ADVERTISEMENT

Army Basketball-Great effort

Hooah75

Commandant
Gold Member
May 12, 2006
Congrats to our team on a successful 2012-13 campaign- I was proud of our effort against Bucknell yesterday..In the end, the fact they (Bucknell) had been there before was probably the difference maker..They sunk almost all their free throws thru that final 2+ min stretch..We were not as deadly, after being nearly flawless for 35 Mins...I have seen us on TV for 5 games now, so that has shaped my impressions of the team..We play good basketball..and all on the court play very well together...I heard one of the commentators comment that Ferguson has the most upside because of his height...He has pretty good hands and plays hard-he just needs to gain about 20 Lbs. Lennox plays an interesting role- The game almost seems to become frenic when he is in there sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in an oh my god we are out of control way..The 5 freshmen (who I have seen play allot) are all poised beyond their years and seem to exude quiet confidence...I also read on facebook that the team at Army Prep this past year was also very very good, so it will be interesting to see how they will mesh in..We will miss Ellis and Springer-Pancone with his leadership I am certain added more to the teams successes than we will ever know--I hope we continue to improve and make more noise in the PL than we did this year for the foreseeable future,

GO ARMY!

Dead on assessment Hooah ! Next year we add 2 pretty good programs to the conference - Loyola - Md. and Boston University. Should further upgrade the league. Very helpful that we are going UP and not DOWN in our level of play. Zach will soon be getting calls from teams in bigger conferences which must be accepted as our reality. He is proving he can both recruit and coach, all with a style that is viewer friendly.

Yes, Bucknell's experience and years of playing together made just enough difference to keep the young Black Knights from getting over the hump Saturday. An outstanding season for Army basketball this year, and the program is moving in the right direction. Spiker's recruits are paying off and as each new batch arrives, it will be interesting to see how each is able to contribute. Just as this year, some will make it to the travel squad to play for Army, and some will be on the JV to push the Varsity guys in practice. Whoever ends up where, the bottom line is they all contribute in some way to the success of Army basketball.

No doubt, Fergie made huge strides (no pun intended) this year and still has a tremendous upside! Lenox is a good complement and changeup to the steadier and bigger Cox, plus they need the rest while spelling each other as they guard the full court every trip. Wilson and Toth are big time scorers...and they will only get better. Toomey gives you size and surprisingly good perimeter scoring, as well. With this successful year under their belts, they will be the core around which Spiker builds his team for next year.

Herbeck and Stire will bring senior leadership, along with Kincade, but I suspect will be more off the bench guys who provide very experienced depth. Williams, Washington, Gramling, Plomb, Rollo and Weldon also have a year of more limited experience, but valuable nonetheless. Mix in some of the upcoming prepsters/directs and possibly even one or two of this year's JV guys and you have another huge roster that Spiker can use for his Hockey style "line change" substitutions. From an overview perspective, there is a lot of success likely to be coming in the years to come.

Congratulations to the Black Knights for their first winning season in 28 years. Well done! Can't wait to see them next year!

Go Army! Beat Navy!! HOOAH!!!

I echo congrats to the team and to Spiker. Ella Ellis will be missed. He improved every year which is a tribute to him and the staff. Spiker has been the first Army coach since I've been following the program to consistently land recruits who are 6-7 or above who can play. Hopefully this freshman class can stay together like the 2001/02 and 2009/10 teams did and grow as a team. If they do this team, unlike those, can post winning seasons and get to the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT