ADVERTISEMENT

Army Football Is The 2017 Team The Best Army Team In The Modern Era?

For me "modern era" of college ball begins around 1982 since that's when when division one split-up (A, AA etc). That's also when steroids became widespread and players began to get gigantic. Army players started looking like Lilliputians compared to other teams.

The only comparison I make is to 1996 team and that's close. Neither team played a killer schedule. 96 team played a 2-9 Rutgers team and a 0-11 Duke. Yale was 2-8 and Tulane was 2-9. Lafayette and Miami Ohio were 5-6 and 6-5. Lots of tomatoes on that schedule. They hit a good McNabb led Syracuse and got walloped 42-17. Team rebounded nice in loss vs a mediocre Auburn.

This year there were only 3 real tomatoes (Fordham, Rice, UTEP). The Tulane loss looks bad but that was probably the Ohio St hangover effect. Teams like EMU, Temple and Duke were better than they looked on paper. Army could have lost to any of them. Army beat a real good team in SDSU (50 votes in coaches top 25 poll). This year's Army team was very tenacious. Didn't really get doors blown off by anyone aside from a top 10 OSU and even that could have been worse. If I had to bet between 2017 and 1996 I would go 2017 (much bigger team too)

Reactions: jiacono
For me "modern era" of college ball begins around 1982 since that's when when division one split-up (A, AA etc). That's also when steroids became widespread and players began to get gigantic. Army players started looking like Lilliputians compared to other teams.

The only comparison I make is to 1996 team and that's close. Neither team played a killer schedule. 96 team played a 2-9 Rutgers team and a 0-11 Duke. Yale was 2-8 and Tulane was 2-9. Lafayette and Miami Ohio were 5-6 and 6-5. Lots of tomatoes on that schedule. They hit a good McNabb led Syracuse and got walloped 42-17. Team rebounded nice in loss vs a mediocre Auburn.

This year there were only 3 real tomatoes (Fordham, Rice, UTEP). The Tulane loss looks bad but that was probably the Ohio St hangover effect. Teams like EMU, Temple and Duke were better than they looked on paper. Army could have lost to any of them. Army beat a real good team in SDSU (50 votes in coaches top 25 poll). This year's Army team was very tenacious. Didn't really get doors blown off by anyone aside from a top 10 OSU and even that could have been worse. If I had to bet between 2017 and 1996 I would go 2017 (much bigger team too)

Cool, but I was wondering did you actually read the GBK article? ;)

#Insightful to say the least

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT