ADVERTISEMENT

Triple option backs in 3 point stance

Copplin82

Plebe
Apr 21, 2012
I was watching Lenoir Rhynes the other day on you tube and noticed they went out of a three point stance like how we did at west point. Then I noticed that The Citadel coach just came from LR and is doing the same thing there, ive been studying film, im trying to walk on at the Citadel. What is the purpose of this, do you guys think it helps?

I'm not sure what advantage is gained by it but they must. Perhaps their slots were leaning into the play and this keeps them settled. I run this same offense and have never considered a 3-pt stance for the slot backs. There has to be a reason and they've had success with it so it would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

I coached under Jim Young and Bob Sutton and our backs were in 3-point stances when they were in the standard wishbone and 2-point when in the slot. I also used the same philosophy my first few years as a head coach in the wishbone. The 3-pt gets the shoulders down and makes for better north-south running and the 2-point is better for motion or lateral movement. Momentum and low shoulders are maximized for inside running but it helps in blocking also. Especially if they are the blocking back on a load block or sealing the LB, the forward motion is most prominent. They still have to get down hill when arc blocking the perimeter defender. The 2-pt gives them more flexibility getting out to the perimeter and the ability to see coverages.

I figured it had to do with speed, I honestly feel faster when I run out of a 3 point stance rather then a 2 point stance. I wonder if it was to do with the lateral movement drill that is done at combines. Either way it seems like Mike Houston and last years Ian Shields used the same philosophy.

I also remember something about "exploding" out vs exploding up or down. From a 2 point you can end up leaning down into a hand-off instead of exploding out into one. Exploding up isn't always good either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT