ADVERTISEMENT

Official Army-Miami Ohio (10/20) Prediction Thread

Army is averaging 40 points against non-P5 opponents this year. Non-P5 opponents are scoring an average of 12.75 points against us.

Miami (OH) is clearly better than SJSU and Liberty but probably not as good as Hawaii or Buffalo.

I think our kids will come out pumped up for homecoming at Michie after being on the road for so long, and the trend against G5 opponents continues.

Army - 41 (Abercrombie kicks 2 FGs)
Miami (OH) - 13

Army is averaging 40 points against non-P5 opponents this year. Non-P5 opponents are scoring an average of 12.75 points against us.

Miami (OH) is clearly better than SJSU and Liberty but probably not as good as Hawaii or Buffalo.

I think our kids will come out pumped up for homecoming at Michie after being on the road for so long, and the trend against G5 opponents continues.

Army - 41 (Abercrombie kicks 2 FGs)
Miami (OH) - 13

I think we have finally found a FG and extra point kicker in Abercrombie.

Army 35
Miami (Ohio) 24

Army opened as a 11.5 point home favorite in Vegas. A skeptical betting public quickly pushed that down to eight points. The Jeff Sagarin ratings for both teams indicate Army should be an 18 point favorite at home.

This feels like the TRAP GAME on our 2018 schedule. Miami is riding a two game winning streak of 24 and 25 point victories. They run a balanced offense averaging 155 yards per game rushing and 206 yards per game passing. Miami has only surrendered 5 QB sacks in 7 games played. The Miami QB is completing 62% of his passes with 10 TDs and only 3 INTs. The Miami defense holds teams to 124 rush yards per game and has 17 sacks in their past 5 games. They hold teams to 60 yards LESS than their average yards per game of offense. Army averages 414 total yards per game now so they might keep us at 354 which would have us under or at 300 yards rushing. The Miami D is stronger than their offense.

Miami is going to try to establish the running game. They will run on first AND second down and only pass in long yardage situations. They will try to nullify Army’s time of possession advantage and keep the game close. They do not turn the ball over much.

Army will need to maximize the value of each offensive possession. It will be critical for Army to NOT start slow on offense (again).

I see this one ending more like the Hawaii game with a single digits win at home. But I hope to have my expectations exceeded.

Army 24
Miami 17

Reactions: BCSgator
Im glad this is at home. For one, will be there and looking forward to a great tailgate with leaves changing and not too cold like Duke last year and two, gives us an edge in possibly a close game. Still being conservative and happy when they exceed my expectations on their way to a 10-2 season. 27 -10 Army.

Of note, their wins are over:

Bowling Green: 1-6 Record
Akron: 2-3 Record
Kent State: 1-6 Record

Also, unlike Duke, Buffalo, Hawaii, and SJSU, I'm not sure the last time they faced a high quality triple option team.

I anticipate a competitive game. But, if we play how we have been playing, then I like our chances.

M

Army opened as a 11.5 point home favorite in Vegas. A skeptical betting public quickly pushed that down to eight points. The Jeff Sagarin ratings for both teams indicate Army should be an 18 point favorite at home.

This feels like the TRAP GAME on our 2018 schedule. Miami is riding a two game winning streak of 24 and 25 point victories. They run a balanced offense averaging 155 yards per game rushing and 206 yards per game passing. Miami has only surrendered 5 QB sacks in 7 games played. The Miami QB is completing 62% of his passes with 10 TDs and only 3 INTs. The Miami defense holds teams to 124 rush yards per game and has 17 sacks in their past 5 games. They hold teams to 60 yards LESS than their average yards per game of offense. Army averages 414 total yards per game now so they might keep us at 354 which would have us under or at 300 yards rushing. The Miami D is stronger than their offense.

Miami is going to try to establish the running game. They will run on first AND second down and only pass in long yardage situations. They will try to nullify Army’s time of possession advantage and keep the game close. They do not turn the ball over much.

Army will need to maximize the value of each offensive possession. It will be critical for Army to NOT start slow on offense (again).

I see this one ending more like the Hawaii game with a single digits win at home. But I hope to have my expectations exceeded.

Army 24
Miami 17

To me their run defense stats are irrelevant since they aren’t against triple option teams. I appreciate the caution, but I just don’t think teams’ stats against spread or pro-style offenses matter much when Army plays them because what we do is SO different.

Any word yet on Gibson? We need some sleuths, who perhaps attend practice or have an ear close to the ground (as opposed to me out here on the West Coast) to find out wassup.

Reactions: jiacono
Any word yet on Gibson? We need some sleuths, who perhaps attend practice or have an ear close to the ground (as opposed to me out here on the West Coast) to find out wassup.

Gabby had/has a concussion, but according to our sources he is okay, but I am sure an official word will be forthcoming soon.

I do know that the staff has been impressed with the play of Cam Jones, who filled in for Gibson when he down. If Gibby is out for Saturday, the question really becomes, who will back up Jones?

I predicted San Jose State to score 9 points and nearly typed that our defense could blank them. I didn’t so I get no credit.if I wanted to go out on a limb a bit I would say that Miami will be held to single digits it’s very possible if we control the ball like we have all season except for Duke.

Gabby had/has a concussion, but according to our sources he is okay, but I am sure an official word will be forthcoming soon.

I do know that the staff has been impressed with the play of Cam Jones, who filled in for Gibson when he down. If Gibby is out for Saturday, the question really becomes, who will back up Jones?
Once again, Charles: Thank you! I believe you are a sleuth and that you go to practice!

After watching the Miami head coach talk about this game I revise my prediction to Army 31, Miami 17. Start viewing at the fourth minute when they begin talking about the Army game.

Key information: Both Miami starting safeties are questionable for Saturday. That has to hurt when you must defend the triple option. Gibby is likely also questionable but I have strong faith in what I saw from Cam Jones.

Bonus clip:

I think Miami (OH) is a good football team...well coached with a very good offensive line...play makers @ running back (#3-Young is tough; #16 shifty & fast)...athletic defense with speed at DL & LBs)...experienced QB who makes good decisions, takes care of the FB, & is accurate...

This game will be close...I think they will try to beat us at our own game...they will try to pound us with the run behind that OL & try to possess the ball to keep our Offense off the field...

To win I think we’ll need the FBs & Hopkins to grind out the inside running game, play great special teams-maybe get a score (ala Duke from last year), NO turnovers, & the defense will need to make them turn it over & possibly make a big stop at the end (Eastern Michigan ‘17 or Hawaii this year)...

For us we’ll need toughness, poise, great effort, & don’t “flinch”...

Army 21
Miami 19

Reactions: johngriffis7
I like that guy. Hearing him talk about defending the option was hilarious.

Reactions: mjander01
We've played some outstanding games this year - anyone else get the feeling our best is yet to come? I'll be the first to give Miami of O credit if they keep this game within 17 points, particularly since they haven't had to defend the option in quite sometime. But I just don't see it; we're not Akron or Kent State.

We're back within the friendly confines of Michie after a successful month on the road - the hometown crowd will be up for this one; so will our Army Team.

Army 42
Miami of O 17

Dp4t71ZX4AETBWw.jpg

Reactions: NJFAN
31-14. We have one of our best D’s in many years. I predict no one left on our schedule will score 21 points

Reactions: jiacono
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT