ADVERTISEMENT

Boos At Michie

SandD65

Firstie
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2007
I have never heard boos at Michie form either side in 60+ years of Army football!

In fact, I have never heard boos against an Army Team even on the road.

Completely understand the Fordham fans' reaction to the play call.

Perhaps some reasons for the call:

o In JM's mind, the game was not over.
o A teaching moment on finishing. Finishing the play, finishing the game, etc. We have fallen short in 4th Quarters many times.
o Instilling a "killer instinct". "Roll that score way up. They will never want to play us anymore"
o Give Buddy Green something to think about on defending the Tight End

But, having taken a knee on the one yard line, wipes numbers 2 and 3 off, IMO.

Perhaps a better sequence would have been to take the knee. If Fordham called their final timeout then go for it.

Don't like the call. We still don't know how to win (with class).

Win with class? Kidding me? We're a struggling program that has lost leads late. Fordham had scored quickly twice late in the game. We ran our offense to secure the win. We didn't run some reverse or trick play. We got a senior RB a TD on his last home game. I'm pretty sure if it the reverse scenario Fordham would do the same thing. This has nothing to do with class.

Can we just enjoy a win without finding some type on negativity or controversy? BEAT NAVY!

I didn't get to Michie until the second half. The "new" things I noticed when I arrived were that there were a lot more young visting students than usual - and they were more bombed than usual. Many came on buses, boats, trains, car pools etc. and were ready to let their hair down. Walking past drinking area, I saw the Lusk wall had a lot more empty bottles stacked on it. Looked like a good plinking set-up. There was more of a college town party vibe. Visiting crowds are usually older and from further away. Yesterdays visiting crowd was local enough that West Point wasn't as exotic as it can be for other teams fans. Fans who just had a 9 game winning streak snapped are ready to boo about something. Fordham scored 21 points in the 4th. They were within a few points with minutes to go. They made a late onside kick. The game was closer than it looked. I don't see where taking a shot downfield in last seconds of a Senior Day game is a dirty play of some kind. I'm not surprised some visitors might have thought so. I doubt Fordham coaches or players would be complaining much. Losing teams fans notice some things that even their players don't

Originally posted by ashokan:

I don't see where taking a shot downfield in last seconds of a Senior Day game is a dirty play of some kind.
I don't think it was dirty but it was completely unnecessary. There were 13 seconds left and Fordham had one timeout. Even if they called timeout, there was no way to keep Army from running out the clock. I think it was flipping the bird to Fordham after the onside kick. I wouldn't describe it as a gross breach of coaching etiquette but not the play call I would've made.

There were 15 seconds left, and no one got a TD after the pass to the 1 yard line, after a timeout by Army, we took a knee to end the game.

Thanks for clarification Snoopy. I had the sequence of the events wrong. My apologies. I still say this has nothing to do with "a lack of class." BEAT NAVY!

Very curious call and Monken didnt articulate the reason very well It would have looked a lot worse if Kelvin didnt trip over his own feet and went in. We still didnt finish. We played well and hung on, but by the 4th Q if Fordham went to the two minute drill they were scoring at will. The only thing I can think of is that Monken was thinking we have Navy coming up and we are fielding onside kick s , risking an injury etc when the game is already decided.

Originally posted by ashokan:

I didn't get to Michie until the second half. The "new" things I noticed when I arrived were that there were a lot more young visting students than usual - and they were more bombed than usual. Many came on buses, boats, trains, car pools etc. and were ready to let their hair down. Walking past drinking area, I saw the Lusk wall had a lot more empty bottles stacked on it. Looked like a good plinking set-up. There was more of a college town party vibe. Visiting crowds are usually older and from further away. Yesterdays visiting crowd was local enough that West Point wasn't as exotic as it can be for other teams fans. Fans who just had a 9 game winning streak snapped are ready to boo about something. Fordham scored 21 points in the 4th. They were within a few points with minutes to go. They made a late onside kick. The game was closer than it looked. I don't see where taking a shot downfield in last seconds of a Senior Day game is a dirty play of some kind. I'm not surprised some visitors might have thought so. I doubt Fordham coaches or players would be complaining much. Losing teams fans notice some things that even their players don't
I agree and let's not make something out of nothing, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT