ADVERTISEMENT

GBK: Official Army-Kent State Game Day Thread

A.M. Allan

General of the Army
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
As previously mentioned, we will not have our weekly LIVE Blog/Chat up for this game.

So we welcome everyone to join in here on this thread, as the Army Black Knights, who are 2-4 on the season take their game on the road to face off against Kent State.

Although the kick off is at 3:30pm EST, you can feel free to jump at anytime before to get the flow going.

Please note that there is a similar thread on The 12th Knight Message Board.

1912363_10152871604561995_1499032115797854414_n.jpg
Army vs. Kent State: Pre-game warm-ups

Glad we scored, but once again, penalties and mistakes continue to haunt us.

Losing Bacon is showing in our secondary. Young guys like Zach Trainor and even Steven Johnson still have a way to go.

Tough 2 yard TD run by Maples.

Nice drive and nice 25 yard plus run by Angel.

The holding penalty in our first drive was on Mike Houghton, who was starting his first game for Army at RT. I don't understand the logic of starting him ahead of McDonald, who came in on our second possession. They also took Dixon and Giovanelli out as we got inside the 10 and replaced them with Kemper and Walker.

Originally posted by goodknight65:
The holding penalty in our first drive was on Mike Houghton, who was starting his first game for Army at RT. I don't understand the logic of starting him ahead of McDonald, who came in on our second possession. They also took Dixon and Giovanelli out as we got inside the 10 and replaced them with Kemper and Walker.
Makes little sense to me either. And we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with mistakes, especially the untimely mistakes.

TD Tony and that play has been there for the past 4 weeks and great block by Terry Baggett.

This post was edited on 10/18 5:34 PM by BlackKnightStrong

The 3-man pass rush hasn't worked all year long. Come on Bateman, make the damn call please.

Very disappointing! One thing I know for sure, we won't lose next weekend.

This post was edited on 10/18 6:01 PM by ArmyMadDog

Originally posted by Armyrusher22:

Originally posted by Armyranger26:
"THE MIDDLE IS NOT OPEN, GET THE BALL ON THE OUTSIDE WITH THE PITCH"
Unbelievable play calling
Personally speaking, I was more impressed with the Shields playing calling and triple option than I am of Brent Davis.

I can't blame plays. Army just has few good football athletes. Army QBs are dull as dishwater. Maybe less weights in winter and more basketball or something. Kent St is a horrible team and they just whacked Army. No play calling can fix that.
This post was edited on 10/18 7:03 PM by ashokan

Originally posted by ashokan:

I can't blame plays. Army just has few good football athletes. Army QBs are dull as dishwater. Maybe less weights in winter and more basketball or something. Kent St is a horrible team and they just whacked Army. No play calling can fix that.
This post was edited on 10/18 7:03 PM by ashokan
I am just curious. Are you an Army football fan?

Hope is not lost! We can still win four in a row to become bowl eligible before we even play Navy and we can and should still sweep the Commander in Chief Trophy!

I'm being sarcastic btw. Our streak of being the worst program in the country continues yet another year. We have little to no hope of winning any game left on the schedule. Our players are simply not Div 1 caliber athletes. Monken and staff are well aware of this and will bring in better talent. Will they turn it around ever? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me with Todd Berry, Stan Brock, John Mumford, Bobby Ross, Stan Brock, and Rich Ellerson, and continue to fool me with a sham of a product, shame on me.

"I am just curious. Are you an Army football fan?"

Been going to games since the 60's. Watch a lot of college ball. Army's main problem is that it does't have many DI quality players. Aside from a year (2010) with some good D1 players, Army is getting towards 2 decades of 2-3 win seasons. Army hasn't won an away game in 4 years. Last year Army provided an awful Hawaii team its only win. This year its Kent St. The unvarnsihed truth is Army is a bad team because it has a lot of not very good players. Bill Parcells, Lombardi and Tom Landry couldn't win with most Army teams. A fair number of Army players don't belong on a D1 team. Many wouldn't be too great on a DIII team. That doesn't mean I don't think Army is a D1 program because it is. Its just a very bad one. Monken or any coach needs better players. Its really that simple after all the years of flop seasons.

Been going to games since the 60's. Watch a lot of college ball. Army's main problem is that it does't have many DI quality players. Aside from a year (2010) with some good D1 players, Army is getting towards 2 decades of 2-3 win seasons. Army hasn't won an away game in 4 years. Last year Army provided an awful Hawaii team its only win. This year its Kent St. The unvarnsihed truth is Army is a bad team because it has a lot of not very good players. Bill Parcells, Lombardi and Tom Landry couldn't win with most Army teams. A fair number of Army players don't belong on a D1 team. Many wouldn't be too great on a DIII team. That doesn't mean I don't think Army is a D1 program because it is. Its just a very bad one. Monken or any coach needs better players. Its really that simple after all the years of flop seasons.
Monken keeps changing the lineup looking for talent, but it seems to me we're getting worse rather than better. I at least expected to see some progress, but I didn't see it in this game at all. If anything, we seem to be regressing.

Monken keeps changing the lineup looking for talent, but it seems to me we're getting worse rather than better. I at least expected to see some progress, but I didn't see it in this game at all. If anything, we seem to be regressing.
So that's what his doing looking for talent and not playing the ones he knows has talent.... Wow! That's football for you. But like you said it's not working, why let good talent go down the drain, looking for something that's not there (yet)... why have us out there looking like we have no good players at all, it's embarrassing!

"Monken keeps changing the lineup looking for talent, but it seems to me we're getting worse rather than better. I at least expected to see some progress, but I didn't see it in this game at all. If anything, we seem to be regressing. "

I see Monken's interviews running off the field. Without even seeing the film (it can be hard seeing from sidelines) he knows exactly what's going wrong in games. He's not a bad coach. Army's problem isn't just talent but guys who don't really even try to play hard. I see lame, half assed missed tackles that half-decent high school players make every week. I see balls hit guys in the hands and get dropped. I see players blowing assignments because they just don't care enough to have their head in the games. There are good teams with sketchy player ability, their are bad teams with gifted players. Army is a bad team with limited ability. If more guys played with their hearts and heads in the game and they still lost that would be ok. That's not what I see in general even though some guys play hard.

I mean we are only talking about football here. Being a good or bad football player is on periphery of life. Its not a slight to say this is a bad sport team without a lot of talent. I'm tired of pretending Army is a good team just wating for the right coach to turn the magic key. Maybe players will focus more if people are honest about what they seeing. Monken is probably a much better recruiter than Coach E. Army's coaches at least are fired up and energetic on sidelines. That's new imo. So I'll hope Army gets better players in future because thats the real problem. Every year the worst D1 athletes I see are on Army. If it wasn't for Army's desperation they wouldn't even be in D1.
This post was edited on 10/18 11:41 PM by ashokan

Awesome!

But I just find it unusual that someone that has been a fan that long or just one in general would identify with the team as ARMY versus WE. Just saying, but obviously no big deal.

The constant changing of the line-up makes no sense. Monken has been quoted as saying that practice will determine who plays. Had anyone heard of Ryan England prior to Saturday's game? So from winter S&C, spring and summer practice no England. Then all of a sudden he is starting in place of Steven Johnson?

By the way, we miss Bacon back there.

Originally posted by BetterThanNavy:

The constant changing of the line-up makes no sense. Monken has been quoted as saying that practice will determine who plays. Had anyone heard of Ryan England prior to Saturday's game? So from winter S&C, spring and summer practice no England. Then all of a sudden he is starting in place of Steven Johnson?

By the way, we miss Bacon back there.
Agree that we miss Bacon back there, despite all the criticism leveled at him when he was in there.

Ryhan England is a direct report unrated recruit out of Suwannee, GA; so he wouldn't have been around for spring practice, but was brought in as a running back in pre-season and recently switched to safety by Monken, who probably saw him play safety in high school in Ga; since Ga Southern was the only other school he listed any interest in (they didn't offer).

It's a huge transition from covering receivers in high school to covering receivers in the FBS, and England looked about like you'd expect a recent high school grad to look out there. At least the USMAPS grads get some chance to see a lot of high school grads who are headed to D1 programs for a year before they move up to the big Army team. The best England has seen are the scout team receivers during last week's practice. I think Johnson was replaced because of too many missed tackles, but I don't think England was an improvement yesterday. He may be a good DB down the road.

I feel very strongly that as a person with no ties to the military or West Point that for me it is very much a we/they thing. Army Football wants my money via A club contributions and season ticket sales but they could care less about me in any other way as a fan. "They" don't make me feel like my fandom is wanted or appreciated at all. Not exactly on topic - but the response struck a chord with me.

Originally posted by Big_DNY:

I feel very strongly that as a person with no ties to the military or West Point that for me it is very much a we/they thing. Army Football wants my money via A club contributions and season ticket sales but they could care less about me in any other way as a fan. "They" don't make me feel like my fandom is wanted or appreciated at all. Not exactly on topic - but the response struck a chord with me.
Honestly speaking, I have no idea what you are talking about!

sign0093.r191677.gif

Back to the topic. It is time to either disband Army Football or drop to Division 3. This team would not be competitive in the Patriot League or any FCS Conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT