ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for optimism as Army heads in to Fall Camp

How will this 2023 Army Football season compare to 2022?

• Rebuilding year with less than 6 wins

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 6 wins but no bowl game and no CIC trophy

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • 7 or more wins and a bowl game

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • CIC trophy champions and a bowl game

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 1, 2015
Yes, this is a much tougher Army football schedule in 2023. But guess what Army fans? I am surprised to find myself feeling optimistic about this 2023 Army team.

I received my Phil Steele 2023 College Football Preview back in June. Much to my surprise, Phil expressed a great deal of optimism about Army. He's expecting Army to return to bowl season. That's enough for me already because Phil Steele has been publishing his review for 28 straight years and he's seen it all. He knows Army has a much tougher schedule this year. He knows Army is installing a new offense. Yet he's predicting Army goes bowling. Part of Phil Steele's analysis involves metrics he derives from looking at our returning players. But I have to believe that Phil has spoken to Coach Monken - as he does with almost every head coach - and also heard a lot of optimism. You'll never hear Coach Monken say anything like that to a reporter with a microphone, so I think this is the closest we'll get to divining a real head coach early assessment.

Despite the new offense, I'm mostly concerned about the defense this year. And yes, we have a lot of experience returning on defense - especially the back 4-5 players. I do not expect to see Kalvyn Crummie on the field this year and that's a huge hole to fill. Kalvyn has good LB size and lot of talent. So teams are going to test Army's run defense this year after watching our tape from last year. We need to be better against the run this season.

Let's talk about it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News