ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations!

WP76

Supe
Oct 4, 2001
Hard fought game in which it looked like we'd give up a 14 point lead with four minutes to go. Clutch 99 yard pick six pulled Army's irons "out of the fire."

May have been ugly but, in our current state, we don't have any "bad" wins.

Very pleased the way the team competed. We tackled on defense better than any game all year and we made a couple of big plays that changed the momentum of the game. We got into a rhythm on offense and special teams were solid except for the on-side kick.

Will take victories like this any day

Originally posted by davidgiant:
Very pleased the way the team competed. We tackled on defense better than any game all year and we made a couple of big plays that changed the momentum of the game. We got into a rhythm on offense and special teams were solid except for the on-side kick.

Will take victories like this any day
Exciting that's what the hell it was! Like how the RBs was moving the ball, yes sir that was a good game... Defense did good too!

The "Benny Hill" fumble in the first half prevented us from really taking control before the break. The onside kick at the end of the game was another "Benny Hill" moment that put a scare in all of us.

That said, our OL blocked a lot better; Santiago made good decisions; and we did a pretty good job of getting our best backs the ball. Defense was also the best it's been in awhile.

At this stage of our timeline, there's no such thing as a bad win or an ugly victory.

First time this year that we've outscored an opponent in the second half. Defense stepped up when they were needed, and it was probably the best offensive performance all year considering that UConn was ranked 26th in rushing defense going into the game.

Way to go Army team! Hard fought win and both offense and defense played great! And how nice was it to see the Corps dressed appropriately again in Dress Gray! :)

Originally posted by pregirlsgrad:

Way to go Army team! Hard fought win and both offense and defense played great! And how nice was it to see the Corps dressed appropriately again in Dress Gray! :)
Yep, looks like we have to play in Yankee Stadium to get away from the Corps wearing the ragtag ACUs.

Originally posted by WP76:
The "Benny Hill" fumble in the first half prevented us from really taking control before the break. The onside kick at the end of the game was another "Benny Hill" moment that put a scare in all of us.

That said, our OL blocked a lot better; Santiago made good decisions; and we did a pretty good job of getting our best backs the ball. Defense was also the best it's been in awhile.

At this stage of our timeline, there's no such thing as a bad win or an ugly victory.
Amen and you are correct! I will absolutely take it, although I think it was a good win.

I thought the defense played well against AFA last week with the exception of a couple of blown coverages. We saw a couple of those this week as well; so it's fair to say that the defense seems to be coming around the past couple of weeks. The big difference was that Army had their ball control offense working to keep the defense off the field. The 35 - 25 TOP difference was an important factor in the win.

The failure to get possession of the on-side kick almost killed our TOP advantage, but Carnegie came up big in the clutch. That was a very well executed INT. Watch for him to be the Independent Defensive Player of the Week. His INT got coverage on a couple of sports shows I saw after the game. One thing I noticed was that the closest person to Carnegie as he approached the goal line was Jenkins, who appeared to be letting Carnegie know he had his back.

I liked the interview they did with Brian Cashman from the Yankees as well. Good publicity for Army in NYC.

Originally posted by goodknight65:

I thought the defense played well against AFA last week with the exception of a couple of blown coverages. We saw a couple of those this week as well; so it's fair to say that the defense seems to be coming around the past couple of weeks. The big difference was that Army had their ball control offense working to keep the defense off the field. The 35 - 25 TOP difference was an important factor in the win.

The failure to get possession of the on-side kick almost killed our TOP advantage, but Carnegie came up big in the clutch. That was a very well executed INT. Watch for him to be the Independent Defensive Player of the Week. His INT got coverage on a couple of sports shows I saw after the game. One thing I noticed was that the closest person to Carnegie as he approached the goal line was Jenkins, who appeared to be letting Carnegie know he had his back.

I liked the interview they did with Brian Cashman from the Yankees as well. Good publicity for Army in NYC.
Good I'm just wondering what took us so long to get it on Offense..... We could have been doing this all season!!!! Once the Rbs was rolling, it just changed the momentum of the game.... Just hope we keep the game play moving forward. This post was edited on 11/9 2:53 PM by Bulletproof09

Originally posted by pregirlsgrad:

+1. Now, if we could only get the team in black, gold, and gray.
flush.r191677.gif

Do you guys think we could win the next 2 games, and the navy game determines if army goes bowling? I think Navy may lose to Georgia Southern this week i think its possible! The army navy game may come down to both teams being 5-6 and one need to win to go bowling

Agree on lots here - mainly that there are no "bad" wins for Army - any win is a good win.

Tackling was better, O line played better and we figured out how to get the slots involved. Monken likes to run up the middle with the FB and QB. Opposing teams have read the book. We adjusted and went wide! Backs did a good job blocking too.

Like the Dress Gray over ACU's.

Liked the Cashman interview with him in an Army hat.

I said early that Wake Forest was the most important game other than AFA and Navy - still think that way. If we had not given that one away, it would look different.

Army and Navy have to have 6 wins to go to a bowl before A-N since it is so late. The NCAA could grant a waiver if both are 5-6 because one would end up with 6 wins. Army winning back to back hasn't happened in a while so not jumping there yet. Especially on the road this week.

"Hard fought game in which it looked like we'd give up a 14 point lead with four minutes to go. Clutch 99 yard pick six pulled Army's irons "out of the fire."

A big first half is what Army needs since teams often rebound in 2nd half. UConn's coach said he didn't have the personel to properly scout the option in practice. They paniced a little when they fell behind and knew clock would grind them. Like a lof of teams not used to option the first half was a bit of a shock. Nice to see defense make a big play (off a turnover). Monken attributed better game from backs to better blocking outside and in space. Be interesting to see if team can finally win two games in a row. WK beat Navy back in Sept so I don't think the option is going to surprise them like UConn.

Originally posted by Bulletproof09:

Good I'm just wondering what took us so long to get it on Offense..... We could have been doing this all season!!!! Once the Rbs was rolling, it just changed the momentum of the game.... Just hope we keep the game play moving forward.
IMO, it's because Monken's flavor of the triple option is different from Ellerson's. It seemed like Ellerson preferred to push the ball to the SBs to get the big gain while Monken prefers pounding the FB or QB keeper as to minimize turnover possibilities with the pitch. It appeared that this week there were a number of designed plays (i.e., not a real option) intended to get the ball to the SBs.

IMO, the most interesting twist was running the FB as the pitch man. Some of the stuff we did this week is probably giving the WKU staff a little more to think about than the stuff we showed the past few weeks.

Originally posted by ashokan:

"Hard fought game in which it looked like we'd give up a 14 point lead with four minutes to go. Clutch 99 yard pick six pulled Army's irons "out of the fire."

A big first half is what Army needs since teams often rebound in 2nd half. UConn's coach said he didn't have the personel to properly scout the option in practice. They paniced a little when they fell behind and knew clock would grind them. Like a lof of teams not used to option the first half was a bit of a shock. Nice to see defense make a big play (off a turnover). Monken attributed better game from backs to better blocking outside and in space. Be interesting to see if team can finally win two games in a row. WK beat Navy back in Sept so I don't think the option is going to surprise them like UConn.
If we two games in a row (Monken) better be here for 10yrs!!!!!
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by aleclee:

IMO, the most interesting twist was running the FB as the pitch man. Some of the stuff we did this week is probably giving the WKU staff a little more to think about than the stuff we showed the past few weeks.
That's not entirely new. Ellerson ran some pitches to Dixon in the past as well. Dixon was also doing some blocking on the perimeter in this game. He's a factor in almost every play because he draws a crowd whether he has the ball or not.

One of the big reasons that Hassin's carries went down after his sophomore year is that he had a bad back from all the pounding he took in that 1000 yard season and he had a hard tim staying low. Dixon is not immune from that either. Every time I see him get up slowly, I hold my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT