ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Football Season Predictions

Boomerang87

Commandant
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2013
We are coming off a very good 2016 season, but 2017’s schedule looks a little tougher. Either way, we have a very solid team coming back. What do you think our record will be like in 2017?

• Fordham (9/1) Win
  • Buffalo (9/9) Win
  • @ Ohio State (9/16) Loss
  • @ Tulane (9/23) Win
  • Texas El Paso (9/30) Win
  • @ Rice (10/7) Win
  • Eastern Michigan (10/14) Win
  • Temple (10/21) Win
  • @ Air Force (11/4) Loss
  • Duke (11/11) Loss
  • @ North Texas (11/18) Win
  • (neutral site - Phila) Navy (12/9) Win
9-3

There are so many things that can happen between now and then. I am clueless on how some of the youngsters are faring academically and if l assume the major contributors from the class of 20 all return ready and roarin to go..I like our chances to have a special year. So I think and this is a big IF we straighten out the chaos that was our kicking game we can have a fair shot at being 9-3 or 10-2..this of course assumes no serious injuries to key players .
Go Army

Reactions: jiacono
Predictions are typically made assuming that teams are at full strength and not project things like injuries.

That said, we are on track to be 9-3 in 2017. I like our chances right now.

As others have mentioned, I would like an opportunity to amend my prediction in August, but for now I will say 7-4 going into Navy (I never know about Navy until the week of the game because it's literally a pick em...couldn't say that 2 years ago).

8-4, but could actually see us doing better. Quality experience returning and we have some talent coming up from prep that will surely add depth (don't see any frosh breaking into starting line-up).

Definitely a lot of water passes under the bridge before the opening of the 2017 campaign.
But I love the discussion based on this year's recent memory. No W-L prediction just yet.

Boomerang87 said:
  • Fordham (9/1) Win
  • Buffalo (9/9) Win
  • @ Ohio State (9/16) Loss
  • @ Tulane (9/23) Win ??
  • Texas El Paso (9/30) Win
  • @ Rice (10/7) Win
  • Eastern Michigan (10/14) Win ??
  • Temple (10/21) Win ??
  • @ Air Force (11/4) Loss ??
  • Duke (11/11) Loss ??
  • @ North Texas (11/18) Win
  • (neutral site - Phila) Navy (12/9) Win ??
9-3

Food for thought:
  • Ohio State will be a good measuring stick. I am liking this game to watch.
  • Tulane had a losing record but a competitive defense which caused numerous teams trouble.
  • Eastern Michigan is a much improved bowl team, thankfully we host at Michie.
  • Army cannot sneak up on Temple next time, but at least it is at home.
  • Air Force just graduated its largest senior class in history (35), but we go to Colorado Springs.
  • Duke is at home, there will likely be no tropical storm, and Army is closer to them in talent than this year showed.
  • North Texas on the road should be similar to on the road at the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
  • JR Zach Abby will be a different QB than this year's Sophomore version.
a. Army Offense should lead the nation in rushing next year. No drop off and some improvement predicted.
b. Defense may not be top 5 in total yards allowed in the nation next year, but it will be really good still.
c. I like Army's chances of an even larger / better turnover differential next year. Forcing more fumbles.
d. Anyone betting that Army is not better in special teams in 2017? I am not betting against Monken on that one.

It will be a fun season of football.

Reactions: SandD65 and jiacono
I am going to hold off on predictions until R Day. But the future does look bright. The delay is important for several reasons:

1) To see how we close the 2017 recruiting cycle on National Signing Day in February
2) Spring practices will reveal how likely starters are shaping up and who makes the jump from scout team to the 3 deep depth roster.
3) There is always attrition at USMAPS and USMA. Some by choices made, some by academics, and some by injuries
4) Winter strength and conditioning can help rising yearlings emerge from the pack
5) Phil Steele's College Football Preview comes out in June

Reactions: hueybird
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT