ADVERTISEMENT

GBK Question of the Day: Who are the Top 5 FBS programs presently in the Northeast?

A.M. Allan

General of the Army
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
Between the following programs, who are the Top 5 FBS programs presently in the Northeast?
  • Army
  • Boston College
  • Penn State
  • Pittsburgh
  • Rutgers
  • Syracuse
  • UConn
rfhfrkoyf29qetrf7cqy

Army

Selects-17-of-23-678x381.jpg

Boston College

zgnzzcmefrgs68sn5lhw

Penn State

jmw0bpv1flzuedym576c

Pittsburgh

ng1i427lyfhxwjtewfpm

Rutgers

Syracuse

2017_8_31HolyCrossCrusadersUConnHuskiesFootball055.0.jpg

UConn

1) Penn State
2) BC
3) Syracuse
4) Army
5) Pitt

Personally, I would love to get Rutgers back on our schedule with a home-home series. Great fans and it would be a great regional rivalry.
I’d love this. It was the Rutgers vs Army game in 2015 that made me fall in love with Michie Stadium so I make it a point to get to at least one game a year now.

Reactions: akaTheRifleman
Posting from the RU board, but my uncle was West Point (when the AFA was still there) '54 and we split season tickets for 50 years. RUs stadium is good, but Michie, particularly in October, is in a league of it's own.

Anyway for 2018:

Penn State
BC
Army
Pitt
Syracuse

For the time frame 2008-2018:

Penn State
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
BC

Rutgers has been in a rut for the past few years and I really enjoyed them when Greg Schiano was their head coach.

Rutgers has an administrative disconnect with football. They act like they want to be big time - and then they act like they are embarrassed about it. They went cheap on a coach (Flood) and he had things fall apart. RU got a new AD who is very good but he is a basketball guy. He needed a coach quickly and fell for the "coordinator of a championship football team" thing. He got a stoic guy from Iowa who cant recruit NJ players and cant develop an offense (he was a DC). Now recruiting will be even worse. RU admins wont readily spend any money on an upgrade.

As for top programs in the East, I see BC, SU and UConn for what they are - basketball schools. They want to win but not too much compared to football. SU could be 10-0 and the dome will still have empty seats. SU/BC/UCOnn recruiting is tepid. SU football is almost invisible downstate and BC is in recruiting Siberia.. PSU is legit football school with top everything (but its also a cult). RU is a horrible team with nice facilities in a recruit rich environment. The admins like the B1G money but they would rather be Princeton.

USMA is a football school all things considered. The tradition and all that is in place. It was just hard to win for 20 years thanks to Rick Greenspan sending the program on an epic, Odysseus wander. Now Monken, Boo and good admin support have Army back to relevance (who remembers all the talk about Army not belonging in D1?). All that's needed now is to fix-up Michie because its a dump tbh. You need Harry Potter to find a water fountain - and your seat since the markings are worn off. Bathrooms are better than porta potties but you still feel like your in some dank old WPA built campground somewhere. Glad improvements are on the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT