ADVERTISEMENT

Army Black Knights Fall to Navy

Airstrike

Cow
Dec 14, 2005
Disappointing loss to rival Navy on Sunday, a game the Black Knights should have won by double digits. The shooting percentage (31% overall, abysmal 10% from 3-pt. range) hit a miserable low, surprising considering this was a home game with a capacity crowd. Navy shot out of their minds from behind the arc (47.8%) and just was the better team that day.

Look for Army to turn the tables in February when they go to Annapolis. Next up on Wednesday is a road game at Colgate. Army must shake the shooting slump and come out firing. Too many good shooters on the team to have everybody get cold in the same game...

Go Army!

Was at the game Airstrike - you hit the nail on the head. If both team play to their average, Army should win by 10. Navy has a 27 point advantage over us in 3 point shots. We lost by 9. Critical sequence of the game was Army down by 1 -34-33 with 2 free throws available to take the lead. Both were missed. Navy came down and 10 seconds later it was a 4 point game. We never got that close again. The inconsisitency is maddening. I wish we played a given combination on the floor at least 5 minutes in a row once in awhile. I really believe the non-stop substitutions drive the on again off again shooting exhibitions presented by this team.

You may be on to something there, KnightNight...the frequent and sometimes wholesale substitutions could possibly be a major contributor to the inconsistent shooting. No one really has time to "get in a groove". I suppose the reasoning behind it is to keep fresh legs on the floor for the entire game and to wear out the other team's players who are going 30+ minutes, but I'm not sure I'm seeing that to be as effective as it is on paper. For this strategy to work, our shooters have to stay hot and not let 2-3 minute stints on the bench cool them off. And, I think we should be getting in the faces of their perimeter shooters more quickly if we are supposedly fresher...
frown.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT