ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL ARMY-STANFORD PREDICTION THREAD

Armyranger26

Commandant
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2011
I think it will be very close, but a pissed off Stanford team is able to pull it out.

Stanford 28
Army 24

Upset of the season for us and it will knock Stanford out of the Top 25.

Army 27
Stanford 24

Long trip, angry Stanford team, who knows that we played them well last year - so they are not looking past us.

Our defense remains very suspect at this time, so that is a huge concern. We will be able to move the ball on the Cardinal defense, but it won't be enough however.

Stanford - 24
Army - 21

Going with the upset as well and meaning it too.

Army 30
Stanford 28

I echo the pissed off Stanford team and a coach that wants to make a point. They have a week off after this and will not look past us.

In many ways we are improved I think, but going all the way to Cal, playing a big time program that is licking some wounds - they will not run it up, but this could be ugly.

Stanford 42
Army 17.
(My pragmatic prediction, not the optimisitc one)

I stil think we are better and the schedule after this looks reasonable. Just think we are going into the home of an angry giant. Maybe they are demoralized and will look past us, but let's play well and not have big injuries.

This will either be our best output of the year or worse, no moral victories for us here. If we are to grow as a program, it's about winning football games, not hoping that we don't embarrass ourselves.

Stanford 35
Army 28

Late 4th quarter Cardinal TD does us in.

Stanford will run the ball, because they like to play that game and they will be able to use it against us, and Army will run the ball because it's what we do; so the clock will move between plays and neither offense will be mistaken for Oregon's. Stanford will be better prepared for the triple option than they were last season, but still won't be able to stop it cold. Hopefully Monken solves the travel issues this year.

Stanford 28
Army 17

Originally posted by goodknight65:
Stanford will run the ball, because they like to play that game and they will be able to use it against us, and Army will run the ball because it's what we do; so the clock will move between plays and neither offense will be mistaken for Oregon's. Stanford will be better prepared for the triple option than they were last season, but still won't be able to stop it cold. Hopefully Monken solves the travel issues this year.

Stanford 28
Army 17
The plus side for us is that this is not the same option offense that Stanford saw last year and either way, we will move the ball on them. Our guys won't be in awe, because we held our own with them last year.

Stanford wins, but it will be a battle of offenses.

Stanford 28
Army 21

Stanford will win handily. Army will have its moments, and hopefully escape serious injury, but the Black knights will never really be in this one.
flush.r191677.gif

Originally posted by armyfan:

Stanford will win handily. Army will have its moments, and hopefully escape serious injury, but the Black knights will never really be in this one.
flush.r191677.gif
Why is that armyfan?

Because Stanford is a much better team personnel wise, and their coaching staff is probably better as well. I hope Army pulls the upset of the year, but I wouldn't bet on it. Stanford by 20+.

Because Stanford is a much better team personnel wise, and their coaching staff is probably better as well. I hope Army pulls the upset of the year, but I wouldn't bet on it. Stanford by 20+.
Famous last words stated by many prior to the Monken coached/lead Georgia Southern team beat Florida Gators of the SEC last year, 26-20.

Secondly, how did you determine that the Stanford coaching staff is better than the Army staff?

Originally posted by NJFAN:

Famous last words stated by many prior to the Monken coached/lead Georgia Southern team beat Florida Gators of the SEC last year, 26-20.

Secondly, how did you determine that the Stanford coaching staff is better than the Army staff?
I'll be very happy if proven wrong re: the outcome. Stanford is a major conference FBS power; Army is still an FBS wanna be. When Army becomes bowl eligible on a regular basis and beats a couple of "Big 5" conference powers, I may well change my mind. But Monken lost to quite a few "less than powers" in his days at Georgia Southern and never reached the FCS finals if my memory serves.
flush.r191677.gif

I'll be very happy if proven wrong re: the outcome. Stanford is a major conference FBS power; Army is still an FBS wanna be. When Army becomes bowl eligible on a regular basis and beats a couple of "Big 5" conference powers, I may well change my mind. But Monken lost to quite a few "less than powers" in his days at Georgia Southern and never reached the FCS finals if my memory serves.
flush.r191677.gif
For the record, GSU lost in the semi-finals in 2010 to Delaware, the team that finished as the runner up.

In 2011 and 2012 they lost to North Dakota State in the semi-finals and NDS went on to win the championship.

GSU was not eligible in 2013

The Florida team they beat was 4-8 that year, but it's still an impressive win for an FCS team, just as the Appalachian State win over Michigan was impressive.

REMEMBER : On any Given Day, Guts, Glory, Pride and Attitude can and does perform the impossible.
I will always believe in our Team,

ARMY 35

Stanford 28

You got to believe !

I think some folks forget the following and aren't embracing the current:

1. Last year Stanford came to Michie ranked #5 in the nation and we gave them a game.
2. They are pretty much the same team, but we aren't - we are better from a coaching stand point, an intensity point of view, can do it attitude versus I hope we can attitude, we are slightly bigger and absolutely stronger, and clearly more physical.
3. Our backfield can't be stopped and Santiago is 2-3 notches better than last year (critical).
4. Perhaps, just perhaps Stanford is looking ahead, even to their upcoming bye weekend.

Army 28
Stanford 27

My head is telling me Stanford 35, Army 17.

But we pulled out a win last time we played in their stadium in 1979.

And we wore black helmets in that game.

And we do run the option differently and from more than one formation this year than last.

And how much time besides this week has the Stanford defense spent defending the option - and did their scout team even ran it as fast as Army does?

And quite honestly, deep down, the Cardinal first string is looking at this as being over before halftime, just like last year.

And what would a few timely interceptions or fumbles by Stanford do for Army, give us a short field.

And really, you can't question most of the calls by our offensive coordinator, except maybe the next to last series (three FB dives).

So I say, this is probably one of the best chances Army has had in defeating a rank team, and heck, why not be Army's time to shine in that upset spotlight for once?

final answer, ARMY 31, Stanford 27

Army Defense simply doesn't match-up well against Stanford's Offense. No doubt Army's Defensive Backfield is much improved, but without any prospect of us being able to pressure a very good Stanford quarterback with several good receivers, Stanford Offense is likely to overwhelm the Army D.

Stanford 45
Army 17

I'm excited about the new coach and direction the team is headed. But, I don't think we are going to be knocking Stanford off.

Army plays well but it won't be enough against a strong Stanford team.

Army 20
Stanford 45

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT