ADVERTISEMENT

Coming Around

chipporter

First Captain
Jul 10, 2007
Well, it seems as though the team is starting to hit a stride. They sputter and cough every now and then, but the pedal is hitting the metal more than ever and it seems to be picking up steam.

Heading into Navy this weekend, Army is riding a three game winning streak while Navy is the opposite, coming in losing three in a row.

Kevin McKague was hitting 94 on Wed when he struck out 4 in the ninth to get the save against Manhattan. Clothier, Fouch, and Koenigsfeld all pitched very, very well last weekend, and our 2-2 fate didn't match the pitching effort as we let Drew's stellar performance slide through our fingers.

I get the sense that these players are really beginning to believe in themselves now. If we can go into Navy and continue to put up what have of late, been dominant performances, that may be the catylist that ignites all the potential that this team has.

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY! (like a stinkin' drum)

I just got off the phone with Chris Simmons, the team captain. They sound very confident after their 14-3 beating of Navy today. Another great performance by Drew Clothier on the hill and some solid hitting. Let's hope they can continue the thrashing tomorrow. Nothing beats beating Navy at Navy...according to a certain head coach.

dpluff you know these things are true big man..it was basically a great offensive onslaught..at one point in the game 1 out up 8-0 runner on third..navy had their infield back..obviously giving up right away in the 5th inning..a lot of Navy's hitters look fooled by Clothier and our hitters looked great

And it was hard not to notice how stretched out the Army team seemed after rotations...as well as numerous HBPs so far in the series

Re: Wow!!!

Wow...coming around? More like flat out domination with the 7-4 win today and the series sweep!!! They flat out put together one of the best/most complete 4 game series I can remeber. We got great hitting (with clutch hits from freshmen), pitching and oustanding defense all weekend long.

Seems like we have had tons of talent this year but our pitching has been slower to catch up with our bats but we had 4 VERY quality starts this weekend and a lot of younger guys are starting to really adjust. Congrats to Kirk Porter for a fine outing today giving up just one hit!

When any of you talk to the fellas let em know we watched/listened all the way over in Europe and tell them it's a great start (but NO LETDOWNS going into Marist and Lehigh this weekend!!! lol)
This post was edited on 4/14 4:52 PM by chris_clane

Ton of fun weekend would be an understatement. Every time you turned around, a different player was making a major contribution. Ernesto and Stramara going yard, Cole White just plain dealing on the mound vs. Mitch Harris, Kevin McKague's game winning RBI, and today, Tony Capozzi was where ground balls went to die, he was stellar. Even Pluff's name came up in the stands today as Porter and Anderegg warmed up in relief and a former OR on TDY in Washington and at the weekends games told us how rubber armed Pluff was that he could be ready in twenty fast throws.

Simmons was a rock this weekend too. Called all the pitches, clutch hits, a wall behind the plate and total energy catylist for the team. Give him some of the credit for having three Army pitchers go 7, 8 and 8 innings.

Honestly, we made Navy look like they didn't belong on the same field with us.

A first ever sweep of Navy in Annapolis. That's how they roll.
This post was edited on 4/15 1:23 AM by chipporter

My favorite stat (other than 4 wins on the weekend) is that in 33 innings of baseball, NAVY led for exacly ZERO of those innings...I don't care who you play in college baseball, that is a tough feat to accomplish!

Second favorite stat, we outscored them 33-10 on the weekend.

Any word on Henshaw's status? He is yet another young, strong arm and good bat w/ power for us.

Talked with Joey over the weekend and they were going to do another MRI this week with dye to determine the extent of his injury and whether he is ready to return to throwing.

BP's for sweeps was the pitchers motto on Monday. Anytime Army sweeps an team, the pitchers get to take batting practice. Grimes was explaining to Porter that they'll wait for a day when the wind is blowing out. McKague has promised to video tape the hilarity.

By the way, there were more Black Knights fans at the game than Middies fans and way more cadets than mids. Our heckling section was all over it...very funny stuff.
This post was edited on 4/15 8:40 AM by chipporter

chipporter,

That's funny that I came up this weekend. I wish I knew who the OR was...they are some of the best people I have ever encountered. I will say that I appreciate the "shout-out", but it only took Monte Jones and I three throws to get hot. In fact, by junior year Monte and I would give the hat (signal we're ready to go into the game) before we even threw a ball. If done properly, you can get 6 throws in in the time it takes Coach Sottolano to get to the mound to yank the outgoing pitcher. And if he stalls before taking the ball, then you can add on a few more. A word of advice from the Patriot League's all-time appearance leader to all the Army relievers...

I was able to see several of the wins at this great series this weekend. I believe that you can attribute the slow start this year to Cole White's injury and the abundance of plebes in critical positions. White is back and looked great besting Navy's superstar pitcher. The plebes have are shaking off the effects of plebe year which equates to better consistency. This could be the best baseball recruiting class ever. I have had the chance to meet all the players. What quality young men. Add to that the fact that IMO, Joe Sottolano is the best coach at West Point, and the future looks good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT