ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's your favorite movie quote of all-time?

DocJayy

General of the Army
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2006
10155130_492683434192222_8810572228983012322_n.jpg

"I spent my life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless, but not men." ?Marlon Brando, The Godfather[/I] (1972)

Originally posted by Al Jolson as Jack Robin in The Jazz Singer:

Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain't heard nothin' yet!

This post was edited on 5/13 4:47 PM by ducrotpepys

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

Vince Lombardi

or this one

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

~President Theodore Roosevelt
Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910

I can't believe we are this bored already, I have one, someone guess it..
And mister, your never going to get off this ship..

The Pursuit of HappynessChris Gardner (Will Smith)"Don't ever let someone tell you you can't do something. Not even me. All right?"To his son.

"I can't believe we are this bored already, I have one, someone guess it..
And mister, your never going to get off this ship.. "

"Mister Roberts"
Cagney to Fonda

Film with best potted plant destruction scene

Either one of the following:

"Make him an offer he can't refuse."

If you don't know what movie this came from, you should watch more late night TV.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Rory Schneider's famous ad lib from Jaws.

Originally posted by goodknight65:

If you don't know what movie this came from, you should watch more late night TV.
That was said twice in the movie(s) - who said it, and who were they talking to?

Originally posted by ccsblackknights:

Originally posted by goodknight65:

That was said twice in the movie(s) - who said it, and who were they talking to?
According to Phrase Finder, it's been used more than twice, but the most memorable was in the original Godfather movie:

"The expression 'make an offer he can't refuse' does occur in literature and film prior to 1972, but not with the meaning that it has now taken on because of its use in The Godfather. For example, Jason Robards' character in the 1934 film Burn Em Up Barnes uses "I'll make her an offer she can't refuse". The meaning there is quite different. The character is suggesting making a large and tempting offer of cash - it is meant to be taken as generosity rather than as a threat.

Puzo appears to have been making a reference to an existing phrase so that the Godfather character could ironically pretend that his 'offer' was benevolent.
In the first occurrence in the first Godfather film, it is 'I'll make him an offer he can't refuse'. In one of the film's best-known scenes Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) is visited by his godson, the famous singer Johnny Fontane (Al Martino) - a characterization that is widely believed to be based on Frank Sinatra, although many people associated with Sinatra and the film have denied this. Fontane asks for Vito's help to secure a film role that will boost his fading career. The head of the film studio, has previously refused to give Fontane the part, but Don Corleone tells Johnny:
"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."[/QUOTE]
The studio head later wakes to find the severed head of his expensive racehorse in his bed. Unsurprisingly, Fontane is subsequently given the part."

Phrase Finder considers it the second most memorable phrase from movies, the first being Rhett Butler's famous "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." which was pretty racy for it's time.

The movie was "Cat Ballou".

Lee Marvin, drunk as a skunk, walks into the Funeral Parlor, sees the candles near the coffin Of the deceased and starts singing....

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you......"

I could not stop laughing.

Originally posted by SandD65:
The movie was "Cat Ballou".

Lee Marvin, drunk as a skunk, walks into the Funeral Parlor, sees the candles near the coffin Of the deceased and starts singing....

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you......"

I could not stop laughing.
Was it Jane Fonda who played Cat Ballou? Classic movie!

Yes it was Jane Fonda who played Cat Balloo and Lee Marvin was awesome as Kid Chelean...My favorite..
Kelly's Heroes..."No Negative Vibes, Moriarty" or take your pick from Blazing Saddles..I am stuck on "Mongo just pawn in game of life"

Go Army!!

"We're paratroopers Lieutenant; we're supposed to be surrounded."

- Damian Lewis as Captain Dick Winters in Band of Brothers

The entire monologue at the beginning of "Patton" :

I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.

Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans, traditionally, love to fight.
All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you
all admired the champion marble shooters, the fastest runners, big
league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and
will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I
wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why
Americans have never lost and will never lose a war, because the very
thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This
individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote
that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best men in the world. You know, by God
I, I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against, by God, I
do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards; we're going to cut out
their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're
going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll
chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you
will all do your duty.

The blood. Shoot them
in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment
before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there's another thing I want you to remember: I don't want to get
any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding
anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're
not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're
going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the
ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're
going to go through him like crap through a goose.

Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God
for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside
with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you: "What did you do in
the great World War II?" You won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled shit
in Louisiana."

Alright, now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh... I will be
proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.

That's all.

Since the seal on TV shows has been broken, I really enjoy Sherlock saying "I'm not a hero, I'm a high-functioning sociopath".

I'm not sure I have this exact but from W. Churchill:
"It's not good enough to always do our best, sometimes we must do what's required".

Among others I've gotten some mileage out of this quote from Cool Hand Luke:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

From GoodFellas

Tommy:[/B] You mean, let me understand this ... cuz I ... maybe its me, maybe I'm a little **** up maybe. I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to ****in' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Originally posted by BlackKnightStrong:
From GoodFellas

Tommy:[/B] You mean, let me understand this ... cuz I ... maybe its me, maybe I'm a little **** up maybe. I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to ****in' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?
Like the Godfather, there are so many classic lines in GoodFellas

In "We were soldiers once" - Hal Moore is looking over to his SGM and talking about Custer and the 7th Cav. SGM looks over to Hal Moore and says - "Sir, Custer was a Pu**y"

May West to W C Fields !
"Is that a Banana in your pocket or are you happy to see me"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT