ADVERTISEMENT

Hungry

Bulletproof09

Supe
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2013
I thought I would never see this day with this team. As HC spoke on in one of his most recent videos "HUNGRY" that's what I saw today coming from these players. Seeing them engaged, with a passion and a mission. The staff was even more exciting out there. Yes it was a few missed assignments, here and there. But the energy from the players putting into one another to correct the mistakes, been a long time coming. Seeing leadership engaging more with the younger guys was great. Also let me speak about the conditioning staff, working with the guys who had the red shirts on.. I never seen these guys ever do before. They was on the sidelines working out the parts of their bodies that wasn't hurt. No more just standing around looking. Man I was gased up at every section of that field today as to what was taking place... If they don't win more games this season my name ain't bulletproof
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 8/17 2:52 AM by Bulletproof09

Thanks for the enthusiastic rundown, B09. The practice reports have been very encouraging. I can't wait to see how we look once the actual season starts.

Yes WP76, I thought it's only fair that you guys hear it from a poster point of view, hahahaha plus it was a barbecue afterwards where we got to talk and meet (all) the players close up and personal. It was great. I got to talk to a lot of them, Aj was nice, Dixon, Angel, Maples, TT, Bacon, White, Frazer, Monken, etc etc. A really different atmosphere, very positive.

There were many good things and some things to still be concerned about. I can see why Monken says there is still a lot to do, its not just coach speak. There were some good runs, including a beautiful end around, some work from the shot gun, the defense definitely tackled much better, decent kicking game, there was a lot of enthusiasm, no obvious injuries incurred, and coaches got in people's faces. There were fumbled snaps, several motion/procedure penalties by the line and the backs (on two occasions there were back to back motion penalties), and nothing much in the return games. Santiago, playing in a red jersey did not run the second option and only passed once or twice, so the first team did not run/practice the full offense, AJ only held for FGs and PATs and he did not even throw in pre- scrimmage drills, the second and third team offenses were run by Bradshaw and Brown but they were a bit better than I would have expected. Given the missteps of the first team offense (who have been beaten by the defense most days) with many players still to integrate from a timing standpoint (Maples, AJ, Fraser, and Santiago really, etc) I am a bit concerned there, since the offense still needs to be the strength of the team.

Those would be my uneducated observations on the scrimmage, I did leave a little early but saw most of it. BTW, virtually no cadets in attendance watching the scrimmage which was disappointing to me (last weekend before school and "A" day activities I guess)

Good report, Snoopy.

Sounds a lot like what I've been reading about the scrimmage. I think the defense has solidified considerably more than the offense at this point. Shades of 2010 perhaps. The motion penalties and dropped balls certainly raise some concerns.

Originally posted by snoopy72:
There were many good things and some things to still be concerned about. I can see why Monken says there is still a lot to do, its not just coach speak. There were some good runs, including a beautiful end around, some work from the shot gun, the defense definitely tackled much better, decent kicking game, there was a lot of enthusiasm, no obvious injuries incurred, and coaches got in people's faces. There were fumbled snaps, several motion/procedure penalties by the line and the backs (on two occasions there were back to back motion penalties), and nothing much in the return games. Santiago, playing in a red jersey did not run the second option and only passed once or twice, so the first team did not run/practice the full offense, AJ only held for FGs and PATs and he did not even throw in pre- scrimmage drills, the second and third team offenses were run by Bradshaw and Brown but they were a bit better than I would have expected. Given the missteps of the first team offense (who have been beaten by the defense most days) with many players still to integrate from a timing standpoint (Maples, AJ, Fraser, and Santiago really, etc) I am a bit concerned there, since the offense still needs to be the strength of the team.

Those would be my uneducated observations on the scrimmage, I did leave a little early but saw most of it. BTW, virtually no cadets in attendance watching the scrimmage which was disappointing to me (last weekend before school and "A" day activities I guess)
Very well said Snoopy! Even with the mishaps, I was still pleased with the team effort in learning what new things they needed to learn. This coach is by far more disciplined and precise about how he wants it done... yes the coaches was in your face the whole time, I laughed at a few things they was saying out there. But that's football and what should be taken place... However we can use that 3 weeks we got left and hopefully we can get most of our injury list back before then...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 8/22 6:51 PM by Bulletproof09

I said this when we hired ellerson: if we can't win with this guy, we can't win. Then I had a player on the team (a starter) tell me in year 1 that the guy was insane and told me some of the stuff he was doing at practices and in the locker room. So I immediately knew this guy wasn't going to win, which I said for his last few years on the job. So, while I was wrong about my statement due to my lack of knowledge regarding ellerson's state of mind, I was wrong......but I am giving myself one more chance.

which lets me do this one more time.

If we can't win with Monken, we can't win. I think its going to take 3 years to make a bowl game. But I think we'll beat Navy within 2 years, air force this year, and win 6 games next year.

I've said for more than 10 years that army needed to (a) adjust the military schedule to accomodate football and (b) adjust the academic schedule to accomodate football. Both of those things are being done. Honestly, just those 2 changes alone should make a 3-4 game difference in the win colum. I really believe that.

So color me rosy optimistic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT