ADVERTISEMENT

Throwing deep

aleclee

Commandant
Mar 13, 2006
...up by 11 with 15 seconds left.

Not the play call I would've made. I'd rather leave that stuff to Troy Calhoun.

Part of winning is "acting like you've been there before." Unfortunately, we've been so bad for so long that we've forgotten not only how to win but how to win with some dignity.

I hope Coach Monken realizes the classlessness of his actions so we don't have to have discussions like this in the future.

I didn't see play since I left after the last Army TD with a few minutes to go. Generally this sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as some media, fans etc. Its not like Army was up by 30 points. Even in the 4th Fordham was within a few points of a comeback and I was wondering if another game was going to get blown. Plus its last home game. Nothing wrong with letting players take a few shots for the scrap book. They will remember plays like that a lot longer than fans remembering Monken going deep. Plus a lot of players would rather have a team going full steam at them than ease up like they were cupcakes. A little hot sauce from Army wouldn't hurt. I've seen Niumatalolo twist the knife on a few opponents (including Army).
This post was edited on 11/23 1:20 AM by ashokan

Originally posted by ashokan:

They will remember plays like that a lot longer than fans remembering Monken going deep.
I dunno about that. I can still recall Calhoun throwing deep on 4th and 9 up by 4 TDs in the 4th quarter. It's gonna be a good while before that memory even begins to fade.

I've seen Niumatalolo twist the knife on a few opponents (including Army).
While I admire KN's W/L record, that's one of the things that I find much less peachy. Clearly Monken was ticked off by the last onside kick but with one timeout Fordham couldn't keep Army from running out the clock.

What's next, crashing the other team's victory formation like Schiano's Buccaneers?

As I read about this play, I keep thinking about that old story (not sure if true) about Lincoln being warned that Grant was a drinker. Lincoln asked if Grant's brand could be found out so that the other generals could be sent some too lol. Teams often take their attitude from their coach. At this point I don't mind a little hot sauce in the recipe. I've been watching Army be stoic losers a long time. I was reading about a 1949 Army V Fordham game under Blaik. There were so many fights and penalties in the game it was called "Donnybrook on the Hudson". Back in the "glory days" Army was ofen accused of playing like ruffians. Red might have had a little smile if at the game yesterday
This post was edited on 11/23 9:43 AM by ashokan

Donnybrook

I was at the game and was stunned when Santiago dropped back to pass. After that I was less surprised by the timeout call at the 1 yard line with 3 sec left......I assumed that if you are going to pass you must want another score, but then they did take a knee and gave up a 1 yard TD. My first thought was you must want another senior to score, but the pass was to a junior TE, then take a knee. I watched to see the coaches handshake after the game and it was brief but no ugly looks. Monken was pissed about something, late timeouts, onside kick, something. His comment about "Fordham playing to the end so we did too". What if a key Army offensive player got hurt on that last play?

As I read about this play, I keep thinking about that old story (not sure if true) about Lincoln being warned that Grant was a drinker. Lincoln asked if Grant's brand could be found out so that the other generals could be sent some too lol. Teams often take their attitude from their coach. At this point I don't mind a little hot sauce in the recipe. I've been watching Army be stoic losers a long time. I was reading about a 1949 Army V Fordham game under Blaik. There were so many fights and penalties in the game it was called "Donnybrook on the Hudson". Back in the "glory days" Army was ofen accused of playing like ruffians. Red might have had a little smile if at the game yesterday
This post was edited on 11/23 9:43 AM by ashokan
I remember games in he 40's that I followed on the radio. Sometime in the 2nd half a scuffle would break out but the announcers would not mention the participants. But before the next play they would announce that a replacement for so and so from Army was coming into the game, and as I remember it was always that same so and so who was being replaced. He was a hell of a force too.
flush.r191677.gif

As a long suffering Army fan since 1989, how great it was to actually see Army ahead. You know, actually winning a game. That alone is remarkable.

And how great it was for an Army team to be able to say "you wanna kick a meaningless onside kick, then we are going to throw a pass." I can't recall many times we have even been in this positiion in the last 25 years.

As many have said on this board and other outlets, and I agree.........Army has been far to "nice" over the last 3 decades. Far to happy with "losing the football game but we have bigger battles to fight" mentality.

It sure is nice to see a coach with a little bit of as*hole in him. It sure is nice to see a coach who is playing the entire 60 minutes of the game.

You know who else has sort of struck me as having a little bit of as*hole in him? Paul Johnson. Ken Niamatulolo. Among Saban. Among others.

This weekend's game did nothing but reinforce that finally, after 15 years of Berry and Brock and Ross and Ellerson, we may finally just maybe have a legitimate Division 1 football coach running our program.

Originally posted by centuryman:
As a long suffering Army fan since 1989, how great it was to actually see Army ahead. You know, actually winning a game. That alone is remarkable.

And how great it was for an Army team to be able to say "you wanna kick a meaningless onside kick, then we are going to throw a pass." I can't recall many times we have even been in this positiion in the last 25 years.

As many have said on this board and other outlets, and I agree.........Army has been far to "nice" over the last 3 decades. Far to happy with "losing the football game but we have bigger battles to fight" mentality.

It sure is nice to see a coach with a little bit of as*hole in him. It sure is nice to see a coach who is playing the entire 60 minutes of the game.

You know who else has sort of struck me as having a little bit of as*hole in him? Paul Johnson. Ken Niamatulolo. Among Saban. Among others.

This weekend's game did nothing but reinforce that finally, after 15 years of Berry and Brock and Ross and Ellerson, we may finally just maybe have a legitimate Division 1 football coach running our program.
Amen and well said Centuryman!

From reporter Sal Interdonato on why Monken made the throw:

Now to Army's decision to line up in its triple-option offense and throw the football with 13 seconds left in the game up 42-31. Apparently, the call by coach Monken goes back to the pregame. Army asked Fordham before the game if it could not be on the field when the academy had its Senior Day ceremony. Fordham remained on the field for its warmups during the ceremony, which lasted about four minutes.

Originally posted by mjander01:
From reporter Sal Interdonato on why Monken made the throw:

Now to Army's decision to line up in its triple-option offense and throw the football with 13 seconds left in the game up 42-31. Apparently, the call by coach Monken goes back to the pregame. Army asked Fordham before the game if it could not be on the field when the academy had its Senior Day ceremony. Fordham remained on the field for its warmups during the ceremony, which lasted about four minutes.
I really like the fire in Monken's belly!

Monken wants to win games. He's not worried about "getting Army..cracking the code" etc. He knows about the SA culture from Navy and has it in mind without getting smothered by it. He sees things clear. He knew the job was a headache and dangerous for career. I think he believes he knows how to fix football (having been part of Navy's turn around) and felt somewhat obligated to help. The more I see of him the more I like him. He'll beat Navy before too long. Plus, I noticed awhile ago in football that when Team A has trouble beating Team B - and then Team A gets a coach who used to coach for Team B - it tends to take away the curse. Team A gets the confidence they can beat Team B again. Monken won't be over-awed by Navy and the team will take confidence from that. No more of the Varisty playing the JV thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT