ADVERTISEMENT

1944-1950 Army Football teams

wilpf33

Recruit
Silver Member
Nov 23, 2020
Are there any Army fans out there who remember The Army teams of 1944-1950? Anyone who saw those teams play?

I did not, but just saw them featured on ESPN playing against ND
My first memory of Army Football was the Army-Navy Game 1950 . I was 9 and listened to it on the radio in our high school gym where I was watching older
brother 's basket ball practice. Have no idea why , but I was rooting for Army during what was a very tense game. Recall the Army Team's captain from 1949 had just been KIA in Korea a few days before the game and it was all over the news . Army , undefeated entering the game , lost to Navy ( 14-2 ) for the first time in many years. Big upset! Even so I become diehard Army fan after that ( was a tough go in 1951 ) and listened each year until 1954 when I first saw them play on TV. In 1950 recall Army QB was Bob Blaik and their All - America End ( both ways) was Dan Foldberg. I would meet Dan Foldberg 17 plus years later during my second stint in VN . LTC Foldberg replaced our Bn Commander who had been seriously wounded- later died . I had C Co. Experienced seven BN Cdrs in combat ( over two tours) and Dan Foldberg was far and away the best . A humble, soft spoken , very bright man Dan Foldberg was a natural leader --unfortunately he got hit and evacuated much too soon - never to return . I had not found the right moment to mention the 1950 Game as we had other concerns in early 1968 -- just as well. I read that Col Foldberg passed away recently .

My first memory of Army Football was the Army-Navy Game 1950 . I was 9 and listened to it on the radio in our high school gym where I was watching older
brother 's basket ball practice. Have no idea why , but I was rooting for Army during what was a very tense game. Recall the Army Team's captain from 1949 had just been KIA in Korea a few days before the game and it was all over the news . Army , undefeated entering the game , lost to Navy ( 14-2 ) for the first time in many years. Big upset! Even so I become diehard Army fan after that ( was a tough go in 1951 ) and listened each year until 1954 when I first saw them play on TV. In 1950 recall Army QB was Bob Blaik and their All - America End ( both ways) was Dan Foldberg. I would meet Dan Foldberg 17 plus years later during my second stint in VN . LTC Foldberg replaced our Bn Commander who had been seriously wounded- later died . I had C Co. Experienced seven BN Cdrs in combat ( over two tours) and Dan Foldberg was far and away the best . A humble, soft spoken , very bright man Dan Foldberg was a natural leader --unfortunately he got hit and evacuated much too soon - never to return . I had not found the right moment to mention the 1950 Game as we had other concerns in early 1968 -- just as well. I read that Col Foldberg passed away recently .
I was raised hearing about Blanchard and Davis on the radio. Never saw them play, but did see Army-VMI in 1949 with the great Arnold Galiffa.. Army wasted Navy that year 38-0. I have videos of Amy football from 1945 - 1958. The talent during the mid 1940's was all pro deep! until they were hit with the cribbing scandal. On Brave Old Army Team!

Reactions: RabbleNumberOneFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT