ADVERTISEMENT

Army -Navy Part 1 2009

KnightNight

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2008
North Carolina
Well, this would be a classic opportunity to ask for more cohorts to jump on the bandwagon arfer an important win against Navy. Unfortunately, I just can't ask for that. The 76-71 over the Mids was a needed win by a desperate team. If they would have completely blown the nice 18 point lead earned midway through the 2nd half, I might have started to think the unthinkable - The team might have written the season off.

After opening League play with losses by 22,11 and 20 points, while averaging a mindnumbing 46 PPG, all the cards were on the table . We needed each and every one of them to cash this victory in. I hope some of the football recruits were able to attend and feel the general intensity of the rivalry. Maybe they we the catalyst for victory ?

In many ways the scores and record to date for Army asketball are somewhat deceiving, but the now famous Bill Parcells line " You are what you are" rings true with this year's basketball team. They run offense with satisfactory precision and work hard on the defensive side of the ball but huge issues persist. Woeful issues with turnovers, incredibly poor free throw shooting and equally inempt field goal shooting have caused what should have been a promising season into an uneventful march to nowhere.

Personally, I cannot stand the thought of another single digit win season and power rating in the 320's. Basketball, as a key sport in America, should matter at West Point. The Patriot League is not exactly the limelight of the sport. Again, and as we have seen far too often in sports we care about, Navy finds ways to win. We should too.

This team must find a way to play to their potential. The skillsets are there , they can match up in this league to positive effect. I prefer not to attempt to point any fingers but am grateful that their shooting eye emerged on the right day against the right team. They need and should expect to win both remaining games in this current 6 of 7 games at home homestand. Hopefully, today was a snapshot of what will be for the last full month of the season - EXPECT to win because we're ARMY. Crush Lafayette on Wednesday. Beat Navy again in February !

Good win over Navy !

I'm glad they hung in there to hold on the Midshipmen and pull in a win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT