ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers just can't get out of their own way!

DocJayy

General of the Army
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2006
With the crap they faced a couple of years ago with the head basketball coach - which was a HUGE blackeye for their athletic programs across the board, they had close to 12 de-commits from the 2014 recruiting class and are taking a beating by Penn State in recruiting New Jersey for the 2015 class.

Now this with their "inexperienced" new AD, Julie Hermann.

SAY WHAT?

I think Rutgers is in for a huge wake up call when they start their Big Ten adventure.

They have really nice facilities, in a great location when it comes to recruiting, but they really haven't been the same since Schiano left and their current coach, Flood will be gone by 2014. Actually, I'm surprised that he's still there to be honest.

Flood seems like a Peter Principle case. He was a good OL coach, but he and another guy were disasters at offensive co-coordinators in 2010 (when RU set D1 season sacks allowed record). Flood was used as "spackle" to fill the gap Schiano's leaving created at sensitive spot in recruiting period. The AD at the time (Pernetti) wasn't that high on him. He did keep the 2013 class together and shared BE title (with 4 other teams). However he mismanaged QB situation and lost credibility. RU didn't have the money to pay Flood off after any firing and they didn't have the money to get new B1G level head coach. But RU did get Ralph Friedgen an ex Maryland HC to be offensive coordinator. That's a big improvement for RU at that spot.

I'm not a Hermann fan but RU has a nasty relationship with media that I blame media for. They tried to take Schiano out over nothing and ended up getting AD fired instead (over nothing). The Mike Rice situation had its issues (that they were not ignoring) but the media used RU employee who the FBI eventually investigated for extortion. RU's main problem is weak presidents who panic under pressure and throw themselves at the feet of antagonizers. I like RU's football people but the school admins are contemptible. A good coach or AD would have to be crazy to work at Rutgers imo. Schiano wasn't too good with offense but he has brass stones and was squeaky clean (a reason media hated him). He was great at defense.

This post was edited on 4/9 8:09 AM by ashokan

Originally posted by ashokan:
Flood seems like a Peter Principle case. He was a good OL coach, but he and another guy were disasters at offensive co-coordinators in 2010 (when RU set D1 season sacks allowed record). Flood was used as "spackle" to fill the gap Schiano's leaving created at sensitive spot in recruiting period. The AD at the time (Pernetti) wasn't that high on him. He did keep the 2013 class together and shared BE title (with 4 other teams). However he mismanaged QB situation and lost credibility. RU didn't have the money to pay Flood off after any firing and they didn't have the money to get new B1G level head coach. But RU did get Ralph Friedgen an ex Maryland HC to be offensive coordinator. That's a big improvement for RU at that spot.

I'm not a Hermann fan but RU has a nasty relationship with media that I blame media for. They tried to take Schiano out over nothing and ended up getting AD fired instead (over nothing). The Mike Rice situation had its issues (that they were not ignoring) but the media used RU employee who the FBI eventually investigated for extortion. RU's main problem is weak presidents who panic under pressure and throw themselves at the feet of antagonizers. I like RU's football people but the school admins are contemptible. A good coach or AD would have to be crazy to work at Rutgers imo. Schiano wasn't too good with offense but he has brass stones and was squeaky clean (a reason media hated him). He was great at defense.

This post was edited on 4/9 8:09 AM by ashokan
I could not agree more. Schiano was a mess offensively, but that's why you have offensive coordinators. I thought that he and Rutgers was a perfect match, but also felt that he had max'ed out at RU and it was time for a change. Unfortunately for the RU folks, that turned out to be Flood, similar to what we got we Rich Ellerson came on board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT