ADVERTISEMENT

Will college football programs be impacted by the current tension in the country?

TheWestPoint07

First Captain
Gold Member
May 21, 2012
Going through COVID-19, now this unbelievable tension surrounding race and police brutality, I wonder how schools like the University of Minnesota will be impacted when it comes to recruiting?

Click Here

Only a handful of college football head coaches have even publicly addressed this scenario, but that's a start in the arena of college athletics.

The bottomline is that I hope that this thread can ignite something positive and root out the evil that exist across this nation.

Good question and I'm not sure, because at the end of the day, the current group of high school seniors obviously want to attend college and play college ball. I think the question becomes, where and who do they play for and what school will that be.

Like you said, Minnesota is going to have to work hard to retain current commits and get additional commits from African American players. It should be interesting.

I love Tony Dungy! Great man of God and Minnesota alum. He always says exactly the right thing. Proves you can be a successful coach in your own way without having to be something you’re not.
I’m not going to make any predictions about the impact the current situation will have on the season as I’ve been wrong on many predictions this year.
I just pray we can heal and sort all this out with love and unite as the best ideal of what America can be. As Coach Dungy referenced, Romans 12:21.

Coach Fleck and crew will be just fine at the U of MN. He got a huge commitment a few days ago, while the fires were burning. I am not sure I attached the link correctly but he has addressed it publicly. And he has done it many, many times with his team. Many current and former Gopher players have taken part in the protests, black and white. Many have been active on twitter, supporting the protests. The assistants, including Chad Wilt, have been active in publicly supporting the protests on social media. The school has publicly announced that it will not use the Minneapolis police department for security any longer.

I live in the Twin Cities. This ranks among the best places to live in the country. I am sick about the whole situation. I hope my Gophers use it as a rallying cry to come together and go win a national championship... A championship to honor George Floyd, all of the state's citizens, every victim of police brutality, every good cop to ever wear a uniform, and every business owner whose livelihood has been destroyed by rioting. What an example that would set, and what a story that would be.

I am sickened by this whole mess..l hope we can affect change. Presently we are haunted by our history ...until we can unshackle these cement boots that are our past we have no hope..l gave the 40 best years of my life to make America better and safer..as the sun sets on my effort l hope with all my hope that we rise above the current mess and l wave good bye with joy and a smile..not the tears and sense of despair that dominate me now..wrt Gopher football..they will be fine
I agree their efforts will greatly heal local pain..it is not a local problem though..it mestastizied in Minneapolis but it's all through our national body..Army football will be fine too (gosh, l hope so!)
Beat Navy!!

Thought I would add this to my post above. This is Coach Fleck, being interviewed on ESPN.

Reactions: jiacono
Why should they think twice? Please explain.

Based on how his handling this present situation, inciting violence and threatening to put the
Military on the people in this country. For exercising their 1st Amendment rights.

I saw this posted by someone I know on Facebook and it would turn America around if it were to occur

100915038_10223081224358911_1404216167035305984_o.jpg

Of course, many HBCUs do play D1 sports.

(I love when people forget to fail to realize that FCS is D1. And that there are also a LOT of D1 schools that don't field varsity football teams.)

@jbruellm totally agree! PJ Fleck is one of the top coaches in the country and one of the greatest motivators. He will use this tragedy to motivate his players and rally the university and state around his team.

Reactions: jbruellm
Wow @Bulletproof09...
I'm sorry but you make Trump's announcement sound nothing like it's intent in my opinion. For me it's my opinion he is virtually the only leader with a plan of "action" to stop wide spread violence, riots, and criminals intent on vandalizing and destroying inocent citizens' rights for their pursuits of freedom, security and to prevent their businesses being destroyed by those intent on tearing down our democratic American heritage. Any person intent on exercising their constitutional rights to protest peacably would then be protected by his actions.

Tell us with honesty...what are state governors or city mayors doing other than cowering in fear or intimidation in the path of these anarchists and pure criminal elements. I don't see them protecting civil liberties or the peaceful rights of true "protesters". My opinion.... Very sad display of weak governments that are failing it's constituents. I for one support his plans and hope he does what he says.

Reactions: CantonArmyFan
Hey Charles, do you expect that we will hear from Coach Monken surrounding the current climate, especially when it comes to the Army football program, which is diverse of course, but my guess is that the majority of players are African American. Your thoughts please.

For what it’s worth, I feel like my home city of ATL failed miserably in shutting down the domestic terrorists on Friday night. However, on Saturday, Mayor Bottoms and GOV Kemp got together and showed how bipartisan cooperation can help solve problems. GOV Kemp activated 3000 GA national guard troops to protect the peaceful protests and stop the rioting; and Mayor Bottoms instituted a 9 PM curfew which was mostly enforced pretty effectively.
There have been a few incidents the last few nights but for the most part the riots have been shut down with minimal damage since that horrific disaster on Friday.
As most of you probably know, I’m pretty conservative but I loved Mayor Bottoms’ handling of the situation and her impassioned speech Friday night. Two of my favorite quotes from her speech, “This isn’t Atlanta. We are better than this.”, and “Do you think you’re honoring George Floyd’s memory by running around Buckhead with a stolen Gucci bag??” That second one was just funny.

For what it’s worth, I feel like my home city of ATL failed miserably in shutting down the domestic terrorists on Friday night. However, on Saturday, Mayor Bottoms and GOV Kemp got together and showed how bipartisan cooperation can help solve problems. GOV Kemp activated 3000 GA national guard troops to protect the peaceful protests and stop the rioting; and Mayor Bottoms instituted a 9 PM curfew which was mostly enforced pretty effectively.
There have been a few incidents the last few nights but for the most part the riots have been shut down with minimal damage since that horrific disaster on Friday.
As most of you probably know, I’m pretty conservative but I loved Mayor Bottoms’ handling of the situation and her impassioned speech Friday night. Two of my favorite quotes from her speech, “This isn’t Atlanta. We are better than this.”, and “Do you think you’re honoring George Floyd’s memory by running around Buckhead with a stolen Gucci bag??” That second one was just funny.

Of course, many HBCUs do play D1 sports.

(I love when people forget to fail to realize that FCS is D1. And that there are also a LOT of D1 schools that don't field varsity football teams.)

This is true. And even if that proposal meant "FBS Schools" instead of D1, I'm not sure this is a great plan. Sounds like this is advocating for going back to the "separate but equal" days of the 1950s. Not sure that's the best approach.

@jbruellm totally agree! PJ Fleck is one of the top coaches in the country and one of the greatest motivators. He will use this tragedy to motivate his players and rally the university and state around his team.

I agree! Here is what Rashod Bateman (WR) had to say about it recently. I love this kid. Georgia transplant to MN. He will likely be a #1 draft choice. I hear he is a good student, and he is very PR savvy. Hey Rashod, HUGE respect.

That's my last post on the Gophers. This is an Army Football forum after all!

In my opinion the schools will be fine, a lot of programs don’t have a issue with racism, like it was in the pass. Do it still exist sure it does, specially with the forces that surround them. The first solutions to any problem, is to acknowledge there is one. Then less work together to fix the problem.

Enough! This is a premium Army Football Board, not a place for political discussions.

Reactions: hueybird
Enough! This is a premium Army Football Board, not a place for political discussions.

WHAT! It’s our reality right now, rather anyone like it or not. This is a military school and football program. Politics comes with the Territory, why can’t we discuss it like adults respectfully. Are you uncomfortable with it?

Bulletprof09-Not one person - including President Trump - has said anything about stopping peaceful demonstrations. To imply otherwise is disgraceful and misleading. However, we must stop criminal, looters and arsonists by whatever means necessary.
I see no negative implications for West Point and Army football. The US Army is not perfect, but has been a leader in equal pay, equal treatment, promotions, etc for minorities.

This is Jaxson Deaton. I played Army football from 2016-2019. I am using my dad's account with Charles Grevious' permission regarding my thoughts that I posted on instagram earlier today in here.

I am a white male in America. I will never be able to fully understand or live through the hardships the black people have to live through in America. But I will try my hardest to understand and I will continually speak out in support for black lives and black excellence. Black is beautiful.

My wife @jillianmdeaton has opened up my eyes to the horror story black Americans live through every day. It is my duty as a husband and a future father to black children to fight to eliminate the gap of inequality as well the unwarranted fear and racism displayed towards black people. God loves all his children and as a Christian, I will love all of his creation. Silence is just as bad as the acts committed against Black Americans. Speak out. Fight for justice. No Justice No Peace.
#blackoutday2020

This is Jaxson Deaton. I played Army football from 2016-2019. I am using my dad's account with Charles Grevious' permission regarding my thoughts that I posted on instagram earlier today in here.

I am a white male in America. I will never be able to fully understand or live through the hardships the black people have to live through in America. But I will try my hardest to understand and I will continually speak out in support for black lives and black excellence. Black is beautiful.

My wife @jillianmdeaton has opened up my eyes to the horror story black Americans live through every day. It is my duty as a husband and a future father to black children to fight to eliminate the gap of inequality as well the unwarranted fear and racism displayed towards black people. God loves all his children and as a Christian, I will love all of his creation. Silence is just as bad as the acts committed against Black Americans. Speak out. Fight for justice. No Justice No Peace.
#blackoutday2020

Great share Jaxson and much success in the future

Bulletprof09-Not one person - including President Trump - has said anything about stopping peaceful demonstrations. To imply otherwise is disgraceful and misleading. However, we must stop criminal, looters and arsonists by whatever means necessary.
I see no negative implications for West Point and Army football. The US Army is not perfect, but has been a leader in equal pay, equal treatment, promotions, etc for minorities.

You got to be kidding me right, misleading how? When he just took a photo opt infront of the church. But made the police gas and pepper spray, on peaceful protestors. To clear the way for him to take a picture. That’s all you see is peaceful protestors being assaulted. While looting is being unpoliced.

#blackoutday2020

Great post Jaxson

By whatever means necessary? Like tactical nukes?

I think maybe we should use proportionate, lawful actions to stop criminals.

Reactions: ArmyFootball2016
ADVERTISEMENT