ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Cuban: NFL is 10 years from implosion

DocJayy

General of the Army
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2006
I do believe that the networks are dictating to the NFL or should I say to their pockets. Very much like baseball that has been saturated with being on TV so much that no one even goes to the ballparks as much and if they do, they are the older generation for the most part. I can't even recall the last time I went to a baseball game live.

Mark Cuban

My first thought is that it's pretty cheeky for an NBA owner to call out another sport over loss of control. The inmates have been running the NBA asylum for at least a couple decades now.

I do think that Thursday night football is a dubious product. Cutting the prep time in half doesn't make for a great game plan.

From this fan's perspective (2014 will be my 18th year with Denver Broncos season tickets), I think that one of the virtues of NFL from an attendance standpoint is that the vast majority of games are on weekends. Adjusting my work schedule to attend Monday/Thursday games can be a challenge. Also, since ticket holders are billed for tickets before the schedule is announced, I have no idea whether my schedule can support attendance until I've already bought the tickets.

Cuban may well be right that the NFL will implode but I doubt that Tuesday night football will be its downfall.

I've already experienced football fatigue having merged college and pro games. I only watched NFL up to about 2002. With college ball I see games Thursday-Monday. With ESPN3 I see 2 or three games on Saturday and can see more from archive.

Football is popular because games are an "event". As they get more commonplace they lose luster. Last season I didn't even start watching NFL until December. I didn't even miss it. I'm also sick of 4 weeks of pink cancer socks, lunatic fantasy footballers, phony "bullying" scandals, PC girly refs, barring ads from Border Patrol, phony concussion scandals, celebrating disorientations, stadium PSL's, silly rules that make refs subjectively determine games etc. NFL is turning into a mutation under Goodell. Once lawyers and MBA's choked out the football people at the top you could see what was coming. The time is right for another league to make noise. The USFL was actually a good league until Trump got greedy and made a move to the fall. Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 about that.

This post was edited on 3/26 12:09 AM by ashokan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT