ADVERTISEMENT

Army Basketball - Where's the fanbase ?

KnightNight

Commandant
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2008
North Carolina
After watching Army play a very determined game against American this afternoon in the nation's capital I could not get over the fact that barely 100 fans were there supporting the Black Knights. Why ? It's not like there is a shortage of folks with a relationship to West Point living in the DC area. The chilly weather left very few reasons to spent the day outdoors. Does USMA have something against the sport of basketball ?

Coach Crews and his staff have done a superb job of making basketball relevent again. This year's team had a VERY legitimate chance to make it to the NCAA tournement. The last 2 season's relative success and the squad returning for the 2008-9 season certainly provides hope for continued improvement.

I think it's time we get excited about b-ball again. These cadets get it - they work hard and play within a system that will allow them to be highly competitive against the teams we are scheduling against. We participate in a great league that is well suited and balanced for the Academy and have an underappreciated coach who frankly could secure employment across the country ; especially when some AD's take the time to see what he's been able to accomplish at West Point.

My hat's off to this year's team - your efforts are not completely unnoticed. Hope you enjoyed the Patriot League season as much as I did !

Have no idea where the fan base is? There are plenty of graduates in the D.C. area. Sadly most are indifferent apparently. The basketball team has really impressed me. I have seen them on TV twice, and followed them as best I could off the web. They have played their butts off, and have battled thru adversity like champions. Crews and his assistants deserve huge credit for turning this ship around. Lets hope our players keep developing, and a couple of scores emerge. We will then be solid again next year! Go Army!!

ADVERTISEMENT