ADVERTISEMENT

Which positions are you most comfortable going into the 2017 season?

BetterThanNavy

Commandant
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
On offense I would have to say QB with Ahmad Bradshaw and back up Chris Carter and followed by Hopkins.

On defense it would be strong safety with James Gibson and backup Cameron Jones.

Fullback is stacked like no other position and on defense I will to go with safety with England, Gibby and Cameron Jones

O: OL and slots
D: DL and the whole Def backfield. The good news is I dont think we'll be much worse. The bad news is I dont think we will be much better. In both spots we are one key injury away from a tough situation. Really hoping for A Mac and Gibby to stay healthy and have big seasons.

Offense - line, QBs, B
Defense- never usually say this At Army - line

O: OL and slots
D: DL and the whole Def backfield. The good news is I dont think we'll be much worse. The bad news is I dont think we will be much better. In both spots we are one key injury away from a tough situation. Really hoping for A Mac and Gibby to stay healthy and have big seasons.

The whole defensive backfield? I don’t see where we have depth at any of the DB positions with the exception of strong safety with Gibson and Jones. What am I missing? Where is the depth at corner?

QB ad O Line. There is experience and depth there. Beyond that I like our B backs. Slots are a question mark, but could end up being huge. On the D side of the ball there are a lot of questions. Given the comments from the coaching staff I think we're going to be fine.

Reactions: jiacono
Slots and O-Line. O-Line is a seasoned group and should be very good. Slots are also a very strong group and there is a still a chance of Campbell returning. Asberry - 794 total yds (rushing & receiving) 7.5 yds per carry. Trainor 493 total yds at 7.6 yds per carry. Kell Walker - 408 total yds at 6.5 yds per carry. McGue should be a great addition as well, along with Lynch and Franklin. QB spot is solid too, but need to improve their passing efficiency.

Deepest position is fullback, IMHO, but it's also the one that requires the most depth. Davidson and Woolfolk are a solid and proven 1-2, and Macek proved his worth with 1 hundred-yard game last year as well. From all reports, Holt is challenging for time and there are a couple of others with game experience; so there's plenty of reserve.

The OL appears to be particularly strong at the two guard positions. Not as certain about the depth at center and tackle, but the starting lineup is as good as any Army has fielded in recent years.

In fact, the only questionable position on the offense is TE. All the others are a solid two deep at least.

Couldn't ask for much better than Aukerman at SAM with Wolf as a solid and proven backup.

The whole defensive backfield? I don’t see where we have depth at any of the DB positions with the exception of strong safety with Gibson and Jones. What am I missing? Where is the depth at corner?
answered the ques wrong. most comfortable was offense. least comfortable was DL and Def backfield. on Def, I should have said LBs

answered the ques wrong. most comfortable was offense. least comfortable was DL and Def backfield. on Def, I should have said LBs
Are we not taking into consideration incoming from prep????
Darn good LBs and DB/Corners coming in.

Reactions: SandD65
Stay tuned for our article on Emerging Role Players on Defense. Bateman identifies some players he thinks will provide depth this year, including a backup at cornerback. He moved McClinton, who was a pretty serviceable CB, back to Safety; so he must be reasonably happy with the depth he has at CB now. Hyatt should be back, and Riley had an outstanding plebe year.

Dvgomez - Valid point. Please name the DBs and LBs that you feel could/will make impact upon their arrival this summer.
ArmMadDog, would love to name names, however, respectfully cannot. Rest assured that summer will bring them to the field and their progress will shine!!!!
This is not a cop out, was asked not to name anybody.

I hear that Macek is leaving

Bummer but no huge loss there. I heard he was held out of Spring practice for academics. I think B back may be our strongest position (or one of). Amazing when you consider where we were a little over a year ago. Davidson, Woolfolk, Slomka, Holt...I am sure I am leaving a few out. We are well stocked.

What about Luke Langdon at QB? He was the starting QB when he was in the prep school and got injured and didn't play last year. He played a little in the Rutger's game and the end of the Navy game in the 2015 season. I hear he is healthy and possibly pushing for the #3 or possibly #2 slot. I understand that he is probably the best passer of the QB group and makes good reads and decisions when running the option.

Reactions: SpecialOps55
What about Luke Langdon at QB? He was the starting QB when he was in the prep school and got injured and didn't play last year. He played a little in the Rutger's game and the end of the Navy game in the 2015 season. I hear he is healthy and possibly pushing for the #3 or possibly #2 slot. I understand that he is probably the best passer of the QB group and makes good reads and decisions when running the option.

Here’s GBK’s Premium article - ‘Army QBs Post Spring Update’ and Langdon is mentioned. We are very deep at QB.

I think because of his injury Langdon is #4 right now. He does have a good arm though. Just from what I saw in 2015, I felt like Carter had more upside, but we'll see. Maybe Langdon will surprise us and compete for the starting job in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT