ADVERTISEMENT

Help ... I need your recommendations

Bobol

Recruit
Oct 27, 2001
I will be making my first trip to Michie Stadium for the Army vs. Air Force football game.

My questions are:

1. how/ where should I park. The websites have expensive parking passes ($100+/-). Should I cough up the cash for the parking pass, or are there less expensive ways to park on campus and shuttle to Michie Stadium?

2. Is it possible to walk around and explore West Point before or after the football game? Is there any place in particular I should be sure to seen?

3. Is there any place to eat on campus?

4. Any advice for my visit.

Thanks.

Yes there are multiple general admission parking lots that are about $20 each there's one at Buffalo field by the main entrance gate in Highland falls, 1 down by the river and 1 up by the lonesome gate near the PX. Shuttle buses on 3 main colored routes take you around West Point. They do take a bit of time as traffic is a problem. I believe if you go to the army Athletics website you can pre purchase a general admission Parking ticket. You can come early or stay late. Traffic is a bear so leave very early. Without a doubt you need to go to Trophy Point and to the Plain for the views and monuments. Another spot to visit is the old Fort adjacent to the Michie stadium. It is only open on football days . As far as eating I know of a Subway. There is very little on campus for eating and I strongly suggest you bring food and/or tailgate, there is of course food at the stadium. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jiacono
Another thing during halftime Air Force and Army do a drum line battle which is great watch. There are videos on YouTube. Usually before game but sometimes at halftime there are parachute jump competitions.

Since it is a military post, all in car need to show ID. The car or truck may be searched.

Also take in the parade down on the plain before the game. Get there about 9. My class is actually having our 25th reunion that weekend so I'll be in the alumni review (lucky me :)). Also check out the cadet chapel. Really cool and historic with a huge organ.

As @Rutgers83 mentioned because it is a military post, everything takes longer than it should so allot yourself plenty of time and definitely tailgating is your best bet for food, although downtown Highland Falls (by BS field parking lot) has some pretty good spots.

Reactions: Rutgers83
I am really looking forward to attending this game.

Over the past several years I have become a big Army football fan. I am not sure any team plays harder and more focused than Army football.

You guys should be proud of West Point and it’s traditions.

I am really looking forward to attending this game.

Over the past several years I have become a big Army football fan. I am not sure any team plays harder and more focused than Army football.

You guys should be proud of West Point and it’s traditions.

Thanks @Bobol . I couldn't agree more. The level of effort you get from Army kids (especially under Monken) is truly second to none. I have said this before but I know a number of HS coaches who show their teams the Army-Navy game as an example of what perfect effort looks like.
The tackle Voit made on Perry last year and X Moss having an INT and forcing a fumble on a torn ACL in 2016 are great examples.
I think you'll have a blast at your first Army home game.

I

1. how/ where should I park. The websites have expensive parking passes ($100+/-). Should I cough up the cash for the parking pass, or are there less expensive ways to park on campus and shuttle to Michie Stadium?

If you can walk, then you can park free in the municipal lot in town (Highland Falls). The walk to the stadium isn't much further than you get in some lots on post. The walk is about a mile and there is a slight hill. It takes me around 20 minutes. You avoid the car search thing (but you still need photo ID at gate) and you avoid the traffic stalls. The museum and visitor center are right across the street from the lot.

Food at West Point is pretty bad and I would eat before passing through any gate.

If you can walk, then you can park free in the municipal lot in town (Highland Falls). The walk to the stadium isn't much further than you get in some lots on post. The walk is about a mile and there is a slight hill. It takes me around 20 minutes. You avoid the car search thing (but you still need photo ID at gate) and you avoid the traffic stalls. The museum and visitor center are right across the street from the lot.

Food at West Point is pretty bad and I would eat before passing through any gate.
Same food the troops eat. If it is good enough for the Troops it is good enough for me! You want to watch a football game or you want to eat. Why don't you just keep your fat ass home so you can eat everything in the fridge.

Same food the troops eat. If it is good enough for the Troops it is good enough for me! You want to watch a football game or you want to eat. Why don't you just keep your fat ass home so you can eat everything in the fridge.

Take it easy Francis :). You wonder why we draw 25K at a home game instead of the 35K the quality of our team would typically draw.

I appreciate a man with a bold attitude, but I hope you work for Aramark and didn't join the forum just to charge up hill defending the food at Army games lol.

I did not follow football at the Service Academies until I watched the 2016 Army- Navy football game when I discovered the special culture which Army football enjoys. Since that 2016 game I have become a big fan of Army football.

I am traveling to West Point for the first time this weekend to watch Army defeat Air Force.

The purpose of this post is to inquire what time you would suggest a first time visitor to West Point arrive for a 12 pm kickoff ? For example there is pregame pageantry at Penn State games that lead me to get to the stadium 2+/- hours before kickoff to watch the marching band, etc. Are there any pre game events at West Point ? Are there shops and restaurants for game goers to visit pre or post game? Any suggestions?

Finally a poster above in this thread noted that I may wish to park in the municipal lots in Highland Falls. Do the municipal lost fill quickly?

Thanks.

Reactions: Mack 270

It appears that this is your first post on this message board and you respond to someone who is obviously interested in enjoying a COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME at West Point and that should not be equated to being deployed to Iraq. Stop the nonsense please!

Hi Bobol,

I will be there as well. Renting a house in Highland Falls. Big weekend, I would suggest you get there 7:30 to 8. Lines can get long at security and parking lots, then you need to take a bus to Plain and another to stadium. As Jiacono said, you should catch the parade at Plain at 9:00. Parachute jump may follow parade. From there you must see the Great Chain. I read a whole book regarding. It was a technological marvel at time and kept British from owning the Hudson and splitting the colonies. It is the reason West Point exists. Civil war monument is few 100 feet away. You will not be dissapointed.

I did not follow football at the Service Academies until I watched the 2016 Army- Navy football game when I discovered the special culture which Army football enjoys. Since that 2016 game I have become a big fan of Army football.

I am traveling to West Point for the first time this weekend to watch Army defeat Air Force.

The purpose of this post is to inquire what time you would suggest a first time visitor to West Point arrive for a 12 pm kickoff ? For example there is pregame pageantry at Penn State games that lead me to get to the stadium 2+/- hours before kickoff to watch the marching band, etc. Are there any pre game events at West Point ? Are there shops and restaurants for game goers to visit pre or post game? Any suggestions?

Finally a poster above in this thread noted that I may wish to park in the municipal lots in Highland Falls. Do the municipal lost fill quickly?

Thanks.

I've never seen the lots fill-up but I usually arrive 60-90 minutes before kickoff. The West Point museum is across the street but I dont now what time it opens. There's a good 20 minute walk up a mild hill so be sure everyone can walk it. There's a McDonald's down the street open early. Then you have the pizzerias, delis and pubs. Nothing too highfalutin about Highland Falls. The motels on the way in look like something from a Hitchcock movie lol. Once at the stadium there are outdoor beer/food concessions (by reservoir) that gets a lot of people. There are bands, gymnasts doing stunts and such. Of course its always nice to visit Trophy Point and see one of best vistas in the NE. The cemetery is very engaging as well.

I'd get settled-in around 8AM. The last time AF played at Michie the local AF base sent one of their huge transports over the parade grounds early. Seeing that thing bank around at low altitude was worth the cost right there. If you wait too long (before a big game) the road leading into Highland Falls can be bumper to bumper for a mile or more. Stony Lonesome Gate up on top of the hill is usually less crowded than the main Thayer Gate

I'm not a parade guy but lots of people like those. An in-law has a huge tailgate that day starting around 6 AM so I'm always up in the lots with the pig roasts and bag pipes.

Reactions: USMA74 and Mack 270
Thanks to the individuals who replied to my post in this thread and provided useful advice for my first trip to West Point.

I had a great time at today’s game.

West Point is a great venu to watch a game with its history and gritty style of play. I expect that I will be back for one or more games next season.

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT