitch effectively left handed? Is the left side of our line weaker? I was scratching my head. Army ended up being successful enough running to the right to win, but...

3. ...Back to #2 playing chicken. Army wouldn't have had to even account for #2...wouldn't have even had to block him (given the tight sets in the 2nd half, they basically had 11 in the box). I was waiting for the shocking option left to #2's side that never happened. I think Army could have been even more successful had they mixed up the direction of runs more.

All of that said, I'm thrilled with the win...the kids clearly played together and played hard. Army is back!!

I picked up on the fact that LB'ers aren't going to run down Army slots as they've done in the past.

Reactions: ArmyBlitz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT