ADVERTISEMENT

The Inside Stuff GBK: Army’s Upcoming Opponent Preview: West Virginia in the Liberty Bowl (12/31)

Gordon, LastofftheArea is reporting that Tony Fields has opted our of the game, so their leading tackler will be watching and not playing.

Reactions: jiacono
Two little known facts:

Army was scheduled to play West Virginia at West Point in 1917 and 1918. The Department of War cancelled the Cadets season in April when Congress declared war on Germany and then allowed Army in August to put together a slate of eight games, not including WVU and Navy (shades of 2020). Army also had a slate of games for the 1918 season, including the Mountaineers, but only played one game, as USMA graduated both upper classes (USMA had gone to a three year war course), leaving only Red Blaik and his plebe classmates at West Point.

Army has played four times at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis. The Cadets lost to Tennessee in 1966, 7-38. Army played at Memphis in C-USA action in 1999, 2001, and 2002; losing 10-14, 10-42, and 10-38, respectively. Reminds me of Army’s record at TCU (0-3) before winning its last two Armed Forces Bowl games there.

Reactions: jiacono
Two little known facts:

Army was scheduled to play West Virginia at West Point in 1917 and 1918. The Department of War cancelled the Cadets season in April when Congress declared war on Germany and then allowed Army in August to put together a slate of eight games, not including WVU and Navy (shades of 2020). Army also had a slate of games for the 1918 season, including the Mountaineers, but only played one game, as USMA graduated both upper classes (USMA had gone to a three year war course), leaving only Red Blaik and his plebe classmates at West Point.

Army has played four times at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis. The Cadets lost to Tennessee in 1966, 7-38. Army played at Memphis in C-USA action in 1999, 2001, and 2002; losing 10-14, 10-42, and 10-38, respectively. Reminds me of Army’s record at TCU (0-3) before winning its last two Armed Forces Bowl games there.
We played WV ( they were in a mustard colored uniform) in 1961 and lost 7-3 on an errant snap to our punter. The ball flew over punter's head , rolled into the EZ and WV recovered and made the extra point late in game . The Center ( there were no long snappers back then ) was my roommate . /// Was just back from VN in '66 and had opportunity to go to Memphis to see Army play TN Vols in the Memorial Stadium . It was a much anticipated game as Army TEAM had just shut out Penn State , but TN's team speed was too much for the Rabble that day. Also much was made of BG Nyland's ( USMA Cl '17 as I recall ) days as the TN Coach ( 6 national championships. When General MacArthur was the Supe after WW I , Nyland worked for him, and then put in a stint as an assistant football coach at WP before ending up at TN . I do hope Nyland's spirit is on our side this time out! Go Army -- those high school ratings by rivals et al meaning nothing in smash mouth, physical football.

ADVERTISEMENT