ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone see SMU and the Squids last night?

jiacono

General of the Army
Gold Member
Feb 22, 2015
Navy looks very average and unimpressive overall. Their defensive speed on the perimeter is similar to Army’s. I know SMU has some talented athletes but they aren’t as good as Coastal, Wake or probably UTSA.

The final score was deceptive as Navy was down 40-20 and SMU went into “don’t lose” mode late and Navy mounted a furious comeback.

The Army-Navy game will be a usual slugfest. Both teams are very mediocre this year. If Army can make it to the Navy game with at least half the starting line up in tact, they should have a fighter’s chance.
In my observations, Navy puts the ball on the ground just like Army. Lavatai makes plenty of bad reads. We criticize the Army coaches and QB’s for not getting the ball to our slots enough. Navy seems to have the opposite problem. There were 3 keep reads I counted when Lavatai pitched the ball and put his slot backs in an awful position and caused fumbles or big losses. His arm is mediocre at best. Ballard (when he doesn’t throw off his back foot like he did against Wake and GA State) has a better arm.

The defense loses contain very similar to Army’s D a lot and they don’t get much pressure on the QB. They’re also not great against the run. No superstar athletes on that side of the ball.

Not saying I think Army will win. Just saying as bad as the Black Knights have been thus far, the Squids are no better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News