ADVERTISEMENT

It's good to sing second - Army Lacrosse

Army Monster

First Captain
Dec 28, 2006
Ranked #18 coming into this game, Army doubles Navy, 14-7, at West Point.
Army wins a 6th consecutive LAX game over Navy.

Good job, boys.

I only caught the last half, but Army looked pretty dominant despite missing their starting goalie.

We may have a chance to make the NCAAs despite having #1 Loyola in the league.

As long as we "hold serve" and make it at least as far as PL tournament final, we will be in the NCAA tournament. If we don't make the PL tournament final, then things are less definite.

Army was a longer than Navy. They run smooth and eat up turf. They have some power. Navy look small and jerked around a lot. If a Navy guy ran ten yards with the ball he made three jukes that were meaningless. Navy's motto could have been "look busy". The crowd was good sized - bigger than when I saw Army v Navy play for Patriot League title. Maybe all the local teams invited made the difference.

I think we are going to have to win the AQ to make it to the tournament. Our SOS is really low having played VMI and Furman, and the bottom three PL teams have hurt everyone's SOS. I think our RPI which is the big thing used to pick the at large teams is in the high 20's which isn't going to get us in.

Hopefully Notre Dame has a good run in the ACC tournament, then if we could take them down in out last game we would have an outside shot at an at large bid.

I tend to agree that the outcome of the Notre Dame game could have a significant influence on our selection potential.

Army is currently ranked 16th in the two national polls, and 18 teams are selected; so it would seem that they have a reasonable chance of making it if they go the the PL championship game and have a good game against Loyola. There are ten conferences in lacrosse, and the champion of each gets an AQ bid. That leaves 8 teams that will be selected at large from those 10 conferences (along with the one independent, Johns Hopkins which is almost certain to get a bid).

I haven't paid much attention to how teams get selected, but if the selection committee tends to spread out bids across conferences, I think our chances are reasonably good if we come in second in the PL. Of the top 18 ranked teams, 6 are from the ACC and 5 are from the Ivy League; so if there's some pressure to include more teams from other conferences, Army's chances improve. If we beat Notre Dame, it seems like it would be hard for the selection committee to pick them and not us.

And while we have a few bottom feeders in the PL conference, we also have four teams that have ranked in the top 20 at one time or another this season; so it's one of the more respectable conferences. At this point in time, I'd rate the PL as the third toughest conference. That will change next year when the Big Ten adds lacrosse as a conference sport with Md, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, and Penn State in the mix. Ohio State and Michigan are still neophyte lacrosse programs, but that could change quickly.

Unfortunately the NCAA selection committee pretty much lives and dies by their RPI calculations, and right now we are on the outside looking in unless we take the Patriot League AQ, and unlike in recent years I think the PL is a one bid league unless Loyola gets tripped up in the tournament. I just checked and we are #32 according to the NCAA criteria.

Hopkins is going to get an at-large because they are in their last year of being and independent, and I would bet that every ACC team makes the tournament. So that is six of your at-large bids right there. I agree that if we beat Colgate on Friday, make it to the PL finals and if we happen to lose to Loyola and it is another nail biter, and then can beat Notre Dame then that is a pretty compelling case, but give the overall soft schedule, I am not sure if one quality win would be enough, and Notre Dame needs to finish strong for it to even be a quality win.

I think that there is a good chance that Army will get an at-large bid even if we come in second. Nationally ranked team from a team with lots of heritage.....
BTW, the Patriotic League has made major strides in the national rankings. Adding Loyola helps the entire league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT