ADVERTISEMENT

Army Black Knights Sweep Holy Cross on Senior Night

Airstrike

Cow
Dec 14, 2005
The Black Knights took the best blows Holy Cross could throw at them and ground out a hard fought victory to honor the 3 seniors in the final regular season home game. Ella Ellis took the lead and carried Army to victory. Major history is being made, folks...including a record 8 wins in the Patriot League. Army secures a home court for the 1st round of the PL tournament!

Next up is Lehigh on the road, and a chance to avenge an earlier season loss. Army could possibly end up with a 2 seed in the PL tournament by winning coupled with a Lafayette loss. Don't count out these Black Knights! Go Army!!!

What was most impressive was their displayed poise last night. It is much improved since games in the 2012 section of the schedule. Excellent free throw shooting was key ( Ella was simply perfect) and showing they now have a receipe to find a way to win depite making barely 35% of shots from the field speaks volumes.
We'll need a 45% plus shooting day on Saturday if we plan to beat the Mountain Hawks who sunk Navy by 30 last night.

That poise is a direct result of experience. We all knew these plebes were good, but nothing tempers steel like a hot flame. They had been successful at USMAPS, but playing this level is another game altogether. A famous coach once said, "The only good thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." Well, these plebes are essentially sophomores now, with 28 regular season games under their belts. Couple that with the continued leadership of Ellis and the rest of the seniors, you have a much more mature, composed and effective group that channels their youth and enthusiasm in a better direction than earlier in the season.

No doubt, Lehigh will be a difficult challenge, especially on their home court. A Herculean effort will be needed and I believe these guys are capable of pulling it off. Can't wait!

KnightNight, I seem to recall a post from you back earlier in the season (and I paraphrase) that you would be very happy with an 8-6 PL season, something that had never happened before. Well, sir...the worst Army can do now is 8-6 in PL regular season play. Perhaps you were somewhat prophetic!
wink.r191677.gif

Go Army!! HOOAH!!!

This post was edited on 3/1 2:22 PM by Airstrike

Go Army! Beat Lehigh!! I like our chances...Something tells me we are going to play exceptionally well tomorrow..I will be watching on TV,

Hooah!!

Airstrike -- I take no credit. I ask for that every year
cool.r191677.gif
... but in reality.there were reasons to believe there was light in the tunnel. Good effort today - hated the late turnovers. We can play with anyone in this league. We are 3 wins away from being a huge National B-Ball story. Time for the guys to practice their interview skills - 4 Freshman and Ella - nothing like that going on anywhere this year.

ADVERTISEMENT