ADVERTISEMENT

Will college football programs be impacted by the current tension in the country?

Saints' Drew Brees says he'll 'never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag'

5e4c5e648a4a5.image.jpg

Reactions: jiacono
Wow @Bulletproof09...
I'm sorry but you make Trump's announcement sound nothing like it's intent in my opinion. For me it's my opinion he is virtually the only leader with a plan of "action" to stop wide spread violence, riots, and criminals intent on vandalizing and destroying inocent citizens' rights for their pursuits of freedom, security and to prevent their businesses being destroyed by those intent on tearing down our democratic American heritage. Any person intent on exercising their constitutional rights to protest peacably would then be protected by his actions.

Tell us with honesty...what are state governors or city mayors doing other than cowering in fear or intimidation in the path of these anarchists and pure criminal elements. I don't see them protecting civil liberties or the peaceful rights of true "protesters". My opinion.... Very sad display of weak governments that are failing it's constituents. I for one support his plans and hope he does what he says.

102406216_10219919962842072_9087042555039711232_n.jpg

YES, football programs and many other "American" institutions are being adversely affected by this situation and wedges are being unfortunately driven in between groups of individuals who otherwise work well together in their support of common goals. In that context I attempt to keep this thread honest to the question posed.
  • It is extremely obvious that I have my opinion and others have theirs, and that both sides have legitimate points. Give me that at least.
  • Every person (regardless of what personal opinions or side they fall on) likely will not be convinced by any opposing post here to change their thinking.
  • Further, I admit how incredibly challenging to peaceful discourse it is that opposite sides of this conversation will take the exact same facts or events and with conviction come to completely opposite conclusions. Don't know how to bring everyone to a similar conclusion, and I supposrt opposing opinions when great and helpful discussion brings a consensus. Compromise only creates winners and losers. Consensus brings us to a place where everyone can support the results.
  • There are lots of very smart individuals with time on their hands that can scan the internet for far reaching statistics to support their points of view.
My positions are (and I hope stated clearly):
  1. So...no one in their right mind can watch the video of that police officer in Minneapolis and conclude that the death of Mr. Floyd was justifiable. (100%) That officer IMHO should be convicted along with his other three helping officers and punished to the full extent of the law. But it needs to be done with absolute equal justice under our laws. Not with any swift lynching mentality.
  2. By the same measure of certainty...the vast, vast, and potentially 99.99% of other law enforcement professionals feel that same way, and that hopefully those good officers trying to dutifully uphold the laws will never be grouped in the same category as who committed this awful crime. Unfortunately, ALL police seem to be the targets and groupd along with the criminal police officer anyway.
  3. That there are justifiable reasons both white and black Americans protest their beliefs, and so long as they do so without violence I fully support it. An unfortunate element of this situation is that criminal and other bad people are co-opting "good" "Peaceful" protesters by using them as shields to create havoc and riot.
  4. No violent rioting should be tolerated, especially that which targets any American person, business, or government agency and that ultimately is seen as perpetrated by criminal or anarchist group subverting the rule of law.
  5. I have seen the video of wanton destruction of innocent American's property and livelihoods, the murdering of at least one police officer and the beating of individuals attempting to protect their homes and businesses. No way is any of that justifiable yet well-known politicians or even professional athletes say it is. Very sad.
  6. The rule of law which is what MAKES US ALL FREE AND SAFE IN THE BEST COUNTRY IN THIS WORLD has been hijacked by an incredibly small minority of bad people, criminals, or others with an anti-American agenda.
So, my point supports stopping the rioting & criminal activity and protect the honest and innocent protesters, those scared-out-of-their-mind residents in these cities, and then uphold the rule of law with appropriate and restrained force. The rule of law is only just that when those rules are enforced equally for everyone.
So, who has been effectively thwarting the evil criminal elements? That is the question and the problem.

YES, football programs and many other "American" institutions are being adversely affected by this situation and wedges are being unfortunately driven in between groups of individuals who otherwise work well together in their support of common goals. In that context I attempt to keep this thread honest to the question posed.
  • It is extremely obvious that I have my opinion and others have theirs, and that both sides have legitimate points. Give me that at least.
  • Every person (regardless of what personal opinions or side they fall on) likely will not be convinced by any opposing post here to change their thinking.
  • Further, I admit how incredibly challenging to peaceful discourse it is that opposite sides of this conversation will take the exact same facts or events and with conviction come to completely opposite conclusions. Don't know how to bring everyone to a similar conclusion, and I supposrt opposing opinions when great and helpful discussion brings a consensus. Compromise only creates winners and losers. Consensus brings us to a place where everyone can support the results.
  • There are lots of very smart individuals with time on their hands that can scan the internet for far reaching statistics to support their points of view.
My positions are (and I hope stated clearly):
  1. So...no one in their right mind can watch the video of that police officer in Minneapolis and conclude that the death of Mr. Floyd was justifiable. (100%) That officer IMHO should be convicted along with his other three helping officers and punished to the full extent of the law. But it needs to be done with absolute equal justice under our laws. Not with any swift lynching mentality.
  2. By the same measure of certainty...the vast, vast, and potentially 99.99% of other law enforcement professionals feel that same way, and that hopefully those good officers trying to dutifully uphold the laws will never be grouped in the same category as who committed this awful crime. Unfortunately, ALL police seem to be the targets and groupd along with the criminal police officer anyway.
  3. That there are justifiable reasons both white and black Americans protest their beliefs, and so long as they do so without violence I fully support it. An unfortunate element of this situation is that criminal and other bad people are co-opting "good" "Peaceful" protesters by using them as shields to create havoc and riot.
  4. No violent rioting should be tolerated, especially that which targets any American person, business, or government agency and that ultimately is seen as perpetrated by criminal or anarchist group subverting the rule of law.
  5. I have seen the video of wanton destruction of innocent American's property and livelihoods, the murdering of at least one police officer and the beating of individuals attempting to protect their homes and businesses. No way is any of that justifiable yet well-known politicians or even professional athletes say it is. Very sad.
  6. The rule of law which is what MAKES US ALL FREE AND SAFE IN THE BEST COUNTRY IN THIS WORLD has been hijacked by an incredibly small minority of bad people, criminals, or others with an anti-American agenda.
So, my point supports stopping the rioting & criminal activity and protect the honest and innocent protesters, those scared-out-of-their-mind residents in these cities, and then uphold the rule of law with appropriate and restrained force. The rule of law is only just that when those rules are enforced equally for everyone.
So, who has been effectively thwarting the evil criminal elements? That is the question and the problem.

MY GOD WELL SAID AND STRAIGHT TO THE POINT....... I agree! You already know whose releasing the beast. That part bothers me, but his not the only. You are (suppose) to be a leader supporting unity not division, to the people in this country.

You nor I know if he apologized for the backlash. But maybe, just maybe he felt his comments were wrong after conversing with other and that's okay with me. Come on, your comments are just as bad if you can't allow a person to apologize and ask for forgiveness and move on.

Had he not apologized, you would have continued to criticize him. #Can'tWinForLosing #SMH

You nor I know if he apologized for the backlash. But maybe, just maybe he felt his comments were wrong after conversing with other and that's okay with me. Come on, your comments are just as bad if you can't allow a person to apologize and ask for forgiveness and move on.

Had he not apologized, you would have continued to criticize him. #Can'tWinForLosing #SMH

Reactions: Bulletproof09
From the post of @ArmyFootball2016 above.

Wow..I feel the true emotion and the articulate expression Malcolm Jenkins showed in his video response to Drew Brees. Udeniably well said...better than most I've heard regarding the racism surrounding this hell going on in America today. I applaud his emotion and his description of the "core" issue and basis for all the true demonstrations, and I support his assertions and assessment. Let us all support positive change and resolutions to make everyone in America equal under the constitution and laws that protect us.

BUT there was no mention by Mr. Jenkins of the riots, looting, burning, killing, terrorizing, and total lawlessness of those who would subvert the goodness intended to come from the true, virtuous, or legitmate First Amendment's right to protest. If anything (in my opinion), those are the acts which dishonor and attempt to destroy what the American flag I for 29 years while on duty, and most if not all on this thread also served to protect.

We must distinctly separate the two diametrically opposing viewpoints. Too often all crouds in all cities are lumped together by far to many as one-in-the-same --> peaceful. I contend they not all peaceful, but opportunistic for many very wrong reasons. IMO far more focus should be on distinctly separating these two groups and identifying the peaceful to be protected, and the criminal and destructive to be suppressed, arrested and prosecuted for their lawlessness and wonton destruction. I simply cannot understand how anyone can oppose supporting both (1) the just causes and (2) condeming criminal acts as just that...deserving of the full extent of the laws we live by,

ok again what do you think would be appropriate? I know the meaning, you mention tactical Nuck. So I’m sure you was being sarcastic, however I just felt the need to ask you:cool:;)
Tactical nuke was sarcasm in response to "by whatever means necessary." That could possibly include something like shooting someone who was walking away from a store with looted items.

Proportionate response would be stopping them. And shooting them would clearly not be proportionate.

Can't stop them? Too bad. That doesn't mean you shoot them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulletproof09

Whatever!

In the interview, Norvell said he "had a lot of open communication" with his players and "went back and forth individually with every player this weekend."

Wilson, a team captain in 2019, tweeted he and his teammates would not be working out "until further notice."

Norvell issued a statement Thursday afternoon thanking Wilson and to say he was wrong to say that he spoke with "every" player.

"Last Saturday evening, I sent a text to each player individually to present an opportunity for open communication with me," Norvell said in the statement. "Many members of our team chose to respond and have more in-depth conversations about issues and feelings. Marvin is right. It was a mistake to use the word 'every.' Particularly at this time, words are important, and I'm sorry. ... We will continue to communicate and work together to be part of the solution making our world a better place for ALL."

I thought all might be interested in the update, since it includes an update from Wilson himself.

The tweet quoted in the update was in the earlier article, and while the update isn't 100% clear, it would appear that they'll be working out now (or whenever they get to campus, I'm not following their calendar that closely).

Are you really a racist if you want to stand and honor the flag during the National Anthem? If so - I am a racist

Reactions: 1976knight
The QB of the NO Saints - Drew Brees - made a statement during an interview that he believed in standing and showing respect for the flag during the playing of the National Anthem. To say the least - the black players on his team and in the NFL reacted VERY STRONGLY in a negative way. Brees immediately reversed himself and apologized to everyone in sight for expressing that opinion. A seemingly strong man caved in immediately under pressure.

Reactions: 1976knight
The QB of the NO Saints - Drew Brees - made a statement during an interview that he believed in standing and showing respect for the flag during the playing of the National Anthem. To say the least - the black players on his team and in the NFL reacted VERY STRONGLY in a negative way. Brees immediately reversed himself and apologized to everyone in sight for expressing that opinion. A seemingly strong man caved in immediately under pressure.

You have the entire narrative wrong, but whatever man! Plus, you still never answered who on this thread called YOU a racist for standing and honoring the flag?

Are you really a racist if you want to stand and honor the flag during the National Anthem? If so - I am a racist

NO YOU ARE NOT A RACIST!!!!!!! Just like if you stand for the flag, doesn’t stop you from committing horrible crimes! As we can see that:(

Why you said the players reacted very strongly in a negative way? Just because they expressed how it made them feel!!!! This the thing, WE don’t or can’t control someone else’s feelings, just because we don’t believe we made them uncomfortable, by what we said or did. Part of the problem is ( we ) think we do. Sometimes we don’t want to take responsibility in our actions, specially when we think we right.

This is a very surreal and crazy time that we are experiencing in American history. I honestly wonder how other nations now look at us.:eek:

I find this trend quite disturbing, and if continued will definately impact and continue the tensions in this country,,,thereby affecting even the sport of football we all love so much.

So are the opinions of those more liberal or leaning in any other direction the only thoughts in our America that count, and how in the world is everything people do in their personal lives which are not directed towrds any person be interpreted and scrutinized as a racial slur insensitive to a certain segment of people. WOW....

Very sorry state of affairs. Am I right in interpreting Hubbard as saying nobody (in his mind) should be a conservative? (OAN)
Why is wearting a T-shirt suddenly become racist or insensitive? Must only individuals who are liberal be considered able to be "politically correct"?
What has this society come to?

That's not what my mind says is right....anyone has the right to their personal perspectives and should not be immediately threatened or intimidated to appologize or cower to some other's way of thinking.

Reactions: hueybird
This isn't just anybody, this is the head coach of football team with a lot of minorities.

And OAN isn't just conservative, it is a conspiracy-spreading far right network.

Reactions: Boomerang87
I find this trend quite disturbing, and if continued will definately impact and continue the tensions in this country,,,thereby affecting even the sport of football we all love so much.

So are the opinions of those more liberal or leaning in any other direction the only thoughts in our America that count, and how in the world is everything people do in their personal lives which are not directed towrds any person be interpreted and scrutinized as a racial slur insensitive to a certain segment of people. WOW....

Very sorry state of affairs. Am I right in interpreting Hubbard as saying nobody (in his mind) should be a conservative? (OAN)
Why is wearting a T-shirt suddenly become racist or insensitive? Must only individuals who are liberal be considered able to be "politically correct"?
What has this society come to?

That's not what my mind says is right....anyone has the right to their personal perspectives and should not be immediately threatened or intimidated to appologize or cower to some other's way of thinking.

I hear what you are saying, but why didn't you have the same outcry when Colin Kaepernick exercise his rights when kneeling during the National Anthem in protest of police brutality and racial inequality in the United States.?

Not only was Kaepernick threatened and intimated ... using your two words above, but he was
blacklisted by "owners" of the NFL from playing anymore.

By the way and to answer your question about 'why is wearing a T-Shirt suddenly become racist or insensitive?' My answer would be 'it depends on what the T-Shirt is displaying'. Would you agree or disagree?

Players have the right to kneel during the National Anthem - people also have the right to object to that action and take any legal action - like not support that team, verbally object, not hire that person, not support the sponsor of the event etc..

Players have the right to kneel during the National Anthem - people also have the right to object to that action and take any legal action - like not support that team, verbally object, not hire that person, not support the sponsor of the event etc..

So what does your place of employment have to do with it, if you're not military? Now that’s where the line is drawn, your place of employment can’t make you stand for the Anthem. That’s against your 1st Amendment Right. Even if you have a government job, it’s not required of you to Stand recite the national anthem... Come on now!!!!! So the NFL just put it in on their policy, to stand for national anthem. And they all need to take it to court, it’s not in their contract.... they doing to much

Well folks....many here clearly have differing opinions of what is what.

Honestly I am a person who cares not what category OAN, BLM, or even ANTIFA or other groups are considered to fall in (far left, far right, Moderate, conservative, liberal, somewhat left, somewhat right). In fact I had to Google to know what OAN even was, while the news has spoken of BLM and ANTIFA every day. But none of that means any of us truly knows what each of those group's goals or motivations clearly are IMHO. I care for an individual and allowing each person to to have their own opinions and beliefs so long as they respect other people in the same manner. To answer @Boomerang87 ....
  • I respect Kaepernick's right to protest even if I disagree with his methods. Kneel if he wants to, but if those who have taken actions against him feel they have cause, then that's their right as well. I'm saying I agree with any actions taken by any person or group.
  • No one should be threatened into silence or shamed or intimidated to include Drew Brees, Mike Gundy or Colin Kaepernick for expressing their beliefs. Brees feels kneeling disrepects the flag while Kaepernick says his motivations are different than the flag. Both can be right and both should be allowed to speak.
  • Then why has Brees been (in my opinion) forced to capitulate and appease others for "his words"?
  • Now Mike Gundy is in jeopardy of potentially losing his players for wearing a T-shirt which he did not flaunt towards anyone I have read. And an "OAN" T-shirt in my opinion is far less offensive than so, so many other T-shirts I see worn. And, that is because the vast, vast majority wouldn't even know what it stood for.
  • No one can openly object to BLM without retribution now. Why is that any different?
My friends combined, fall within all different categories of ethnic groups and life experiences. I don't attack them for their beliefs or skin color, nor do I plan to stop being friends. We are friends for the content of their character and not for the color of their skin. I think their is a quote by Martin Luther King, Jr we should all take to heart and live by.

Unfortunately...in our country right now there are alot of groups intent on dividing us instead of following the belief that ALL people are created equal. America is the best country in the world, and I feel there are many intent on tearing it down with mostly agendas they would rather keep hidden by using incendiary rhetoric as disguises to their true intent. I wasn't brought up that way nor did I serve my counrty for this to happen.

Well, if we are going to be allowed opinions, I have stated mine....again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT