ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Army sell beer at Michie Stadium during football games?

BlackKnightAlley

First Captain
Gold Member
Feb 20, 2010
This was an article on one of the other Rival sites, so I thought I would steal some of their thunder and put it in poll form here.

For years, alcohol at university stadiums seemed like an almost taboo issue. Surely alcohol shouldn't be sold on a college campus, where the word tailgate essentially means chug as much beer and liquor as you can before kickoff, and then sneak some airplane bottles into the stadium. However, things could be changing as schools look to create new revenue streams.

why-we-are-different.png

We allow alcohol in all the parking lots and even brag about the tailgates.
We sell beer at Black Knight alley right ouside the East Stands.
We serve beer in all the luxury boxes and the Supe Loge inside the stadium.
We serve beer in the A-room where we host the Football letterman's club.

We don't allow beer to be sold by concessionnaires inside the stadium.

There are good arguments on both sides:
Increased revenue, some perceive a better fan experience with beer, less "topping off" before the game because they can still get beer inside.....

More problems with crowd control with both home and away fans, more alcohol availability may lead to more drinking and problems with driving, controlling sale to underage minors, hiring of adult concessionaires to sell beer, less of "family atmosphere",

I say no. There's plenty of time to enjoy a cold one or two at one's pre-game tailgate and of course after the contest.

IMO, no need to open up a can of worms that can only add more harm than good. Revenue is the only good thing that could come out of it, but that shouldn't be the driving force when you consider all the problems that could arise as RedLegRanger mentioned.

Originally posted by RedlegRanger:
We allow alcohol in all the parking lots and even brag about the tailgates.
We sell beer at Black Knight alley right ouside the East Stands.
We serve beer in all the luxury boxes and the Supe Loge inside the stadium.
We serve beer in the A-room where we host the Football letterman's club.

We don't allow beer to be sold by concessionnaires inside the stadium.

There are good arguments on both sides:
Increased revenue, some perceive a better fan experience with beer, less "topping off" before the game because they can still get beer inside.....

More problems with crowd control with both home and away fans, more alcohol availability may lead to more drinking and problems with driving, controlling sale to underage minors, hiring of adult concessionaires to sell beer, less of "family atmosphere",
Right Red... I was thinking what are you talking about. The only thing we don't do is sell it at the concession. But it's no need, cause it's all around us anyway. But I'm still trying to understand how you think to have "drinking" outside the stadium a "family" atmosphere? Even tho I've never seen any disorderly people, but would you with all that arsenal around. I don't care how drunk you are in there, you know dam well you can't beat those military service men that will come at you. You talking about men walking around with some serious gun control. Ready for anything to jump off at any second. .. Unlike any other football game, who don't have the military to get you for disorderly conduct. .. SO IF YOU HAVE IT OUTSIDE, HAVE INSIDE. It's not going to make a dam difference. ..

images

Yes be afraid. ... haha haha with this around, that's all the crowd control we need... they make a big difference, people know what time it is BELIEVE THAT
This post was edited on 7/29 12:30 PM by Bulletproof09

There's enough beer etc at Army games. Its pretty easy to get to the beer area. Army already has too much commotion with people moving around stands. I miss half the first quarter with people coming late and making me do the calisthenics to let people get by and to their seats. I wouldn't want beer people being added to that. I've know people who go to ames with goal of getting tanked up more than seeing game. As it is they spend most if not all their time in lots. I wouldn't want to give them an excuse to leave the lots lol. Army night games from ESPN era could be rough since younger drinking crowd would come to game sauced up. Losing that aspect was good part about going back to day games. I'm not a prohibitionist calling for no beer. Just keep it on the outer perimeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT