ADVERTISEMENT

Food For Thought !

BlackGoldGray

Supe
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2008
BiAh25iIYAA2jFG.jpg

Originally posted by aleclee:
I think you overestimate the ability of 18 year old kids to objectively assess such issues.
Yes What was the purpose of this thread, to turn people off from football. .. This is what I (never) understand about some folks on here.... why is this food for thought? Why do you feel the need to place this on (our) site? Aleclee I swear I dont get it...

Originally posted by Bulletproof09:

I think you overestimate the ability of 18 year old kids to objectively assess such issues.
Yes What was the purpose of this thread, to turn people off from football. .. This is what I (never) understand about some folks on here.... why is this food for thought? Why do you feel the need to place this on (our) site? Aleclee I swear I dont get it...
It is obvious that you DON'T get it and the point from where I sit is that ACADEMICS is pivotal and that only a few are able to make it to the pro ranks. So many players in basketball and football who are on full athletic scholarships never graduate and never make it to the pro level.

And you don't see that as a big concern? Shame on you if you don't.

On the contrary. Perhaps where you live and come from that may apply, but particularly in the African American community, I think is almost heresy to suggest that academics is at the forefront of conversation surrounding playing college ball.

Originally posted by ArmyMadDog:

It is obvious that you DON'T get it and the point from where I sit is that ACADEMICS is pivotal and that only a few are able to make it to the pro ranks. So many players in basketball and football who are on full athletic scholarships never graduate and never make it to the pro level.

My point is "" We just trying to have a little fun in between time"" I'm sure we All understand the statistics of it all, but does it matter from our camp? Come on now, why be a kill joy. Half our boys not thinking down that road anyway. So what's the problem? Your enlightening them if the thought cross their mind? Please Stop!!! Its not that deep.

Originally posted by ArmyMadDog:

My point is "" We just trying to have a little fun in between time"" I'm sure we All understand the statistics of it all, but does it matter from our camp? Come on now, why be a kill joy. Half our boys not thinking down that road anyway. So what's the problem? Your enlightening them if the thought cross their mind? Please Stop!!! Its not that deep.
This message board is not made up of just the Army family and it's a valid topic. Just look at the GBK article on 4-star OL Tyler Carr and what he had to say on the subject.

Perhaps it is not serious for you and your son or nephew at this stage, but may it is for a parent and their son who is considering the big picture.

Tyler Carr

Originally posted by ducrot pepys:
None of our players should be "thinking down that road'. If they are, they should transfer to another school.
Oh boy I knew it was coming! !!

None of our players should be "thinking down that road'. If they are, they should transfer to another school.
Can you please elaborate on your point?

Originally posted by Boomerang87:

OWhyginally posted by ducrot pepys:
That the same horn Ellerson was blowing. If the NFL is where you want to be, this not the place for you. So who and where does this comment come from? How do you expect to have a successful program, if your quoting your hard work won't pay off here. How do you expect a young group of men to give you all they got, when your shoving words like that down their throat. Your taking the thrill of possibilities away from something they have a passion for. And I just thought it was RE, it's some of you fans too. Why even indulge yourself if you really don't support it. Why take the excitement away with details details details, ok some athletes Don't finish college with a degree. Why cause they can, if the NFL would change the qualifications to enter. It would change it for all of them. We know it's about the money! Everybody wants to get payed, sooner then later.
This post was edited on 3/10 8:29 AM by Bulletproof09

OWhyginally posted by ducrot pepys:
That the same horn Ellerson was blowing. If the NFL is where you want to be, this not the place for you. So who and where does this comment come from? How do you expect to have a successful program, if your quoting your hard work won't pay off here. How do you expect a young group of men to give you all they got, when your shoving words like that down their throat. Your taking the thrill of possibilities away from something they have a passion for. And I just thought it was RE, it's some of you fans too. Why even indulge yourself if you really don't support it. Why take the excitement away with details details details, ok some athletes Don't finish college with a degree. Why cause they can, if the NFL would change the qualifications to enter. It would change it for all of them. We know it's about the money! Everybody wants to get payed, sooner then later.
Well it that case, I hope things work out for you and your nephew/son!

The mission of the United States Military Academy is to educate, train and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the nation as an officer in the United States Army.

If a cadet is thinking "down" any "road" other than being an officer in the Army upon graduation, then he or she should transfer to another school. It is fine to have longer-term goals, but the immediate goal upon graduation should be to be the best 2LT that you can be.

hat the same horn Ellerson was blowing. If the NFL is where you want to be, this not the place for you. So who and where does this comment come from? How do you expect to have a successful program, if your quoting your hard work won't pay off here. How do you expect a young group of men to give you all they got, when your shoving words like that down their throat. Your taking the thrill of possibilities away from something they have a passion for. And I just thought it was RE, it's some of you fans too. Why even indulge yourself if you really don't support it. Why take the excitement away with details details details, ok some athletes Don't finish college with a degree. Why cause they can, if the NFL would change the qualifications to enter. It would change it for all of them. We know it's about the money! Everybody wants to get payed, sooner then later.
Thanks for another garbled series of thoughts. I'd ask for an explanation, but I know it wouldn't be worth it.

hat the same horn Ellerson was blowing. If the NFL is where you want to be, this not the place for you. So who and where does this comment come from? How do you expect to have a successful program, if your quoting your hard work won't pay off here. How do you expect a young group of men to give you all they got, when your shoving words like that down their throat. Your taking the thrill of possibilities away from something they have a passion for. And I just thought it was RE, it's some of you fans too. Why even indulge yourself if you really don't support it. Why take the excitement away with details details details, ok some athletes Don't finish college with a degree. Why cause they can, if the NFL would change the qualifications to enter. It would change it for all of them. We know it's about the money! Everybody wants to get payed, sooner then later.
Thanks for another garbled series of thoughts. I'd ask for an explanation, but I know it wouldn't be worth it.
I still appreciate you asking anyway.... But this is the thing, everybody in their mother (understands) the goal here. Its a (MILITARY) school. Aside of that this is one of Army (football) site where we get to talk about (Football). No matter if you feel that they should or shouldn't be feeling whatever way about what their future goals should be. The other thing is some have mentioned that "we finally have a HC that just about football" So what do you suggest we talk about on a football site? You may not like what im saying, but dammit im going to talk about (football) an embrace it in everyway it should be embraced on this "GBK" Army football site... And where there's a site to discuss "Army Military Life At the Academy" I will make sure I keep it in context on the site... We say we want a coach that separate the two, by yet you dont.... hahahahaha its really funny.

The mission of the United States Military Academy is to educate, train and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the nation as an officer in the United States Army.

If a cadet is thinking "down" any "road" other than being an officer in the Army upon graduation, then he or she should transfer to another school. It is fine to have longer-term goals, but the immediate goal upon graduation should be to be the best 2LT that you can be.
I agree with your comments on the subject, but I don't come here to discuss if player-so and so is going to make a great 2LT. I do come here throughout my day to discuss Army football. And believe it or not, there are conversations that are connected with some players who are West Point grads and who are actually playing in the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

There's even a thread that the discussion is around, who could be the next Black Knight playing in the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

However, I do feel that if any player who commits to West Point to play football here has only one primary objective and that's to play Division I football and their principle goal is the NFL, then as you stated, TRANSFER schools or don't even come here.

Originally posted by DocJayy:

I agree with your comments on the subject, but I don't come here to discuss if player-so and so is going to make a great 2LT. I do come here throughout my day to discuss Army football. And believe it or not, there are conversations that are connected with some players who are West Point grads and who are actually playing in the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

There's even a thread that the discussion is around, who could be the next Black Knight playing in the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

However, I do feel that if any player who commits to West Point to play football here has only one primary objective and that's to play Division I football and their principle goal is the NFL, then as you stated, TRANSFER schools or don't even come here.
Why do they have to ""transfer schools or dont even look here"????? First of when you really get down to the really nitty gritty of it all "" West Point "" is a lifestyle change (point) You would transfer out if you dont think this is for you anyway, which has nothing to do with (football) so why try to put stipulations on it ( cause its football ) come on now really... How many of these males or females bail out, because they realize this is not for them before they go into their junior year... For the guys that I know left, it wasn't about no football career either. Now I get the fact that you state coming in " football " should not be a priority here, but dont say dont even come here. If you saw something in them to recruit them, allow them to see and experience it first before you start prepping them on the does and dont's. Alot of them dont know what to expect coming in, as you so stated a few a now in the NFL or looking to be apart of it, so why discourage them with the speech this not the place for you??? How do you know if your discouraging them coming in?
This post was edited on 3/10 8:51 PM by Bulletproof09

They have to adapt just like (everybody) else.... stop singling them out cause their football players. ... I would bet money that those words aren't said to the baseball players, Why because they can go right to the MLB after graduation. I'm just saying we have to change our thinking process too. You state this not the place for you, because of the career choice that you think is not a good career choice. We could be turning away some good players because of it, that could grow to be some great Leader's just like the rest of them. Alex Amidon made the decision to go to in the Navy, after doing 4yrs at Boston College. He was on his way to the NFL, but decided to serve his country. So you really have no grounds to stand on by saying this isn't the place for you.
This post was edited on 3/10 8:47 PM by Bulletproof09

College basketball especially has become the minor league of the NBA and it is very very sad, IMO.

Why not establish a "B" League and those players that feel they want to go that route and get paid, with hopes of making it to the NBA do so, just as it's done in baseball. Those players who are typically designated as a 1st round NBA pick as freshmen aren't really student-athletes to me.

One & Done !

Originally posted by ccsblackknights:
College basketball especially has become the minor league of the NBA and it is very very sad, IMO.

Why not establish a "B" League and those players that feel they want to go that route and get paid, with hopes of making it to the NBA do so, just as it's done in baseball. Those players who are typically designated as a 1st round NBA pick as freshmen aren't really student-athletes to me.
I agree CBK, like I said its about the money. They could care less if these guys get a grade A education, if something should happen that your not able to play, you would always have your degree to fall back on... The main reason some of them become penniless after their career ends quickly for whatever reason... Which IMO needs to change, stop letting them get in the majors without a degree.... "Pro" should mean something.... You can even play Professional Soccer as a teen, you never have to go to college to play Pro.... like i said its all about the money, if you dont care about your future why should they. Telling a (child) and his parents that he or she can makes millions at the age of 17 to 20, who are not financially stabled, is a dream come true to many...

This post was edited on 3/11 11:01 AM by Bulletproof09

Originally posted by ccsblackknights:

I agree CBK, like I said its about the money. They could care less if these guys get a grade A education, if something should happen that your not able to play, you would always have your degree to fall back on... The reason some of them become penniless after the their career ends quickly for whatever reason... Which IMO needs to change, stop letting them get in the majors without a degree.... "Pro" should mean something.... You can even play Professional Soccer as a teen, you never have to go to college to play Pro.... like i said its all about the money, if you dont care about your future why should they. Telling a (child) and his parents that he or she can makes millions at the age of 17 to 20, who are not financially stabled, is a dream come true to many...
I'm really not sure which side of the equation you are on, but that's really neither here nor there. The question I would have for many student athletes is if your particular sport were not part of the college lifestyle, would you be even attending?

I also feel that West Point's culture is more important than winning games and yes you can have both, but don't sacrifice the mission for the game itself (winning the games).

Originally posted by NJFAN:

I'm really not sure which side of the equation you are on, but that's really neither here nor there. The question I would have for many student athletes is if your particular sport were not part of the college lifestyle, would you be even attending?

I also feel that West Point's culture is more important than winning games and yes you can have both, but don't sacrifice the mission for the game itself (winning the games).
Im on the side where (education) is more important then anything... No matter what college you go too! And if you feel that WP culture is more important then winning (games) then why are you wasting your time coming on this site complaining or even acting like you care so much about this team winning? Why do you feel it would sacrificing the mission, cause of having a winning team? Im not being sarcastic with you either NJfan, I think what you said was really interesting to me...
This post was edited on 3/11 9:39 PM by Bulletproof09

Bullettproof, I think you have selective reading comprehension skills sometimes. NJFan made it crystal clear and I agree that if we [West Point] begin by sacrificing the mission of the institution by allowing otherwise non-qualified students-athletes who happen to be football players into West Point for the sake of fielding a winning team - then we are just like most other colleges in America today.

NJfan also pointed out very clearly that you can have both and there are programs (e.g., Stanford) that appear to be doing a pretty good job in managing both.

Bullettproof, I think you have selective reading comprehension skills sometimes. NJFan made it crystal clear and I agree that if we [West Point] begin by sacrificing the mission of the institution by allowing otherwise non-qualified students-athletes who happen to be football players into West Point for the sake of fielding a winning team - then we are just like most other colleges in America today.

NJfan also pointed out very clearly that you can have both and there are programs (e.g., Stanford) that appear to be doing a pretty good job in managing both.
I say this respectfully, ""Im Not Talking To You"" nor did I ask you anything! Njfan do not need a interpreter....
wink.r191677.gif

I say this respectfully, ""Im Not Talking To You"" nor did I ask you anything! Njfan do not need a interpreter....
wink.r191677.gif
In that case and I also say this respectfully, send njfan a personal note and don't comment if you don't want others to respond in a forum that is open to ANYONE with the right to comment on any subject at anytime.

WestPoint07 I don't know what your beef is, but it's yours. Everytime i say something you don't like, you want to be captain save a Poster. I'm gonna leave it at that. And that's me keeping it in context. You having some kind of mental breakdown about my post... maybe you need to see somebody about your situation. .. lol

Ok Njfan you said don't sacrifice the mission. I agree with you on that. But why would you feel the mission would be sacrificed by having a winning team? After a few of my friends explain it too me, without being so sarcastic about it. If gave me A better understanding.

Bringing up the mission in a football discussion should be like Godwin's Law. The problem with such arguments is that, taken to their (il)logical conclusion, you end up at a point where there is no intercollegiate football, not basketball or hockey. Dan Hinote (x1998) played ten seasons in the NHL.

Godwin's Law

Bringing up the mission in a football discussion should be like Godwin's Law. The problem with such arguments is that, taken to their (il)logical conclusion, you end up at a point where there is no intercollegiate football, not basketball or hockey. Dan Hinote (x1998) played ten seasons in the NHL.
Aleclee please help me understand why we can't just have a good conversation about Army "football" without the discussion of the mission being threw in there. This is a football site, don't get me wrong I respect the fact this is a military school. But I want to talk about the excitement, of Army football without the drill sergeants always referring us to the rules of the military. This is about football here, why can't people enjoy the sport that West Point gives us for enjoyment of the sport. Right here Right now in this arena, it's about football. Why can't it be in context?

They are not Lt. right now, and not until they graduate. So again we are looking at (future) Lt. But while they keep moving in that direction, please let us enjoy it like all the other (college) football programs. ..

This post was edited on 3/12 3:15 PM by Bulletproof09

IMO, mission comes up when grads can't reconcile the lousy record with the notion that "there is no substitute for victory". They claim "mission", I claim institutional apathy and ineptitude.

But why would you feel the mission would be sacrificed by having a winning team?
That is not what njfan said. Not even close.

Thanks BN, but im so over that.... Aleclee I guess they have to say something to make up for the losing that been taking place. I get that!!!!! Specially when your use to doing things a certain way. Hopefully this will be the turning point for everyone involved....time will tell.

Originally posted by DocJayy:
Not completely related, or perhaps not at all, but it's funny if you ask me.
I'm not gonna ask you but I'll agree with you.
smile.r191677.gif

DocJayy :
Thank you ! for hitting the nail on the head. The people that subscribe to this website should keep in m,ind this is not just Army Football but West Point Football. It is a lot different than any other College in the nation not just to play football but to get the education that you came here for. "THE PRIMARY reason for coming to West Point is not to go to professional football but get the best education you can, Serve Honor and Protect your Country all the while you have some fun and play division 1 football.

Anyone seeking to play professional football should be going to a college football powerhouse like Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida State to seek their dream of being a professional football player.

West Point is a place for Leaders of Men to enjoy playing the game of football in what free time they have.

Originally posted by goarmyfan:
DocJayy :
Thank you ! for hitting the nail on the head. The people that subscribe to this website should keep in m,ind this is not just Army Football but West Point Football. It is a lot different than any other College in the nation not just to play football but to get the education that you came here for. "THE PRIMARY reason for coming to West Point is not to go to professional football but get the best education you can, Serve Honor and Protect your Country all the while you have some fun and play division 1 football.

Anyone seeking to play professional football should be going to a college football powerhouse like Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida State to seek their dream of being a professional football player.

West Point of leadersht is a place for Leaders of Men to enjoy playing the game of football in what free time they have.
I understand that being the primary reason, come on guys that goes without saying... But still trying to understand "why" they can't have more then 1 primary goals here? I get (all) the ones who been here before, understands that to the fullest. You have been conditioned to feel this way to complete the assignment (understandable) But what I'm seeing more and more is after Campbell did what he done as far going to the NFL it opened the door to more possibilities if wished... And whats happening now with Anderson, McNary, Villanueva, Mooney, even Steelman, and our future hopefuls. That even with what they have done for the service, its something they wanted to do.... Even tho you say they are only here to enjoy the game, its more to it then that. You guys understand winning is a huge part of "leadership" . Its more then "enjoyment" its "fulfillment", which stays with them til its done.... Yes I believe West Point has help developed that in them, I truly understand that. And it should be imposed upon them that its very important too when being recruited, we would be "winning" more games.... One should not be seen as less important, just my opinion on the matter...

This post was edited on 6/23 2:00 PM by Bulletproof09

ADVERTISEMENT