ADVERTISEMENT

Cadet Seating......

Sep 18, 2014
How many would like to see the Cadets seated where they used to sit? I would rather have them on the Army sideline where they can encourage the team as opposed to the visitors side where they do not accomplish anything more than baiting the visiting team......that's not the Army way.

They are where they are for one reason - TV. The cameras are on the Army sideline with the press box and having the cadets in the background as opposed to empty seats is what is wanted. Guaranteed background.

I certainly would like to see the Corps of Cadets go back to wearing dress grey to the games. It just adds a certain dignity that ACUs don't.

(Yeah, I know I'm an old guy.)

Boy do I agree that the Corps should get back into Dress Gray for all the games - We are the long gray line - Our distinctive uniforms are what the public expects to see West Point cadets wearing - Dress gray presents a sharp military appearance that has made West Point cadets look great for many generations - The Corps looks like a bunch of sad sacks in their BDUs/fatigues and it is really getting old - West Point has always had reasoned and appropriate rules for wear of the various uniforms - Fatigues used to be kept in the trunk rooms and not permitted to be worn during the academic year unless cadets were on a field exercise or on police call - The argument that we need to look more like the real Army or more "tactical" is BS - The cadets are on campus (or at an away campus) at a football game - not in the field - Let's get the Corps of Cadets back to looking like West Point cadets should look like - Not like a basic training company ready to go pick up the trash!

I just want them to be able to sit down a whole game.... OUCH!!! Their poor feet and legs..... man I feel for them

"I certainly would like to see the Corps of Cadets go back to wearing dress grey to the games. It just adds a certain dignity that ACUs don't."

I was wondering why they were wearing ACUs. They looked hot on a very hot day. Somone said something about longsleeves for "sunburn protection" but I've seen other sunny days where wore grey. I know many people hate that camo pattern but they blended into the seat well lol

Originally posted by pregirlsgrad:

Boy do I agree that the Corps should get back into Dress Gray for all the games - We are the long gray line - Our distinctive uniforms are what the public expects to see West Point cadets wearing - Dress gray presents a sharp military appearance that has made West Point cadets look great for many generations - The Corps looks like a bunch of sad sacks in their BDUs/fatigues and it is really getting old - West Point has always had reasoned and appropriate rules for wear of the various uniforms - Fatigues used to be kept in the trunk rooms and not permitted to be worn during the academic year unless cadets were on a field exercise or on police call - The argument that we need to look more like the real Army or more "tactical" is BS - The cadets are on campus (or at an away campus) at a football game - not in the field - Let's get the Corps of Cadets back to looking like West Point cadets should look like - Not like a basic training company ready to go pick up the trash!
Amen to that pregirlsgrad!

I think DG would look way better on TV than ACUs. Problem is, that's not the Army way today. Remember back when soldiers were expected to wear Class A or Class B uniforms when traveling? That was a long time ago.

There were several reasons for swapping sides that the Corps sits on
1. Yeah, TV is a big factor. The Great American Public wants to see cadets and the prvious camra angle restricted most sight lines. Plus, the stadium looks fuller on TV when the Corps is prominent.
2. Premium seating. The cadets were sitting in some of the most desired seats in the building. Fans did not want to sit where Corps is sitting now. Year after year, the after action reports suggested moving the Corps and selling those seats.
3. Evacuation Plans. Our previous evacuation plan in case of serious emergency in the stadium put the Corps at risk. Now they are closer to a main exit without having to cross the stadium and put civilian fans at risk as they depart. The current seating plan is better for the Corps and all the Fans.
4. Most college programs put their student body behind the opposing teams. We moved the opposing fans to the south Endzone.

I also dislike wearing ACUs to the game and think that the Corps should be in the seasonal dress uniform - white over grey or dress grey. However, I feel for the Corps. ACUs are much more comfortable and easier to keep clean or maintain. Ruined dress shoes or stained white shirt from a game stink. The Corps must be there, must stand and must stay all game. I can allow a comfortable uniform now and then.
This post was edited on 9/19 1:20 PM by RedlegRanger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT