ADVERTISEMENT

TCU destroys Ole Miss, but ...

TCU's problem is they lost to their conference mate Baylor, and the Big 12 didn't want to alienate TCU by making Baylor the confeence champ when their own bylaws dicated they should (since both teams had same record with Baylor getting the edge in head-to-head contest). It would have been hard to support Big 12's neglect by picking TCU when Baylor had same record and beat TCU. I like TCU (and saw them play Army in 2006) but TCU and Baylor deserve to sit out until the conference gets its act together.

Originally posted by ashokan:

TCU's problem is they lost to their conference mate Baylor, and the Big 12 didn't want to alienate TCU by making Baylor the confeence champ when their own bylaws dicated they should (since both teams had same record with Baylor getting the edge in head-to-head contest). It would have been hard to support Big 12's neglect by picking TCU when Baylor had same record and beat TCU. I like TCU (and saw them play Army in 2006) but TCU and Baylor deserve to sit out until the conference gets its act together.
Baylor just folded against Michigan State, who lost to Ohio State this season.

6 teams had strong resumes and were all qualified. The 4 teams that made it all deserved to be there. Such is life. There is no perfect scenario to make everyone happy. If there were a 6 team playoff, there still would be one or two teams with arguments about why they should be in.

Originally posted by Armydb417:
6 teams had strong resumes and were all qualified. The 4 teams that made it all deserved to be there. Such is life. There is no perfect scenario to make everyone happy. If there were a 6 team playoff, there still would be one or two teams with arguments about why they should be in.
For some time, I've thought that 8 teams was the sweet spot for a football playoff. If you're not in the top 5 or so (and an 8 team bracket would eliminate any controversy about who's in that elite company), you haven't necessarily earned the privilege to compete for a national title. I think that a college football playoff is more about "settling things on the field" among the teams that are in the national championship conversation, not about turning the regular season into a playoff seeding exercise.

Any team can get hot and knock out three consecutive wins in a tournament. We regularly see that in March Madness. I think that the college football playoff should balance the idea of deciding a champion on the field with the notion that every single game of the college football season is critical to those teams contending for a championship.

I don't know that 4 teams is horrible. I could pretty easily be talked down from 8 but I definitely think that a larger playoff detracts from the historical concept of a college football champion being a team that excelled all year long with no letdowns.

i don't care if Ohio State or Oregon wins on monday.......i'll be hard pressed to believe that TCU wasn't the best team in the country by the end of the year. and they didn't make the playoff.

That alone is the best arguement for an 8 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT