ADVERTISEMENT

Can Anyone Catch? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

ashokan

Commandant
May 3, 2011
I know that Army isn't a passing team, but man when balls hit guys in the hands they have to catch them just sometimes. I'm calling this passing game the Stoney Lonesome offense because guys can be standing alone and squared off but the ball still bounces off those stone hands. I know its only the spring game andt mean to be rude but things are THAT bad.

On the flip side, Josh Jenkins INT return and leap along the sideline was like All American play. He looks a little better than everyone else. Last time I saw a player like that in person it was Devin McCourty at Rutgers.

EDIT: Came across the passing stats

Kaufmann, Matthew 3-8-0
Gonzales, Seth 0-3-1
Bradshaw, Ahmad 4-9-2

Total all receptions = 52 yards

This post was edited on 4/20 8:10 PM by ashokan

ArmyWestPoint Gold vs ArmyWestPoint Black (04/18/1

I was reading an article about spring game attendance figures. Army was listed as having 2015 fans (Ohio St was #1 with 99,391). That seemed lowish to me. Sal Interdonato thought 3000 was the size but later was told 2.500 would be more accurate. He also mentioned the passing/receiving woes

"Biggest crowd I've seen for a spring game in my eight-plus season covering the team. At first, I estimated more than 3,000 fans but was informed 2,500 was a more realastic number…Army will need to throw the ball more effectively than it did in scrimmage and game-like conditions.Quarterbacks Ahmad Bradshaw, Matt Kaufmann and Seth Gonzalez combined to complete 7-of-20 passes with three interceptions. A couple of throws were dropped. But, in other cases like Alex Aukerman's 15-yard nterception return, bad reads were made…http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/2015/04/18/spring-game-blog/

This post was edited on 4/19 9:30 AM by ashokan

Big Ten close to clinching top three spring attend

Interesting article on spring game attendance. It's not surprising to see Ohio State lead in that area. The population of metro Columbus is over a million. Nebraska drawing 95,000 is more impressive considering the size of Lincoln, and to get 68,000 to the Penn State spring game is pretty impressive as well. If you've ever driven I-80 through Pa, you know that there aren't too many people in that part of the state. They must draw a lot of students to their spring game.

We were not to far behind Notre Dame, UConn, Miami, and Georgia Tech, all of whom dwarf West Point in student population.

Trainor can catch it...although he missed game with a thigh bruise from opening kickoff. Found his HS Film from two years ago.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCh2TJnjXg

"Trainor can catch it...although he missed game with a thigh bruise from opening kickoff. Found his HS Film from two years
ago....."

Yes he could be good. Some schools don't like light and wiry (hard gainers) guys but coaches like Parcells and Belichick always have one compact but quick mighty mite who is hard to see among the other players - and who scoots past you in a flash. Kid made some good hand catches too. He played many years with QB Devin Fuller (#37 recuit in nation in 2012) who is now at UCLA. I'm sure this kid has lots of practice catching the ball (and blcking since Fuller was a good runner) and won't be stone-handing. I was hoping WR would be upgraded by fall.

This post was edited on 4/20 6:30 PM by ashokan

"Did you say Bradshaw, Matt and Seth combined 7 of 20 Passes???
scared0010.r191677.gif
Well Aj should come in blazing!!!!! However on the flip side of that, we have the summer to pull it together...... we got some serious work to do, which we knew that... People got to step up bottom line, Monken said, some freshman going to come in and Be put to work... we starting over again, it's going to be OK I'm sure."

Offense lost a lot of talent last year. Munken hasn't been shy to remind people of that. The usual assumption would be for year 2 to be better but with lost players (and sketchy recruiting in past years) this year could be a rebuilding year. Anybody who can play option QB is a stud in my book because they get pounded while having to play breathless. That said Army needs to start seeing some flash from QB spot as well as WR. When I watch plays they are just a bit on slo-motion side of things. You have to have a little explosion in D1. When Steelman ran option I could lose track of the ball and what was going on (especially on field level). Now plays look like they are slowly unfolding like roses blooming.

This post was edited on 4/20 6:42 PM by ashokan

Hey my friend, how come you not on the premium side, which I never see you there? This is a good thread, which IMO needs to be on12th Knight...

"Hey my friend, how come you not on the premium side, which I never see you there?"

I don't like to know too much about recruiting. After actual games that becomes a whole other trip with all kids of teases, ups/downs etc. Following a few teams over the last ten years I've seen 5 stars be complete busts and 2 stars become All Americans. Only time I check recruitng is the week of signing day in Feb. I saw my first Army game in the 60s and seen a lot of players come and go. The "long gray line" looks good from a distance and I don't want to get too close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT