ADVERTISEMENT

Big Tipoff vs. SMU tonight !

KnightNight

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2008
North Carolina
Tonight's 8:30 tipoff in Dallas against SMU is a big game for the b-ballers. On paper, Army should win this game. SMU has some athletes but tends to play somewhat undisciplined play. They tend to rush shots and handle the ball a bit sloppily at times. This should play well into Army's defensive mindset. Athletically, SMU does have an advantage - they a bit taller and quicker than the Black Knights. Home court will not be an advantage fro SMU. Getting out quickly and playing the game at Artmy's tempo and not allowing an early run by the home team should allow the Black Knights to deliver win #10. I could see if SMU gets some early, quick baskets and gain confidence, a double digit loss could ensue. To earn the win, Army has to continue their improvement in rebounding the ball. If within 5 of SMU at the end of the night, that will be a direct sign of the final result. If we lose the boards by 10 or more, it could be a long night. Also, we are due to lose a game due to our consistently poor free throw shooting. I believe 67% + will be needed tonight to bring home the victory. We'll revisit with a summary later tonight.

A loss is a loss is a loss. The keys I suggested were not the keys - Army matched SMU rebound for rebound and shot ---- 100% - yes, perfection from the foul line. Unfortunately , their 12 marks were more than amatched by SMU's 31 attempts at the line. It was there that they outscored Army by 13 points - Army also came out cold barely shotting 35% in the first half while SMU shot around 55% thus building a 12 point halftime lead. After being down by 16 with approx. 6 mins. left, Army made a long awaited run cutting the Mustange lead down to 5 points on two occasions. SMU continued to hit their free throws ( 25 -31) and that was the game. Heading to Portland , Oregon will not be easier as the Pilots of Portland have a pretty decent team. Army is clearly an underdog going into that one. Not a bad loss and the team hung tough - hopfully something is learned from this game and momentum can be regained in our final 2 non-league game.

Should be noted that the Patriot League continues to struggle across the board. Teams seem to be continually underperforming. Something will give over the next 2 months . Look for and expect the Black Knights to win 10 games in the league this year which will earn them their first winning campaign in their 19 years in the league. I am strangely confident that the best is yet to come.

It seems like Army just didn't have it against SMU.

That said, this team has made drastic steps in a very positive way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT