ADVERTISEMENT

Question from a casual Army fan

Feb 17, 2021
Good afternoon. I was hoping you guys could clear something up for me. I've been paying a lot of attention to recruiting lately and I noticed that you guys sign a lot of players. Rivals shows you guys signed 105 recruits in 2021, 89 in 2020, 85 in 2019 and 95 in 2018. I understand that being a military academy that scholarship numbers really aren't the same and that recruits are probably paid for by other means. My question is in regards to the sheer numbers of recruits you all sign. There are only 85 "scholarship spots" and I read that a team can carry around 125 active players on their roster.

I see where you guys have around 160 some players on your roster. What does ARMY do with the players once they get to they get to their mark? So out of the 105 you singed in 2021 how many will actually make the roster and what happens with the rest? Do they all redshirt? Do you guys have 100+ guys on campus waiting to be called up to the roster? Do they practice? If they don't make the roster do they just become members of the ARMY? Do they transfer to other institutions?

I'm just genuinely curious.

Also to clarify my title. I graduated from Marshall University and the Thundering Herd is my team. My dad served in the ARMY so I pull for you guys especially against NAVY.

Thanks in advance guys.

Bleeds Green,

When all is said and done Army Football's "commits" have averaged mid 90s over the last few years Let's use 95 as an example. Those 95 commits are destined to enter either USMA ( West Point) directly in early July or they go to the U SMA Prep School ( mud July) for a year to better prepare for the academic challenges at USMA. By the time July rolls around each year some of the 95 or so recruits will not enter either place -- they go elsewhere. Let's say 5 go elsewhere. Of the remaining 90 approximately 55 will go the USMA's Prep School and the other 35 will enter USMA direct as new cadets in early July. Joining these 35 will be recruits who entered USMA Prep School last year -- after attrition that might be 40 of the 55 who went to the Prep School. So the USMA Class of 2021 would have 75 ( 35 direct entry and 40 via the Prep School) new cadets who play football. The key word here is cadets. The 75 are West Point cadets like the rest of the 1200 or so that enter each year. -- they are not on a football scholarship. Should they leave the team for one reason or another ( cut or quit) they are still cadets who are preparing for an Army Career. A generic attrition model would be something like 75 - 50 - 30 -20 from their freshman year to the senior year. So at the beginning of each year you might find 175 on the roster. About half of them are on the Scout Team . So the "travel roster" is around 80-85 players ....... I hope that helps. Go Marshall Thundering Herd!

Bleeds Green,

When all is said and done Army Football's "commits" have averaged mid 90s over the last few years Let's use 95 as an example. Those 95 commits are destined to enter either USMA ( West Point) directly in early July or they go to the U SMA Prep School ( mud July) for a year to better prepare for the academic challenges at USMA. By the time July rolls around each year some of the 95 or so recruits will not enter either place -- they go elsewhere. Let's say 5 go elsewhere. Of the remaining 90 approximately 55 will go the USMA's Prep School and the other 35 will enter USMA direct as new cadets in early July. Joining these 35 will be recruits who entered USMA Prep School last year -- after attrition that might be 40 of the 55 who went to the Prep School. So the USMA Class of 2021 would have 75 ( 35 direct entry and 40 via the Prep School) new cadets who play football. The key word here is cadets. The 75 are West Point cadets like the rest of the 1200 or so that enter each year. -- they are not on a football scholarship. Should they leave the team for one reason or another ( cut or quit) they are still cadets who are preparing for an Army Career. A generic attrition model would be something like 75 - 50 - 30 -20 from their freshman year to the senior year. So at the beginning of each year you might find 175 on the roster. About half of them are on the Scout Team . So the "travel roster" is around 80-85 players ....... I hope that helps. Go Marshall Thundering Herd!
Thank you! That really clears it up. Good luck to those young men and good luck to your team!

Good afternoon. I was hoping you guys could clear something up for me. I've been paying a lot of attention to recruiting lately and I noticed that you guys sign a lot of players. Rivals shows you guys signed 105 recruits in 2021, 89 in 2020, 85 in 2019 and 95 in 2018. I understand that being a military academy that scholarship numbers really aren't the same and that recruits are probably paid for by other means. My question is in regards to the sheer numbers of recruits you all sign. There are only 85 "scholarship spots" and I read that a team can carry around 125 active players on their roster.

I see where you guys have around 160 some players on your roster. What does ARMY do with the players once they get to they get to their mark? So out of the 105 you singed in 2021 how many will actually make the roster and what happens with the rest? Do they all redshirt? Do you guys have 100+ guys on campus waiting to be called up to the roster? Do they practice? If they don't make the roster do they just become members of the ARMY? Do they transfer to other institutions?

I'm just genuinely curious.

Also to clarify my title. I graduated from Marshall University and the Thundering Herd is my team. My dad served in the ARMY so I pull for you guys especially against NAVY.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hey BleedsGreen33 - you called yourself a casual Army fan, so allow me to respectfully respond to this way as well. ;)

Hey BleedsGreen33 - you called yourself a casual Army fan, so allow me to respectfully respond to this way as well. ;)

GBK is absolutely the best for the hard-core and casual Army football fan. The 12th Knight message board is the best and where all the dialogue really takes place. Worth the subscription IMO.

Reactions: jiacono
ADVERTISEMENT