ADVERTISEMENT

GBK: Army-Navy Week

A.M. Allan

General of the Army
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
Yes, it's been awhile since Army has taken down Navy and that's why Saturday's game has so much meaning to so many folks.

But as the Black Knights look to pull it together on Saturday against Midshipmen, there still have been some exciting games and memories that will be with us all for a lifetime.

With being said, we are asking that you do two things.Share one or more of your fondest moments/memories of the Army-Navy games.Give a shout out to the 2014 team and let them truly know that the Army fan base is behind them.
You can do that right here and make some noise.

My fondest memory would be the 1964 game in my senior year when Rollie Stichweh and co beat the Navy team headed by Heisman Trophy winner Roger Staubach. The game has been well documented in "A Game of Honor" and mentioned in other books and videos, and it really started in 1963 when time ran out as Army had 4th and goal on the Navy two to lose the game by 5 points.

One of the more interesting stories from that game was that 5 Army players played the entire 60 minutes of that game, a feat that is unimaginable in todays era of specialization when few if any players go both ways. It was a different era when the Syracuse offensive line was considered big weighing an average of 225 pounds from tackle to tackle. Bill Zadel was one of the biggest of our linemen at 6-4 and around 240, and he's one of the guys who played the whole game. Another was a Sonny Stowers, a 196 pound offensive guard and linebacker. Rollie Stichweh, who usually just played quarterback also played safety that game. It was a bold move by Dietzel that paid off.

This is the 50th anniversary of that game, and I know that Stichweh will be talking to the team and reminding them of the telegram the team got from General Eisenhower before the game.

Not on my list. We aren't going to a bowl game this year and we are all looking for some measurable progress from the new coaching staff. I think beating Navy after losing 12 straight is pretty damn important.

Originally posted by BrentDavis:

Originally posted by A.M. Allan:

Yes, it's been awhile since Army has taken down Navy and that's why Saturday's game has so much meaning to so many folks.
That's at the bottom of the reasons.
Perhaps not for you, but for me it is a very very important reason why winning the game on Saturday means so much.

Originally posted by pregirlsgrad:
Beating Navy my Plebe year in 1st Regiment and getting to "fall out" at the tables until Christmas! :)
LOL, I hear you pregirlsgrad.

Agreed 100%. The game is important every year but I'd argue that with each year and each loss, the importance of a win means much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT