ADVERTISEMENT

Will college football programs be impacted by the current tension in the country?

I worry about the 1st Amendment now. The freedoms protected by the 1st seem to be under attack with an intolerance I have never witnessed in my 69 years.

I believe that all citizens should be treated equally and fairly and that "bad" policemen should be fired or face the appropriate punishments if they break the law.

Freedom of Speech has been greatly reduced. If you are a business leader, military officer" coach, teacher, Public Official etc try saying "I do not support Black Lives Matter" or "All lives matter" or "people should stand for the National Anthem and respect the Flag" or "95+ % of black murders are committed by black men" and check your job status the next day.

I believe that all citizens should be treated equally and fairly and that "bad" policemen should be fired or face the appropriate punishments if they break the law.

Freedom of Speech has been greatly reduced. If you are a business leader, military officer" coach, teacher, Public Official etc try saying "I do not support Black Lives Matter" or "All lives matter" or "people should stand for the National Anthem and respect the Flag" or "95+ % of black murders are committed by black men" and check your job status the next day.

The irony of your post (IMO) is that you really don't know how you sound right about now.

103853409_3067209143370915_4013318803672275869_n.jpg

Let me ask you this regarding Kapernick taking a knee during the national anthem. What offended you about his actions?

Last edited:

This is what Kaepernick took a knee for, we all have our opinion about it. But to see one of our military members go through this, by people from their own country. Who they swore to protect and serve, is a horrible reminder that military is not as respected as some want us to believe. This incident should of made national attention, but it didn’t.

Hmmmm? Very very Interesting, but not surprising and it will not be the last such transition out.

Well folks....many here clearly have differing opinions of what is what.

Honestly I am a person who cares not what category OAN, BLM, or even ANTIFA or other groups are considered to fall in (far left, far right, Moderate, conservative, liberal, somewhat left, somewhat right). In fact I had to Google to know what OAN even was, while the news has spoken of BLM and ANTIFA every day. But none of that means any of us truly knows what each of those group's goals or motivations clearly are IMHO. I care for an individual and allowing each person to to have their own opinions and beliefs so long as they respect other people in the same manner. To answer @Boomerang87 ....
  • I respect Kaepernick's right to protest even if I disagree with his methods. Kneel if he wants to, but if those who have taken actions against him feel they have cause, then that's their right as well. I'm saying I agree with any actions taken by any person or group.
  • No one should be threatened into silence or shamed or intimidated to include Drew Brees, Mike Gundy or Colin Kaepernick for expressing their beliefs. Brees feels kneeling disrepects the flag while Kaepernick says his motivations are different than the flag. Both can be right and both should be allowed to speak.
  • Then why has Brees been (in my opinion) forced to capitulate and appease others for "his words"?
  • Now Mike Gundy is in jeopardy of potentially losing his players for wearing a T-shirt which he did not flaunt towards anyone I have read. And an "OAN" T-shirt in my opinion is far less offensive than so, so many other T-shirts I see worn. And, that is because the vast, vast majority wouldn't even know what it stood for.
  • No one can openly object to BLM without retribution now. Why is that any different?
My friends combined, fall within all different categories of ethnic groups and life experiences. I don't attack them for their beliefs or skin color, nor do I plan to stop being friends. We are friends for the content of their character and not for the color of their skin. I think their is a quote by Martin Luther King, Jr we should all take to heart and live by.

Unfortunately...in our country right now there are alot of groups intent on dividing us instead of following the belief that ALL people are created equal. America is the best country in the world, and I feel there are many intent on tearing it down with mostly agendas they would rather keep hidden by using incendiary rhetoric as disguises to their true intent. I wasn't brought up that way nor did I serve my counrty for this to happen.

Well, if we are going to be allowed opinions, I have stated mine....again.

I hear your words and believe you to be a man of integrity, but you are absolutely off base if you think that this society we call America is judging everyone based on the content of their character.

If you believe that, then answer two things, although I could list hundreds:

1. How is this graphic possible based on the people hanging from these trees and their character? This was an regular occurrence base on group of people in this nation feeling superior to another group.

lynch-db2a1722a61a2ea2e98a0cc7e20300a12023b7af-s800-c85.jpg

Hell, Liberty University is in the city of Lynchburg. They named a town after the city's pass time of hanging black men and women. That is *&^%$ crazy.

2. Where are all those people who said are created equal, but yet there's a law in this country that has to be on the books to stop lynching.

Therefore, whose AGENDA are you referring to about tearing down this nation?

Hell, Liberty University is in the city of Lynchburg. They named a town after the city's pass time of hanging black men and women. That is *&^%$ crazy.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Lynchburg is named after John Lynch, who was the city's founder. To say it's named after the favorite pastime of the city's residents is sensationalism. Statements like that do more harm than help, in my opinion. If I am wrong about the origins of the name I will stand corrected.

I believe Lynchburg is named after John Lynch, who was the city's founder. To say it's named after the favorite pastime of the city's residents is sensationalism. Statements like that do more harm than help, in my opinion. If I am wrong about the origins of the name I will stand corrected.[/QUOTE]

Standing corrected or not what you failed to even address was how comfortable one group of our society felt in lynching another group in our society and the one thing your addressed was the "allegation" of the name of the town, Lynchburg compared to men hanging from a tree. #SMH

P.S. By way, you are 100% right about where the name Lynchburg derived. John Lynch as the founder of the town and was actually an early supporter of emancipation in the U.S.

Reactions: Armyrusher22
There is no doubt that this thread has college football implications, but it also taps into the political and social topics of our nation. That's not completely unusual because often football (or sports) topics overlap into the world of social issues .... hence we often have those gray areas. Meaning, we can't always throwout the baby with the bath water. Meaning, which GBK message board does a thread fall under.

As such and for the time being, we are moving this thread to the Current Events and Other Topics message board.

Sorry Charles I was still typing when you were posting.

Guess what fellow bloggers...I am not responding to this thread again. But my final words are that it seems no matter what someone says on this subject, there is someone else trying to make their counter point by inserting (for example or something like) a picture from the circa 1930's or some other situation to counter someone's perspective of today's situation...a thread that we are trying to discuss about whether we have football this year. That is today..... I could not hope to bring a seventy year old photo and justify what is happening today with that... it's no me. I honestly cannot follow the logic from some posts on this thread, and I don't think I am unsympathetic or ignorant of what's happening in the world.

I say again, emphatically, my friends and close associates are just that to me because of their character and not their skin color. Enough said from me and the rest of you can discuss this amongst yourself.

So getting back to what GBK sponsors these threads for... Go ARMY, and beat everyone on our schedule THIS YEAR. So regardless of the world which everyone will discuss and hopefully correct...let's talk about football and how the ARMY team is going to come together.

I usually just read, but as the mother of an incoming football player USMAPS 21, as we have gone through COVID and racial tensions, it just solidified that choosing Army was a great choice. As a mom, I couldn’t ask for better leaders for my black son than Coach Monken and General Williams. We wanted our son to not just play football, to not just get college paid for, but to be surrounded by a diverse group of overachievers. No one offers that better than USMA. Go Army! Best Navy!

I usually just read, but as the mother of an incoming football player USMAPS 21, as we have gone through COVID and racial tensions, it just solidified that choosing Army was a great choice. As a mom, I couldn’t ask for better leaders for my black son than Coach Monken and General Williams. We wanted our son to not just play football, to not just get college paid for, but to be surrounded by a diverse group of overachievers. No one offers that better than USMA. Go Army! Best Navy!

Thanks for sharing. Although no institution is not with social injustices, I truly believe that West Point is one of those institutions that is on the side of equal equity on every single platform that a young man or woman will face at the college level. From a football point of view, Coach Monken is awesome.

Reactions: jbruellm

Love this post. Love it. I agree with this 100%. I am spending this evening with my African-American nephew. He is a junior in high school and I am pitching him hard on West Point. I would not do that if I didn't think it was an incredible opportunity for him, and any kid his age! Best to luck to your son. He will not regret his choice.

ADVERTISEMENT