ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Class

dpluff7

Yearling
Dec 12, 2007
It looks like this year's class is already showing some signs of potential. A freshman held the #19 team in the country down, but eventually lost 2-1. Not too bad for his first college appearance. 7 freshman found their way in the opener, and 9 appeared in the second half of the doubleheader. Hopefully this group can make up for a soft sophomore class.

The difference between a w and L in the Lafayette game might have been Freshman jitters. Joey Henshaw had the Ragun Cajuns off balance all night. He gave up 1 run, the difference in the game, in the first. He told me later that he'd never been that nervous. It wore off though and Henshaw pitched a gem of a game. Big upside to this big kid from Georgia who never pitched before last season. He can bring the lumber too!
happy.gif

Sounds like there is a TON of potential with a young Army team...we have at least 3/4 young arms that could/will blossum over the season(s) and give us a top notch pitching rotation.

Tough break to start off with such a close loss followed by the other losses but lots of good experience for league play. Also, not sure what happened to Cole White but we could have used his bat, pitching and veteran leadership to help calm down the young guys.

Bright future for the team...
This post was edited on 2/25 6:00 PM by chris_clane

Interesting point...I'll try and see what I can find out about Cole and when he'll be back in the lineup. I know in the off-season he was battling some shoulder problems, but I thought he would be back for the opener.

Also, Mitch Harris was MIA for Navy this weekend. Wonder what the story is there.

mitch harris hurt his shoulder falling while rounding 3rd base after hitting a home run during an intrasquad game before Navy's first game..Navy's Coach says nothing big and he'll be out 2-3 weeks...

Cole slipped rounding third, banged his elbow which jammed his shoulder. Although a blow, no one appeared overly concerned in San Antonio. I saw a report that said Cole expects to regain full motion in about 14 days. It is his left, non throwing, shoulder.

I noticed Harris was DNP also.

It would be nice to see some of the young bats get healthy this weekend at UMBC and go into VA on a roll when we face a very good Liberty team the following week.
This post was edited on 2/26 4:34 PM by chipporter

So Cole and Mitch Harris both hurt themselves doing the same ridiculous thing? Tell me this is a typo...

Chip,

I guess you were right about that freshman class...I will see the Knight against Holy Cross this spring.

Zlax,
I just had the inside scoop, is all.

It's not very often you see 6 or 7 freshman in a starting lineup in D1, (incl pitcher and DH). Army has a very bright future as these kids develop and mature. It's going to be fun to watch.
This post was edited on 2/28 7:51 AM by chipporter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT