ADVERTISEMENT

GBK: ARMY SPRING WRAP UP PRESS CONFERENCE (AUDIO)

A.M. Allan

General of the Army
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
Army head coach Jeff Monken held his Spring wrap-up Press Conference on Monday, April 21st at 1 p.m. in the Nowak Auditorium inside Randall Hall.

10273906_628197263941851_3350812347575120146_n.jpg

Click link for the GBK audio.

I like the comments about demanding results from coaches. I always thought that was a problem with Ellerson era. I was at the game Saturday - my first spring game. I saw a lot of passing compared to games but that could be attempt to do what other teams will do. I saw some good hits too. Downside was some slow plays. Coach Monken looked good on the field in his black sweats. He was so lean I just call him "stripe" because he looked like a black stripe. I don't miss that camo hat. Standing a couple feet away from players it was clear the roster was VERY generous with its height/weight stats. Looking at Bacon up close I don't know how he survived at LB

Bacon Pic I took

Originally posted by ashokan:
I like the comments about demanding results from coaches. I always thought that was a problem with Ellerson era. I was at the game Saturday - my first spring game. I saw a lot of passing compared to games but that could be attempt to do what other teams will do. I saw some good hits too. Downside was some slow plays. Coach Monken looked good on the field in his black sweats. He was so lean I just call him "stripe" because he looked like a black stripe. I don't miss that camo hat. Standing a couple feet away from players it was clear the roster was VERY generous with its height/weight stats. Looking at Bacon up close I don't know how he survived at LB
If history tells us anything, Monken and Davis are no more likely to pass the ball than Ellerson and Shields did. GSU passed the ball 14% of their plays last year compared to Army's 18%. Both of GSU's quarterbacks had better pass effective ratings than Army's in large part because they got the ball into the end zone more often. Completion percentage was not significantly higher at GSU than at Army for either of their two quarterbacks. Both in the 50% range. Monken does use his slotbacks more as receivers, and of course we know about his employment of tight ends, but only one pass was caught by a tight end at GSU last year. It always seemed to me that Ellerson teams passed more in practice games than in real games, and the quarterbacks spent a lot more time throwing passes in warmups than in games.

The roster weights may be generous for some players but we also know that some players weighed significantly more than what they are listed on the roster. In a couple of interviews last season, Bobby Kough reported that he weighed a little over 260 even though his roster weight is only 239. Bacon's weight on the roster is only 207, which looks about right if he's actually 6' 0". I would agree that is certainly light for a MLB, but decent size for a DB. The two starting OLBs are listed at 206 and 196 on the roster; so it's hard to imagine that they weigh much less than that if Sanchez is actually 6-3 and Ricciardi is 6-0. Using roster weights, the average for the front 7 on defense is 227 with the three down linemen weighing in at an average of 250.

Congrats GoodKnight65, I heard your user/screen name mentioned when GBK (Charles Grevious) asked Coach Monken a question during the press conference. You are now officially my hero.
party0006.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DocJayy:
Congrats GoodKnight65, I heard your user/screen name mentioned when GBK (Charles Grevious) asked Coach Monken a question during the press conference. You are now officially my hero.
party0005.r191677.gif

I don't feel heroic, but thanks! The response was interesting and informative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT