ADVERTISEMENT

GBK: POST SPRING GAME INTERVIEWS

A.M. Allan

General of the Army
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
Army is fresh off their Black & Gold Spring game, as they begin to prepare for their upcoming summer session.

10291768_629178193843758_7473150430745497303_n.jpg

Click link below for post game interviews including DC, Jay Bateman; WR, Kelvin White; RB, Terry Baggett and several other players, commits, prepsters and prospects.

GBK: POST SPRING GAME INTERVIEWS (Premium)

Some good inside skinny, especially the interview with Baggett. I liked the fact that Charles asked all the players about their height and weight, which has been a topic of interest for a few years now.

Originally posted by goodknight65:
Some good inside skinny, especially the interview with Baggett. I liked the fact that Charles asked all the players about their height and weight, which has been a topic of interest for a few years now.
I agree and the Baggett interview was insightful as was the one with DC, Jay Bateman.

Matt "G" was also good to hear.

Would be neat to understand the changes to summer schedules. Couple of comments in this interview and in others that schedules have been adjusted in order to keep football team at WP. Not sure how every player could spend all three months at WP. But, they definitely could get the individual stuff done early and have them all there for later in the summer before camp. Potentially could have two months together on post and at Buckner. Believe Coach Monken said that (except for specific black out weeks) coaches could meet with players two hours each week during the summer. That was new info for me.

Here's a photo of Dixon and Schurr - both listed as 6' tall (with Dixon at 238 and Schurr at 185). I'm exactly 6' and was looking down at a lot of guys who were supposed to be as tall as me. One guy had to be shortest D1 player I ever saw. Mike Ugenyi looked the most like a D1 lineman to me.

This post was edited on 4/24 12:04 AM by ashokan

Dixon

Using Charles as the common yardstick, the heights stated by each of the interviewees seemed fairly consistent at least. McLean and Carlone stood about 5-6 inches taller than Charles and Saum was right there with them. Comparatively speaking, Baggett and Giachinta looked like their reported 6-1 with Bradshaw the runt of the litter at 5-11 looked close to the same size as Charles.

Dixon may not be tall, but the size of those thighs is impressive. Schurr looked like he had some sturdy pins as well.

Originally posted by ashokan:
Here's a photo of Dixon and Schurr - both listed as 6' tall (with Dixon at 238 and Schurr at 185). I'm exactly 6' and was looking down at a lot of guys who were supposed to be as tall as me. One guy had to be shortest D1 player I ever saw. Mike Ugenyi looked the most like a D1 lineman to me.

This post was edited on 4/24 12:04 AM by ashokan
In most cases, I'm less concern with height versus the weight factor. I will take a 6'0" Josh McNary over a 6'3" somebody else who has the measurements, but not the skill. Yes, I would like both, but again, too much emphasis is place on the factors that don't always equate to being a damn good ball player.

I look at size mainly as a durability factor. Naturally larger players (vs the 5' 11" guy who puts on 25 lbs in weight room) last better over a season. Even McNary had injury issues despite being a good athlete.

I look at size mainly as a durability factor. Naturally larger players (vs the 5' 11" guy who puts on 25 lbs in weight room) last better over a season. Even McNary had injury issues despite being a good athlete.
It's football, EVERYONE has injury "issues".

Some more than others. Army has a history of not holding up physically - a reason for leaving CUSA. Stanford is at the other end of the spectrum with low injury rate. Their lineman are huge but leanish - nobody looks like Porky Pig with a McGut trying to split a jersey.

Some more than others. Army has a history of not holding up physically - a reason for leaving CUSA. Stanford is at the other end of the spectrum with low injury rate. Their lineman are huge but leanish - nobody looks like Porky Pig with a McGut trying to split a jersey.
I think the previous post by a few others are suggesting that height versus weight have little to nothing to do with injuries and I agree.

Depends on position. A short running back can be at an advantage because the lower he can run the easier to duck the hits. A LB or DE on the other hand needs longer arms to repel blockers. A guard with hamster arms will make out better than a DE or LB with hamster arms. I don't know how many guys here actually played college football but the punishment is a lot greater. That's why colleges and NFL have reduced contact a lot. The undersized interior defenders are often the ones breaking down the fastest over a season. If your 6'4" 305 and another 6'4" 305lb guy falls on you its not as bad as being on receiving end while at 6'0" 215". Taking on and shedding blockers has a lot to do with it.

Of course a lot of injuries come from piles where guys are falling on you - often your own players. If a guy is taller he often has bigger bones, more leverage etc (indeed he might even be weaker in weight room than the stumpy guys but will often have greater leverage). I had a friend who played DE at Penn St. He was 6'4" 250 but could only bench about 200lbs - a joke for his size. I couldn't figure how he could play so well. Then I saw him handling full kegs at a bar he worked in. He would pick them up and stack them like they were empty. I was 6'0" and 215 benching 325 and really struggled with one. Then I realized how much thicker his wrists were and how much bigger and longer his hands and arms were. Weight room strength is overrated. Studies show it doesn't increase size or explosion. Taking a small player and bulking him up like a bowling ball in the gym is no substitute for natural size/frame. Sometimes even the muscle development imbalances lead to injuries. Too much weight and power in front of body increases chance of knee injuries

This post was edited on 4/24 5:20 PM by ashokan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT