ADVERTISEMENT

The Inside Stuff GBK's Monday Morning Quarterback Analysis: Army-Michigan

After the performance vs Rice, I wasn't expecting too much (even though I know Michigan is usually overrated in polls at the start of every year). Vs Michigan, the defense was a pleasant surprise (Michigan flubs did help Army). On offense, you can see the (expected) drop-off from last year. The backfield isn't very potent but was serviceable. The concern is at QB. Hopkins has gone backwards imo. He's slower and his passing is poor. I know he bulked-up, but lifting too much can affect passing. There shouldn't be too much of that in season. Last year, Hopkins was the best Army passer I had seen in ages (Monken said same thing). I used to look forward to his throws. Now I hold my breath. Maybe he's hurting somewhere.

Reactions: sixbrad
After the performance vs Rice, I wasn't expecting too much (even though I know Michigan is usually overrated in polls at the start of every year). Vs Michigan, the defense was a pleasant surprise (Michigan flubs did help Army). On offense, you can see the (expected) drop-off from last year. The backfield isn't very potent but was serviceable. The concern is at QB. Hopkins has gone backwards imo. He's slower and his passing is poor. I know he bulked-up, but lifting too much can affect passing. There shouldn't be too much of that in season. Last year, Hopkins was the best Army passer I had seen in ages (Monken said same thing). I used to look forward to his throws. Now I hold my breath. Maybe he's hurting somewhere.

You post here a lot, but you might want to look at this because honestly that is where the chatting really takes off - Why The 12th Knight Premium Message Board?

You post here a lot, but you might want to look at this because honestly that is where the chatting really takes off - Why The 12th Knight Premium Message Board?

Thanks - I'm sure the 12th is a good forum. For me, I like to avoid all the recruiting and inside stuff. A wise man once told me "If you like something dont get to close to it." I don't like to follow camps either. Recruiting and camps = false hopes lol

#Playing calling has a lot to do with Hopkins being effective as a passer, IMO

Sure but the actual passes look "meh," Hopkins has a great arm - and hes a nimble runner and pitchman. He looks sluggish to me, and an announcer on CBS commented on it too. Plays can look slow. Hopkins was bowing backwards into backfield. I used to play LB in college and still have a "clock" when the ball is snapped. You can get a lot of time to read Army - but that was not as bad with Michigan game although I still saw some rough edges.But its early. Army lost to Duke last year and pulled together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT